Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 JS04X- Ready for fly!!!!

Reaction score
I introduce myself, I am Luca, I am Italian, and I wanted to present the beta version of a project that I am carrying out to create a drone dedicated to SAR operations.
The project is called JS04X, it is based on Inspire 1 drone, to which several changes have been applied.
I list the salient features:

Redundant system with 3 batteries, controlled with an anti-fault and redundancy circuit to ensure maximum reliability.
The batteries are integrated with a self-heating system, to maintain the constant temperature of the batteries.
Batteries are hot swappable.
The system is equipped with 4 FPV cameras for the pilot, which can be selected remotely individually or visible in mosaic at the same time.
The camera placed on the nose can be tilted 45 ° upwards and 45 ° downwards, it can maintain leveling with the ground thanks to the use of inclinometers.
The video transmission is entrusted to a radio link at 5.8Ghz and 2Watt of power.
The system is equipped in the front camera with OSD with auxiliary telemetry, equipped with GPS and barometric sensor.
An ARDUINO UNO system was installed, equipped with a LoRa connection at 868mhz for the transmission of data detected by interchangeable sensors:
Geiger sensor
MultiGas sensor
ARDUINO is also equipped with a double barometer and accelerometer and inclinometer, it also mounts temperature and humidity sensors for sensor management and calibration.
These are some of the main features, I will update you later.

20210320_195741.jpg20210320_195935.jpg20210320_195946.jpg20210320_195929.jpg20210320_195802.jpg20210320_195756.jpg20210320_203028.jpg

WOW - super interesting; not sure what it’s for but it is fascinating to look at.
... what’s are the mods for?
... how much extra weight?
... what’s flying time?

WOW - super interesting; not sure what it’s for but it is fascinating to look at.
... what’s are the mods for?
... how much extra weight?
... what’s flying time?
Mod for SAR (search and rescue) , about 1,02 kg with battery , about 18/20 minute

Reactions: CoreySnipes
images.jpeg

Dears friends,

I used two ideal diodes in parallel, to avoid the phenomenon of self-recharging of the batteries. they also act as a discharge balancer.

20210402_091208.jpg20210402_091155.jpg

How do you attach the extra batteries to the Inspire battery? Do you have some pictures of that? What do you solder to?

Last edited:
Ok, I waited until I saw enough to make some actual commentary without supposition. May come across as "harsh", but if this is supposed to be a serious project, then this should be accepted as critical input.

First off, if this is for SAR operations, you would want a hi-res 4K digital camera (and one that has night vision ideally), not 4 low-res analog cameras. The 4 low-res analog cameras are fine as add-ons, but you NEED a high-res camera as well.

More to the point you want FLIR as well as 4K in the visible spectrum. That is why the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual is EXACTLY that. Same with the Parrot Anafi USA.

Also, there is an issue with some of the electrical connections. They will not achieve what you hope for. I could go into detail, but I am not being paid to "fix" someone's design.

If you are actually 43 years old, I would expect you to be a professional (or at least mature enough to be driving towards a professional attitude). If you are, in fact, a kid (say 12-18, ie, not in college yet), I have no issue telling you exactly where you went wrong, but even if you are 19-22 or older and in college, I would expect the ability to read and understand electrical specs enough that you wouldn't have the errors that you do. Also, some of the fabrication stuff is non-professional as well (screws are meant to be kept to a minimum without the ability to contact electrical wiring, and you ALWAYS secure all jacks with ALL fastening points that are intended for that purpose, at least you would use two on opposing sides, amongst other things).

This is all stated as such because this was presented as a "professional" application for SAR. If this is a "toy" and done as something "cool", great. But if it is intended to have a professional application it needs to be a bit more polished.

The way it is configured, it WILL fall from the sky at one point or another. Again, has to do with the electrical setup.

Dear Brian,
I think you are confused at how much, I'll explain.

- The drone does not use the 4 cameras (1 with tilt) for viewing images for SAR activities, but only for the pilot's navigation (there is currently no drone that can boast this function)
- The drone is equipped with a ZENMUSE XT thermal camera and a ZENMUSE X3Z camera according to the activities it has to carry out.
- In addition, the drone can host 6 different types of sensors.
- As for the wiring and electronics, all the electronics published in the photo were in the "beta" version, the version currently installed on the drone (for commercial reasons not visible) follows all aeronautical standards, including the use of self-extinguishing silicone cables. All the electronic boards and cables are then subjected to a covering and fixing treatment with resins that guarantee resistance and stability.
In addition, the drone has undergone tests and technical checks in the laboratory. I honestly do not understand some of your criticisms try to explain them to me, maybe you learn something new.
I understand your evaluations, but currently I could not publish the final photos, as the drone is the subject of patent and technical coverages.

Thanks anyway for the constructive criticisms, they are always welcome.

Ok, I waited until I saw enough to make some actual commentary without supposition. May come across as "harsh", but if this is supposed to be a serious project, then this should be accepted as critical input.

First off, if this is for SAR operations, you would want a hi-res 4K digital camera (and one that has night vision ideally), not 4 low-res analog cameras. The 4 low-res analog cameras are fine as add-ons, but you NEED a high-res camera as well.

More to the point you want FLIR as well as 4K in the visible spectrum. That is why the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual is EXACTLY that. Same with the Parrot Anafi USA.

Also, there is an issue with some of the electrical connections. They will not achieve what you hope for. I could go into detail, but I am not being paid to "fix" someone's design.

If you are actually 43 years old, I would expect you to be a professional (or at least mature enough to be driving towards a professional attitude). If you are, in fact, a kid (say 12-18, ie, not in college yet), I have no issue telling you exactly where you went wrong, but even if you are 19-22 or older and in college, I would expect the ability to read and understand electrical specs enough that you wouldn't have the errors that you do. Also, some of the fabrication stuff is non-professional as well (screws are meant to be kept to a minimum without the ability to contact electrical wiring, and you ALWAYS secure all jacks with ALL fastening points that are intended for that purpose, at least you would use two on opposing sides, amongst other things).

This is all stated as such because this was presented as a "professional" application for SAR. If this is a "toy" and done as something "cool", great. But if it is intended to have a professional application it needs to be a bit more polished.

The way it is configured, it WILL fall from the sky at one point or another. Again, has to do with the electrical setup.
Dear Brian,
can you tell me some similar project ???

OK , now I call BS...

First off, to use a DEAD platform for a set of "patents and technical coverages" makes no sense. You would use a CURRENT product, like the Inspire 2.

Second, anyone I have ever known that does engineering fab and buildup follows ALL "best standards and practices" in EVERYTHING, even prototypes. Since if you have a failure during development you need to make sure it wasn't an errant connection or anything else that caused the problem, thus prototyping is usually done with a level of detail ABOVE what the final product has. in regards to mechanicals (such as screws that are too long and touching wires).

Next there is no X3Z camera. It does not exist, unless you somehow modified a X3 for some reason and decided to call it an X3Z.

Just because you use cables that won't allow fire to propagate does not mean they are a "standard" for this application. You can make that stuff up, but it does not apply.

And, again, if you can't understand where your electronics are faulty in regards to adding in batteries, then good luck to you, but you WILL have a failure. Once more, I am not being paid to fix your design, and I won't. I am just pointing out where you obviously have a flaw.

Also, in regards to "similar projects", there are TONS of drones being developed for the military, SAR, firefighters, police, etc, etc... This is a MASSIVE industry at this point with some MASSIVE money being thrown at it. Again, all of those are being done as new product designs and prototypes, NOT using a dead and obsolete platform for development.

Don't get me wrong, we all love our Inspire 1 drones. They are great technology. But it is a dead end.

For what it was intended for it is a great tool, or a plaything and a development platform for what you want, great. Have at it. But don't act like this is going to be a new product offering in the marketplace. That just speaks of a lack of reality.

The arrogance is also way out of place. Being able to take criticism is part of being a professional. If you are not going to afford for all the details, don't ask for input (which is what you did by posting pictures of your pet project here). It would look to me like you are looking for ego pump and adulation more than you are looking for "REAL" input.

If you want to talk technical, great, we can go there, but with an attitude like someone else doesn't "get it" is pretty arrogant. I already lead with pointing out some major issues. You are also proving that you are either an engineering student, or a kid. If you are a professional adult, then I would expect a level of desire in making sure you came across with a bit more humility.

I also found out this week that a number of users are actually quite a bit younger than their profiles state. I understand this is a forum that is mostly comprised of older folks that take this kind of thing seriously, thus why I decided to not mention much until the pictures proved the initial "assumptions" out to be more of what it is, than what it could be. It is obvious there are a number of users that want to be taken seriously thus they state they are older than they are. Doesn't change the fact of the way things come across when someone doesn't like what someone says.

OK , now I call BS...

First off, to use a DEAD platform for a set of "patents and technical coverages" makes no sense. You would use a CURRENT product, like the Inspire 2.

Second, anyone I have ever known that does engineering fab and buildup follows ALL "best standards and practices" in EVERYTHING, even prototypes. Since if you have a failure during development you need to make sure it wasn't an errant connection or anything else that caused the problem, thus prototyping is usually done with a level of detail ABOVE what the final product has. in regards to mechanicals (such as screws that are too long and touching wires).

Next there is no X3Z camera. It does not exist, unless you somehow modified a X3 for some reason and decided to call it an X3Z.

Just because you use cables that won't allow fire to propagate does not mean they are a "standard" for this application. You can make that stuff up, but it does not apply.

And, again, if you can't understand where your electronics are faulty in regards to adding in batteries, then good luck to you, but you WILL have a failure. Once more, I am not being paid to fix your design, and I won't. I am just pointing out where you obviously have a flaw.

Also, in regards to "similar projects", there are TONS of drones being developed for the military, SAR, firefighters, police, etc, etc... This is a MASSIVE industry at this point with some MASSIVE money being thrown at it. Again, all of those are being done as new product designs and prototypes, NOT using a dead and obsolete platform for development.

Don't get me wrong, we all love our Inspire 1 drones. They are great technology. But it is a dead end.

For what it was intended for it is a great tool, or a plaything and a development platform for what you want, great. Have at it. But don't act like this is going to be a new product offering in the marketplace. That just speaks of a lack of reality.

The arrogance is also way out of place. Being able to take criticism is part of being a professional. If you are not going to afford for all the details, don't ask for input (which is what you did by posting pictures of your pet project here). It would look to me like you are looking for ego pump and adulation more than you are looking for "REAL" input.

If you want to talk technical, great, we can go there, but with an attitude like someone else doesn't "get it" is pretty arrogant. I already lead with pointing out some major issues. You are also proving that you are either an engineering student, or a kid. If you are a professional adult, then I would expect a level of desire in making sure you came across with a bit more humility.

I also found out this week that a number of users are actually quite a bit younger than their profiles state. I understand this is a forum that is mostly comprised of older folks that take this kind of thing seriously, thus why I decided to not mention much until the pictures proved the initial "assumptions" out to be more of what it is, than what it could be. It is obvious there are a number of users that want to be taken seriously thus they state they are older than they are. Doesn't change the fact of the way things come across when someone doesn't like what someone says.
Dear Brian,
Tnks for all, but I don't have time for this. Sorry.

Sorry, might be an interesting pet project but nobody can seriously use this for SAR.
It simply doesn't have the equipment necessary.
Nor is there any point in having a 'gas sensor' on board.
No client or company is going to let you use a UAV for gas sniffing unless the the aircraft is ATEX certified to be used in explosive/combustible environments.

Without thermal, SAR UAV's are next to useless since visible light cameras cannot 'see' through vegetation/canopy.
As soon as light starts to fall, you will not be able to detect any type of heat signature.

Nice hobby project but will not be taken seriously in a life or death environment.

Reactions: Brian Fist
Sorry, might be an interesting pet project but nobody can seriously use this for SAR.
It simply doesn't have the equipment necessary.
Nor is there any point in having a 'gas sensor' on board.
No client or company is going to let you use a UAV for gas sniffing unless the the aircraft is ATEX certified to be used in explosive/combustible environments.

Without thermal, SAR UAV's are next to useless since visible light cameras cannot 'see' through vegetation/canopy.
As soon as light starts to fall, you will not be able to detect any type of heat signature.

Nice hobby project but will not be taken seriously in a life or death environment.
I am amazed that you have not read the above, the drone uses the thermal camera .......
In my post I talked about gas ...... but not all gases are explosive, but many are dangerous for human life, do you know ammonia ???
I am really sorry, I thought that within this forum I could find constructive and interesting people ....... instead it was not. There is much interest in judging and little in understanding things well.

PS (can someone point me to a drone with similar characteristics .... with atex certified ..... so I buy it and do it first !!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkaur