Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro Complete In-Flight Failure - BATTERY OVERHEAT

Ok so it is a failed battery...
This is precisly my point, if a failed battery lead to catastrophic loss, then it should be covered by warranty. The output was limited to protect the battery, if that output limitation was not enough to protect the battery, that is a flaw in design as the battery is the most important core technology in the aircraft.
This is really all i need, appreciate all your help guys, this fourm is a good resource.
This is new technology, Dji needs to know how to build better more usable, safer and friendlier technology, this is one way to do it.
Again appreciate the help!

I hate to say it, but I think you'll find nothing but frustration on this point. DJI's "Smart" batteries are designed to shut themselves down if they detect a damaging failure. This, of course, seems counter-intuitive, since a fall from elevation is also damaging, and takes your craft with it. There are many threads on this forum about this subject -- similar shutdowns can occur in cold conditions, and crafts have been lost with no compensation from DJI.

The logic is strange -- there's nobody here that would sacrifice their UAV in order to save a battery, if that was even an option.

Those that fly in cold weather have created in-flight battery warmers to prevent their Smart battery from smarting their UAV into the ground. But your problem wasn't due to cold weather, of course.. I understand. But the logic is similar.

DJI will likely argue that had the battery not shut down it would have failed soon after due to overheating -- which would have been a crash as well. They are looking at the distance, time, throttle position, and angle of the craft and determining it was being pushed so hard that it was going to fail anyways due to the overload. I believe they would argue the battery failure was imminent, and would not have gotten you back.

I don't support the logic, but the ability to override their shutdown appears as though it wouldn't have helped you. There's a reason that people are opting for 3rd party battery back-up systems like Ralph at FlyHighUSA are selling.

I hate to say it, but I think you'll find nothing but frustration on this point. DJI's "Smart" batteries are designed to shut themselves down if they detect a damaging failure. This, of course, seems counter-intuitive, since a fall from elevation is also damaging, and takes your craft with it. There are many threads on this forum about this subject -- similar shutdowns can occur in cold conditions, and crafts have been lost with no compensation from DJI.

The logic is strange -- there's nobody here that would sacrifice their UAV in order to save a battery, if that was even an option.

Those that fly in cold weather have created in-flight battery warmers to prevent their Smart battery from smarting their UAV into the ground. But your problem wasn't due to cold weather, of course.. I understand. But the logic is similar.

DJI will likely argue that had the battery not shut down it would have failed soon after due to overheating -- which would have been a crash as well. They are looking at the distance, time, throttle position, and angle of the craft and determining it was being pushed so hard that it was going to fail anyways due to the overload. I believe they would argue the battery failure was imminent, and would not have gotten you back.

I don't support the logic, but the ability to override their shutdown appears as though it wouldn't have helped you. There's a reason that people are opting for 3rd party battery back-up systems like Ralph at FlyHighUSA are selling.

Yep I completely agree... Their logic is flawed...

I'm taking this whole thing to small claims court, I know it will sit there for a year or 2, but the point will be made, they need to engineer a better fail safe battery system... It's too dangerous to fly these units if this is a potential outcome of a failed cell on a battery. DJI has been served with papers. I really don't care if I see a cent...

Have fun flying guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan