Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro (not so pro?)

Reaction score
Is it just me but............

I would have thought with the new version of the Inspire being firmly marketed towards 'Pros' (after all it is called the Pro) and extolling the virtues of the MFT camera and interchangeable lens etc, would it not then make sense to be selling a dual remote version?
In all professional UAV environments you will have a pilot and a payload operator to get the best out of an aerial platform, so DJI appear to have not thought of that one. :rolleyes:
Seems to only be marketed with ONE controller?

I think they did it to keep the sticker shock down. Even though pretty much everyone ordering one will order a second controller (I did), the reality is there will be people out there who either already have a controller for some reason, will purchase the controller at a later date, or just don't have a second operator at the moment and want to see if they can go it alone.

Only selling the Pro with a second controller would have alienated potential buyers in those situations. I am a fan of having options so I think they were smart to keep the entry price lower and accommodate all scenarios by offering the Pro with a single controller.

What I foresee happening is that dealers will bundle the second controller as a package, and some will even offer the Pro with no controllers like they did for the I1 standard in case you already have an I1 or you crashed one and just need a replacement bird.

Now if only they would raise the bitrate.....but I digress.

Isn't the dawning of intelligent flight modes supplied by DJI and the likes of Autoflight Logic making the need for a second controller less relevant? Let's face it...these are already great and only going to get better......

I think controlling the camera will be difficult with one operator. I can't attest to this since my I1 Pro is on order and I did not have one previously, but from everything I have read the only way to get full use of the camera gimbal is with a second operator.

I don't see intelligent flight modes eliminating that. Maybe for simple stuff like follow me, but when you are going for a specific look, only an actual camera man will know how to shoot the shot. I do agree that the flight modes may decrease the need, but I don't see them ever eliminating a second operator.

I think controlling the camera will be difficult with one operator. I can't attest to this since my I1 Pro is on order and I did not have one previously, but from everything I have read the only way to get full use of the camera gimbal is with a second operator.

I don't see intelligent flight modes eliminating that. Maybe for simple stuff like follow me, but when you are going for a specific look, only an actual camera man will know how to shoot the shot. I do agree that the flight modes may decrease the need, but I don't see them ever eliminating a second operator.
Have you used programs like Litchi or Autopilot? You can operate the gimbal with the joysticks while the app flies your craft. I feel i am a pretty good pilot but when the apps are flying the craft it is so smooth and so easy to concentrate on the camera to make that super smooth too.

Have you used programs like Litchi or Autopilot? You can operate the gimbal with the joysticks while the app flies your craft. I feel i am a pretty good pilot but when the apps are flying the craft it is so smooth and so easy to concentrate on the camera to make that super smooth too.
No I haven't tried, call me old fashioned but I'm a little paranoid when anything other than me is flying the craft. I have never used any of the auto features such as auto land, auto takeoff, return to home, etc.

My next big project is filming a commercial for a yacht company while their yachts are underway. I don't see how any automated software will tell the drone to track the yacht properly while I operate the camera. Maybe the software has a tracking feature, without having used it I can't say one way or the other if it would help.

Reactions: AndersE
any dji drone is far from Pro level, with all their software nannies and gps blocked zones and gimmicky half *** autonomous flight modes. Their cameras are quite sub par as well as far as professional level quality is concerned, but they might work for you depending on what your trying to accomplish. if you truly want a "pro" camera drone platform youre gonna be spending a lot more money than what an inspire1 pro costs. These are more marketed towards the average hobbyist.

No I haven't tried, call me old fashioned but I'm a little paranoid when anything other than me is flying the craft. I have never used any of the auto features such as auto land, auto takeoff, return to home, etc.

My next big project is filming a commercial for a yacht company while their yachts are underway. I don't see how any automated software will tell the drone to track the yacht properly while I operate the camera. Maybe the software has a tracking feature, without having used it I can't say one way or the other if it would help.
Have a look at the autopilot beta testers thread on these forums. There is a video there of someone using
any dji drone is far from Pro level, with all their software nannies and gps blocked zones and gimmicky half *** autonomous flight modes. Their cameras are quite sub par as well as far as professional level quality is concerned, but they might work for you depending on what your trying to accomplish. if you truly want a "pro" camera drone platform youre gonna be spending a lot more money than what an inspire1 pro costs. These are more marketed towards the average hobbyist.
What are you doing on this forum then?

Have a look at the autopilot beta testers thread on these forums. There is a video there of someone using "Follow" from a yacht. He made a fantastic video.

When using any of these automated flight software apps, all you have to do is flick the mode switch to disengage the app. I've been a beta tester for all of them and have found the disengage function to work perfectly never had a single problem nor has anybody in any of the groups that I'm in reported any crashes or other problems when using the mode switch to exit the app.

You really consider using a $ 5.000,- camera on a quadcopter? The main no pro reason is that it has no motor/prop failure redundancy. It will not get commercial permission for populated area in any EU country. So all the "Pro"s can choose between flying in nature or ignore EU legislation. Lets say you give a **** on governments who invade your life mafia like but still a $ 8.000,- system without motor/prop redundancy??

You really consider using a $ 5.000,- camera on a quadcopter? The main no pro reason is that it has no motor/prop failure redundancy. It will not get commercial permission for populated area in any EU country. So all the "Pro"s can choose between flying in nature or ignore EU legislation. Lets say you give a **** on governments who invade your life mafia like but still a $ 8.000,- system without motor/prop redundancy??

I consider any piece of equipment that customers are willing to pay for its services to be a pro piece of equipment. Within 3 jobs this I1 will pay for itself. I'm not in the EU so their rules do not apply. Yes prop and battery redundancy would be great to have, but just because it cannot get a commercial designation in one country or the other does not mean something cannot be a couple of levels above the hobbyist level.

And by the way, the I1 with the Zenmuse X5 is 4500.00 not $8000.00. Pro is all in the way you use it, a $5.00 screw driver can be considered "Professional" if you use it to build a house that someone is willing to buy. DJI is just using the pro moniker to differentiate the X5's target market from the X3.

But to each their own, I've already ordered it, I'm going to use it for paying customers, and I predict they will come back for more. If you want to slap the hobbyist label on that just because the I1 does not have redundancy then feel free to do so.

Reactions: Christian Onyando
I am speakin of the X5R. I do not consider the X5 pro anyway.

And in EU its hard to impossible to legally earn its cost.

The I2 must be at least a Hexa then. Would be interesting, I would buy it a Hexa also can register in EU for flying over villages. However if it has a firmware restriction for 500m radius or a government accessible chip like demanded by EU clerks I would not buy it.

Once again: Why are you on this forum then?
Arguing over a name is silly. I consider $5000 cheap whereas you consider it expensive. Different perspectives.

Once again: Why are you on this forum then?
Arguing over a name is silly. I consider $5000 cheap whereas you consider it expensive. Different perspectives.
We are here sharing experiences, tips and asking questions about our hobbyist inspire 1s and possible differences in the inspire 1 pro model, why are you here?

You should go buy a phantom professional and then you can be professional for only $1200, haha

i agree, no auto pilot here. all single remote shots.

Nice, so I assume without a second camera operator you just turn the whole quad and only control the tilt of the camera, just like with the P3 and P2?

That's my plan for smaller jobs so that I don't have to pay for a camera operator.

What are you on about?
I have CAA permission for commercial operation using the Inspire in the UK. Last time I checked, the United Kingdom was part of Europe (although a lot of times I wish it wasn't - but that's a different discussion).
If you are referring to the slated EASA diatribe then I will not hold my breath for implementation within the proposed guidelines or timeframes. The egos of Europe will all want to score points against each other and they will all have to throw their toys out of their prams a few times before they agree on anything. Then of course there isn't really any such thing as European law in any case (although the idiots in Brussels like to throw their weight around) so any change in law would need to be adopted and taken up by each member state and ratified into its own legal system.
I shall continue to fly my Inspire commercially in populated areas under the permissions granted to me by the Civil Aviation Authority within the Air Navigation Order (which IS law within the United Kingdom).

Nice, so I assume without a second camera operator you just turn the whole quad and only control the tilt of the camera, just like with the P3 and P2?

That's my plan for smaller jobs so that I don't have to pay for a camera operator.

yes, exactly. im solo also 99% of the time. works best for combo moves anyhow.

Very nice, I watched this on an iMac retina with the 4K YouTube resolution. I've read all the complaints about video quality, but it sure looks good. Looks good on my Apple Cinema display as well. I presume this is with the standard Inspire camera.I imagine that the primary purpose of the video would have it viewed on a monitor. Clearly it works well for online video.

I could see you operating the quad from the yacht. It appears that the yacht was between you and the quad on a couple of occasions. Any problems with video drop out? Thanks for sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airlineoffice