Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 is not compatible with new Lightbridge 2

OCD

Reaction score
On the DJI website they have a FAQ's tab, the question was asked if the inspire is compatible with the Lightbridge 2 and the answer is NO- Inspire 1 is not compatible. Well that just sealed the deal with me to never buy any more DJI products ever again. The Inspire was suppose to be a professional grade platform and has Lightbridge in it which should be expandable but obviously its not. The Lightbridge 2 can transmit 2 video signals at the same time which I know almost everyone that owns an inspire wishes they could have a pilot cam. Lightbridge 2 not compatible with their flagship inspire 1? I own a S1000, inspire 1, Phantom 2 vision plus V3, f550 and multiple NAZA v2 systems. After this "not compatible with inspire 1" BS, I vow to never buy another DJI product again. Thoroughly disgusted with DJI now......... Sorry for the rant but between the firmware issues DJI has and little to no support, there are new upcoming companies that are starting to listen to the community and deliver quality products along with stellar support. Now if DJI comes out with a pilot camera option for the inspire or makes the Lightbridge 2 compatible then they might have just saved themselves. I have the Inspire with the dual remotes but its pointless to have 2 when you cant fly and run camera at the same time without fear of hitting something. I guess you can do it 1 time then send it in for 8 weeks to be repaired by DJI. DJI needs to read the posts written by the owners of their products and start delivering or they might flop just as fast as they grew.

Reactions: DavidK
Just because something is not "compatible" doesn't mean it's not "capable". Compatible would mean that you buy this upgrade and plug it in. Lightbridge isn't just a plug in feature. Upgrading would involve swapping a lot of parts to make it work. I'd imagine if you had the time and the money you could send in your Inspire 1 and upgrade it. But that would be costly and take forever. Maybe when the warranty runs out you could swap them yourself because you wouldn't be voiding anything.

That's what I am saying, either add the pilot cam weather it be a module/ kit or make the Lightbridge 2 transmitter compatible with the inspire 1. Behind the nose cone there are extra slots for something, maybe even the pilot camera. All im saying is if its capable, then at least let people know that its in the works.

I think its most definitely in the works for Inspire. There can be hundreds of reasons why they aren't announcing it yet, it could be that they're trying to implement a forward facing camera for pilot which would make things a bit more complex than just upgrading the lightbridge to v2. If you tried dual operation on inspire you realize that single camera is limiting the workflow and aftermarket modifications are only making things more bulky and complex, adding extra weight to aircraft and extra equipment on the ground, new attachments need extra batteries, etc, etc. With release of X5R camera system Inspire became a high end cinematography tool and a really cheap one too (very obvious if you see limitations of other solutions out there and compare prices). For DJI to just offer an upgrade to lightbridge without addressing other issues would be foolish and they aren't fools, judging by the announcement of X5R they really stepped into world of cinematography as a big player. We will just have to wait a bit longer for it, Inspire just became a big shot platform so it will get big shot toys for us to waste our money on :D

The LB just has nothing to do with the Inspire, and in the I1 is not a separate component.
You sound like you want to stick a square peg in a round hole. Different products with different targets. The "no compatibility" notice on the site of course refers to using a LB2 remote with I1 and vice versa, it's obvious the air unit has nothing in common.

Reactions: Mani
Lightbridge 2 will probabaly be one the features included with Inspire 2.
Many users requested dedicated FPV camera, Lightbridge 2 supports dual stream, also improved 1080p streaming and HD-SDI, so it's quite clear what we will get with a new Inspire.

I do not understand why this new improved Lightbridge, and the new controller, should be considered as an insult made by the company to current DJI owners.
It's like blaming Apple for not having Forcetouch on my Iphone 6, altough it looks identical with IPhone 6s.
They promised modular design, and recent announcements proved their promise.
Should I be upset that Matrice supports dual battery and extended flight time, just because I purchased an Inspire 1 first ?
Come on, the DJI news are awesome for this industry and we should be very pleased with the new offered possibilities.
Indeed, we'll have to reach our pockets again, but what you pay is what you get.
And in my opinion, DJI helped thousands of cinematographers all over the world to get incredible shots, at a fraction of their previous costs.
Just a few years ago, before Inspire 1, you had to rent a chopper and a van of gear to be able to achieve that Inspire 1 achieves today.
Think of DJI Ronin too, and the budgets required to get those shots before.
You can have them, easily, out of the box, using 1500 dollars and your creativity.

Bottom line, saying "I will never buy DJI products again" is a little bit inappropriate to me.
Right now we can enjoy every promised featured, and much more.
The new possibilities offered by Zenmuse X5 series and DJI Focus are extraordinary and I feel privileged to witness a genuine technological revolution, to which DJI has contributed as one of the major players.
So a little bit of gratitude to those clever minds in DJI labs looks like common sense to me.

Reactions: Kilrah
I completely agree with your statement but there needs to be a certain amount of redundancy built in. With each evolution of technology there is loss of backward compatibility but BACKWARD compatibility helps instill confidence. Since we are going to quote Apple - I can still use my Ipad 1 with a lot of apps by upgrading ios. Yes some applications will not run but many do.

If DJI simply thought of the existing user base and market LB2 as backwards compatible with LB1 or even LB 1.5 that was shipped with Inspire / P3 (with reduced functionality) it will endear to a wider audience. I have 6 handsets here with my existing technology. If I want another air device I will have to buy another handset. I asked DJI if they would make a air device to work with the current crop of handsets shipped with the Inspire and P3 - no response.

I am not bashing DJI in anyway. I am simply pointing out that adding backwards compatibility is part of the skill. Many top technology companies spend hours looking at this - USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB2 and 1. They could have simply changed the connector and laughed all the way to the bank. Not arguing but simply putting a different perspective.

Lightbridge 2 will probabaly be one the features included with Inspire 2.
Many users requested dedicated FPV camera, Lightbridge 2 supports dual stream, also improved 1080p streaming and HD-SDI, so it's quite clear what we will get with a new Inspire.

I do not understand why this new improved Lightbridge, and the new controller, should be considered as an insult made by the company to current DJI owners.
It's like blaming Apple for not having Forcetouch on my Iphone 6, altough it looks identical with IPhone 6s.
They promised modular design, and recent announcements proved their promise.
Should I be upset that Matrice supports dual battery and extended flight time, just because I purchased an Inspire 1 first ?
Come on, the DJI news are awesome for this industry and we should be very pleased with the new offered possibilities.
Indeed, we'll have to reach our pockets again, but what you pay is what you get.
And in my opinion, DJI helped thousands of cinematographers all over the world to get incredible shots, at a fraction of their previous costs.
Just a few years ago, before Inspire 1, you had to rent a chopper and a van of gear to be able to achieve that Inspire 1 achieves today.
Think of DJI Ronin too, and the budgets required to get those shots before.
You can have them, easily, out of the box, using 1500 dollars and your creativity.

Bottom line, saying "I will never buy DJI products again" is a little bit inappropriate to me.
Right now we can enjoy every promised featured, and much more.
The new possibilities offered by Zenmuse X5 series and DJI Focus are extraordinary and I feel privileged to witness a genuine technological revolution, to which DJI has contributed as one of the major players.
So a little bit of gratitude to those clever minds in DJI labs looks like common sense to me.

Don't forget to treat this like keeping up with computer technology as well... Always something new on the horizon and not always fully backwards compatible. It's just the nature of the beast as this relatively new technology evolves.

I know this is an old post but have to ask: is the Inspire 1 a Lightbridge 1 device? Can it be linked to a stand alone Lightbridge base unit as master or slave? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84