Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 v1 vs v2.0 (Is there a real difference?)

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I will be a future inspire owner, since my phantom 3 4k is no longer enough for me since I need the most cinemtics shots possible ( My use for drone is commercial only) and I almost everytime crash trying to get the most cinematic shot possible on my P3 haha, so A Inspire is needed, look foward to solve this problem with dual op mode!!

I will be buying an used inspire 1 since they are going off cheap and I see no real reason to get the inspire 2 since I dont NEED (yet) the best quality possible (5.2k), and the quality of the x3 is enough for now.

My plan is to buy an used inspire 1 with at least 4-5 batteries and later (when they alo become super cheap) buy an X5 camera for really good quality aerial shots.

So my question is: there are plenty inspire 1 V1 that the owner took it to dji and upgraded the gimbal, landing gear and prop lock to fit the X5, how does the v1 behave with the x5 camera on it? is there any changes on speed, battery lifetime with the x5 on it? If I look foward to upgrade for the x5, should I ONLY buy the v2 or is the v1 almost good enough or you cant see the difference? what are your guys thoughts and experience with the V1 ad V2? ALSO, is the v2 faster or does the battery life improves with the x3 cam on it(I know dji say it doesnt, but dji also say the battery lasts 20min wich we all know its a lie)?

I just found a really good deal on a v1 with everything but the motors upgraded to v2.

My big worry is that the new motor is a lot more powerful, I dont know how does that feel in the air, but "specs" wise 350kv to 420kv is 20% more power!

No big noticeable difference between V1 and V2.
It will carry the X5 fine, with the V2 damping plate. You don't need to change the motors.
20 minutes with X3 is possible with 0m/s wind and 20 C temperature, mainly hovering.

do you have an x5 on your v1? hows the flight time with tb47 and tb48? no reduction on manuevering or agility?

I even have a 5200 multistar hanging off it with x5 works great. She's heavy at takeoff

Hey guys!
I will be a future inspire owner, since my phantom 3 4k is no longer enough for me since I need the most cinemtics shots possible ( My use for drone is commercial only) and I almost everytime crash trying to get the most cinematic shot possible on my P3 haha, so A Inspire is needed, look foward to solve this problem with dual op mode!!

I will be buying an used inspire 1 since they are going off cheap and I see no real reason to get the inspire 2 since I dont NEED (yet) the best quality possible (5.2k), and the quality of the x3 is enough for now.

My plan is to buy an used inspire 1 with at least 4-5 batteries and later (when they alo become super cheap) buy an X5 camera for really good quality aerial shots.

So my question is: there are plenty inspire 1 V1 that the owner took it to dji and upgraded the gimbal, landing gear and prop lock to fit the X5, how does the v1 behave with the x5 camera on it? is there any changes on speed, battery lifetime with the x5 on it? If I look foward to upgrade for the x5, should I ONLY buy the v2 or is the v1 almost good enough or you cant see the difference? what are your guys thoughts and experience with the V1 ad V2? ALSO, is the v2 faster or does the battery life improves with the x3 cam on it(I know dji say it doesnt, but dji also say the battery lasts 20min wich we all know its a lie)?

I just found a really good deal on a v1 with everything but the motors upgraded to v2.

My big worry is that the new motor is a lot more powerful, I dont know how does that feel in the air, but "specs" wise 350kv to 420kv is 20% more power!

I, too, shoot in television and commercial production. My partners both owned Inspire 1, v1.0's, so I put off buying one. Before I tell you about that experience, I'll share with you that I hunted around for lightly used I1's. I found a few on eBay in the $2K price range, usually with several batteries, and sometimes the iPad. But then I found out that the I1 v2.0 was marked 35% off, down to $2K from $3K. The improvements that caught my eye were 3 things:

1) More powerful motors (which you mentioned already).
2) The new prop locking mechanism.
3) The X5 and X5R-ready mounting plate.

Now my experience. I was shooting a shot for Longmire with my partner's I1 v1. I was camera op, he was the PIC. The DP wanted the X5, so that's what we mounted. My partner had installed the X5 mounting plate a month earlier, but we hadn't flown much with it (we like to practice to stay sharp). Winds that day were rough...20 mph. We were close to calling it, but we had flown in 22+ before with the X3, so we decided to move forward. Essentially, the X5 weighs twice as much as the X3. This is important to know. The shots were fairly simple. The first shot was a hover shot while cars drove under. Piece of cake. The second shot was a push across a field and over a sheriff's SUV. Because of the 20+ mph cross wind pushing the bird to the left, my PIC couldn't hold the line. After 2 takes I asked him, "What's going on?" He said he had the Inspire full stick right, and it still wasn't holding the line. Turns out the extra weight of the X5 was pushing the v1.0 to its limits. Not only that, but being a larger camera, it acts more like a parachute than the slimmer X3. I have a feeling that the 20% horsepower would've really come in handy for that shot. We got the shot 3rd take, but that should have been a 1-take shot. Fortunately, the DP understood the wind condition and was forgiving.

The third shot was jib shot along a cliff. Wind was *really* strong there. This time the bird had a hard time just holding its position. Again, we got the shot, but the bird was clearly being pushed to its limits.

So when it came time to purchase an Inspire, I decided to forgo my original plan to find a used v1.0 (which was much like your plan), and get the v2.0. I used the $1,000 I saved to get 3 more TB48 batteries and an Air 1 iPad.

After 140 flights, she has been rock solid. I couldn't be happier. Not so much as a scratched prop. That said...

I just ordered the feet extensions so my partner and I can practice with the X5 on my bird. I look forward to seeing how she handles with the X5.

And finally, I have to say that after working with both prop locking systems, the v2.0 is far and away better than the v1.0. Removal and installation are quick, easy, and rock solid. I TRUST the locking mechanism, which is very important to me. It's a very positive-feeling system that has been re-engineered to last longer than the v1.0 prop system.

In conclusion, I am very glad I sprung for the v2.0. I think you will be glad, too.

Beware: There is an inordinate amount of TB47 battery failures arriving DOA to customers. Mine showed up DOA, and my experience is common. Make sure you order a TB48 from another vendor on the same day, as it took DJI a freakin' MONTH to replace my TB47.

I hope this helps.

Oh...here's a screen shot of my top speed:

SpeedRecord.JPG

Attachments

• WorldRecord.JPG
    WorldRecord.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: rogerneeb
The motor on a v2 just spins a little faster. You stick another 6s battery on it and see how much power it's got .

I, too, shoot in television and commercial production. My partners both owned Inspire 1, v1.0's, so I put off buying one. Before I tell you about that experience, I'll share with you that I hunted around for lightly used I1's. I found a few on eBay in the $2K price range, usually with several batteries, and sometimes the iPad. But then I found out that the I1 v2.0 was marked 35% off, down to $2K from $3K. The improvements that caught my eye were 3 things:

Now my experience. I was shooting a shot for Longmire with my partner's I1 v1. I was camera op, he was the PIC. The DP wanted the X5, so that's what we mounted. My partner had installed the X5 mounting plate a month earlier, but we hadn't flown much with it (we like to practice to stay sharp). Winds that day were rough...20 mph. We were close to calling it, but we had flown in 22+ before with the X3, so we decided to move forward. Essentially, the X5 weighs twice as much as the X3. This is important to know. The shots were fairly simple. The first shot was a hover shot while cars drove under. Piece of cake. The second shot was a push across a field and over a sheriff's SUV. Because of the 20+ mph cross wind pushing the bird to the left, my PIC couldn't hold the line. After 2 takes I asked him, "What's going on?" He said he had the Inspire full stick right, and it still wasn't holding the line. Turns out the extra weight of the X5 was pushing the v1.0 to its limits. Not only that, but being a larger camera, it acts more like a parachute than the slimmer X3. I have a feeling that the 20% horsepower would've really come in handy for that shot. We got the shot 3rd take, but that should have been a 1-take shot. Fortunately, the DP understood the wind condition and was forgiving.

The third shot was jib shot along a cliff. Wind was *really* strong there. This time the bird had a hard time just holding its position. Again, we got the shot, but the bird was clearly being pushed to its limits.

So when it came time to purchase an Inspire, I decided to forgo my original plan to find a used v1.0 (which was much like your plan), and get the v2.0. I used the $1,000 I saved to get 3 more TB48 batteries and an Air 1 iPad.

After 140 flights, she has been rock solid. I couldn't be happier. Not so much as a scratched prop. That said...

I just ordered the feet extensions so my partner and I can practice with the X5 on my bird. I look forward to seeing how she handles with the X5.

And finally, I have to say that after working with both prop locking systems, the v2.0 is far and away better than the v1.0. Removal and installation are quick, easy, and rock solid. I TRUST the locking mechanism, which is very important to me. It's a very positive-feeling system that has been re-engineered to last longer than the v1.0 prop system.

In conclusion, I am very glad I sprung for the v2.0. I think you will be glad, too.

Beware: There is an inordinate amount of TB47 battery failures arriving DOA to customers. Mine showed up DOA, and my experience is common. Make sure you order a TB48 from another vendor on the same day, as it took DJI a freakin' MONTH to replace my TB47.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 11046
holy *** 75mph! haha thats awesome!!!
thank you for taking the time and writing me all of this! We do pretty much the same use of a drone and thats why I´m upgrading to an inspire! Now I have made my mind and here is what I´ll do, thats the cheapest way: I´ll buy an lightly used I1 v1 from ebay with a bunch of extras and the locking system from dji (wich costs only 15 bucks), and then later when the x5 camera gets really cheap on ebay, I´ll buy her, the upgraded motors and the gimbal and extending feet so it will be a fully working v2! I think that will be the cheapes and smartest way to buy an I1!

Just expect less flight time on the Inspire than the P3, TB47 14-16m max, TB48 15-17 max on X3

Add the X5 and yours looking at 10-13 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I hope this helps.

View attachment 11046
Hi doesn't the inspire 1 v2 have better light bridge power or is that inspire 2 that has better distance? I have been reading you can replace the inspire 1 motors and esc with inspire 1 v2 higher KV is this true.

Hi doesn't the inspire 1 v2 have better light bridge power or is that inspire 2 that has better distance? I have been reading you can replace the inspire 1 motors and esc with inspire 1 v2 higher KV is this true.

What I have learned (but not proven yet) is that later firmware versions throttled back the video Tx wattage. With FW v1.07, video sucked. With FW v1.08, video feed is perfect. Not so much as a hiccup from 2500' out, and was able to get 4500' perfect feed with cheapo, passive range extenders, with video feed dropping out @ around 6,000' @ 400' AGL. v1.09 and v1.10 video sucked again. I have tried this FW experiment on TWO Inspire 1's. One was a v1.0, the other (mine) v2.0. Needless to say, I have v1.08 installed on my bird, and have no plans of updating it.

The best performing, most reliable bird on the market right now is an Inspire 1, v2.0 with FW v1.08. This is a rock solid platform for all things aerial. I have used it with the X3 and X5 cameras with great success. Not so much as a hiccup.

D

Reactions: BigAl07
What I have learned (but not proven yet) is that later firmware versions throttled back the video Tx wattage. With FW v1.07, video sucked. With FW v1.08, video feed is perfect. Not so much as a hiccup from 2500' out, and was able to get 4500' perfect feed with cheapo, passive range extenders, with video feed dropping out @ around 6,000' @ 400' AGL. v1.09 and v1.10 video sucked again. I have tried this FW experiment on TWO Inspire 1's. One was a v1.0, the other (mine) v2.0. Needless to say, I have v1.08 installed on my bird, and have no plans of updating it.

The best performing, most reliable bird on the market right now is an Inspire 1, v2.0 with FW v1.08. This is a rock solid platform for all things aerial. I have used it with the X3 and X5 cameras with great success. Not so much as a hiccup.

D
Hi thanks D,,
I asked about upgrading the motors myself. I have a friend who bought an extra inspire 1,v1 he said he will sell it for $1200. I am not sure it will have the warrenty anymore. Do you think it is worth buying it is new in box still.?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi