Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro Complete In-Flight Failure - BATTERY OVERHEAT

Can we back off a little guys?
Whilst I will never agree with anyone flying over 400' without special permissions in place I think the OP has been hit in the pocket and with the comments on the forum regarding airspace etc I would hope educated a little as well.
Can you turn down the flames a little?

Can we back off a little guys?
Whilst I will never agree with anyone flying over 400' without special permissions in place I think the OP has been hit in the pocket and with the comments on the forum regarding airspace etc I would hope educated a little as well.
Can you turn down the flames a little?
My bad i probably threw a little bait myself

I'm happy to help you anyway I can, as long as it's within the bounds of legal flight. None of that will push the limits of technology though.
Im selfish, really just helping myself. Via Crash observation
I'm betting pilot error not Dji but thats politics

Sorry for your loss but at the end of the day failures will happen, the battery is the absolute weak point in any flight system unless you look at multiple packs (Q the M600).

At the price point all these craft are in we have to expect thing will fail, it's inevitable and you need to accept it will happen and you will loose money, time and effort.

It's incredible this stuff is as reliable as it is TBH, if you fly your likely to loose one once, if you not willing to accept the cost implications of that then this is not for you.

Oke the flight was not to smart but i liker realy wanna no what the temperature of your battery where on that fatefull day
So others can learn from that.

Myself i notice with my inspire + X5 that my 3 battery's get pretty hot after + 10 minutes (+/- 40 Celsius)
Living in a far smaller country so my top range is limit to max 500 meters (far enove for me) and hight restricted to 120m

A UAV pilot in Calgary was arrested for much less than this. Never fly above 400 ft especially in a aerodrome traffic zone. If you looked at a local radar screen from an ATC tower, you would be surprised how many manned aircraft there are flying all over the place. Some at or below 1000.

I'm just going to say, regardless of the legality of the flight or anything else, this still sounds like a technical failure of the craft. And, since that is the topic of thread, why the need for all the hostility?

I just got an Inspire Pro and I plan on flying it extensively in challenging conditions this summer (remote areas with tall mountains, cliffs, and lots of water, launch & recover from boat, fly considerable distances over open ocean). These sort of reports are helpful for me in figuring out what can go wrong and what I need to be careful of. So, thanks OP for sharing your experience.

One of my biggest fears with the inspire is the "smart" battery. I personally would strongly prefer the battery contain absolutely no discharge protection, much better to permanently destroy one battery and have a good chance of somewhat controlled descent vs have the entire craft fall out of the air from altitude.

Yesterday was a fantastic day to try out my newly purchased Phantom 4 and Inspire 1 Pro from back in March (yeah for price drop)
After flying for part of the fantastic afternoon, with both units and a few recharges, at 6:40PM EST, I was over 1000ft in altitude, and 6000ft in distance away from my home point when I began getting a "battery overheating malfunction" error at 58% discharge . I was over a heavily wooded area on the shores of the Ottawa River, and started to immediately come back to the home point, I had no opportunity to land, there was simply no where to land. I slowed the Inspire 1 down as much as I could but around 3210ft away at 941ft altitude (still in a heavily wooded area) there was a complete failure on the battery, and the Inspire fell, the last thing I saw was a image from the gimball rotating, and the blades still going and it looked to be branches in its view.

Battery was 97% charged on takeoff- a TB48- flew longer router earlier in the day. No indication at anytime prior to battery failure.... Is this just a freak thing?

BTW, I've started the process with DJI, but I'm sure they are not going to cover the Olympus 12MM lens and filter I had on the X5...

Went back in the morning to with better light to see if I could find anything, within 50ft of the last contact point, I found debris. The Inspire is a total loss, The camera is no where to be found, the gimball is in piecies.
It was a miracle I found anything, it's literally in a swamp.

If you can upload your GO app flight record to healthydrones.com and post a link here we might be able to see a bit more into the issue

Greetings forum,
For the guys that are telling rock that his flight was not smart (or legal), I think it is excellent to see the UAS community policing themselves. To those of you trying to diagnose exactly what went wrong, well, that is why I joined the forum - to learn better techniques and procedures for safer, more successful flights. This place is great!

Yesterday was a fantastic day to try out my newly purchased Phantom 4 and Inspire 1 Pro from back in March (yeah for price drop)
After flying for part of the fantastic afternoon, with both units and a few recharges, at 6:40PM EST, I was over 1000ft in altitude, and 6000ft in distance away from my home point when I began getting a "battery overheating malfunction" error at 58% discharge . I was over a heavily wooded area on the shores of the Ottawa River, and started to immediately come back to the home point, I had no opportunity to land, there was simply no where to land. I slowed the Inspire 1 down as much as I could but around 3210ft away at 941ft altitude (still in a heavily wooded area) there was a complete failure on the battery, and the Inspire fell, the last thing I saw was a image from the gimball rotating, and the blades still going and it looked to be branches in its view.

Battery was 97% charged on takeoff- a TB48- flew longer router earlier in the day. No indication at anytime prior to battery failure.... Is this just a freak thing?

BTW, I've started the process with DJI, but I'm sure they are not going to cover the Olympus 12MM lens and filter I had on the X5...

Went back in the morning to with better light to see if I could find anything, within 50ft of the last contact point, I found debris. The Inspire is a total loss, The camera is no where to be found, the gimball is in piecies.
It was a miracle I found anything, it's literally in a swamp.

I don't care about the problem you as. You are an absolute idiot for flying so high and far. VLOS means just that. At 6000 feet away you can NOT see the Inspire
You didn't factor stray aircraft or eagles that far away or at 1000 feet did you?
I suggest you go home and stay away from flying. You are ruining it for all of us.
I hope DJI does not replace it free. You don't deserve it!
I know the Editor asked us to tone it down a bit but this reckless behaviour on your part really infuriates me !

Regardless of how you fly the aircraft, with 70F ambient temps and 50% battery left you should NOT normally be able to have the aircraft fall out of the sky from battery overheating.

What worries me most is he was on the very latest FW, so I want to try to figure out if this is some new and potentially frightening "feature" DJI has slipped into the latest FW that awaits ALL OF US.

So.

If you can upload your GO app flight record to healthydrones.com and post a link here we might be able to see a bit more into the issue

Greetings forum,
For the guys that are telling rock that his flight was not smart (or legal), I think it is excellent to see the UAS community policing themselves. To those of you trying to diagnose exactly what went wrong, well, that is why I joined the forum - to learn better techniques and procedures for safer, more successful flights. This place is great!

I hope we haven't scared @Smart Like Rock away.. I'm sure he has some things of value for all of us as I hope we can offer him as well. Sharing is what this place is all about ... and also a little bit of peer pressure helps to keep everyone flying legally.

Reactions: slim.slamma
TB48 batteries are nothing but trouble. We as a business do not use them any more. Have lost one aircraft and had several close calls. Batteries go from 50% to 2% and aircraft goes into auto land. Data shows temps of over 65C. They are not worth the extra 2mins of Flight time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08