Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 - Why all the sales??

Reaction score
Is it me or do there seem to be alot of Inspire 1s going up for sale. Most guys are posting its too much aircraft, afraid to continue flying because of the insecurities and delayed support from DJI, etc. Any thoughts on this?

My take? I purchased my inspire and 3 days later the electronics failed. I had to send it in and now I wait to see what they are going to do. They have said exchange for a new one. You have 7 days. I figured I'd run it as much as I can for the first 7 days and see what happens. Well, the connection from the battery to mainboard failed.

So, now I wait. I asked them if I could get a refund and purchase another and at first was told no. But I called again and was told yes. So then I asked to have the same price. I paid 2609 with a 10% off coupon I got on this forum. They said I'd have to contact online sales. Problem. no USA contact number. You have to contact china which is 9 hours difference and play email tag. So I did this and was told there was no coupon, best regards...call support. Ok, so I called support back and explained how I purchased the unit. How originally wanted an refund but since I can't get anyone to do a price adjustment or give me another code, I wanted to go the exchange route.

That's my story. I'm waiting for an exchange unit that they won't send out until the receive my DOA unit. I can understand this but was told it would be a week or more before something would be sent. Then shipping time. So, something I've owned 3 days gets turned into weeks. When I received an ipad that was defective, they sent out a label. I purchased a new ipad, which was sent that day and got credited back within a week for the damages DOA unit. That's how it's done. DJI complicates things so much, people are pissed and give up. So, they sell their units and do without or look for something else.

Now, repairs. Repairs take anywhere from 6-8 weeks if you damage your unit or you are over the 7 day initial DOA period. So at 10 days, if electronics fail, you are in repair Que. You wait 5-8 weeks. now I can see if I crashed something having to stand in line to have a repair. But they just don't have the resources to get these repaired in a timely manner. They won't let authorized repair centers. They centralize the process to one location. So, you wait. This just adds to the anxiety of flying something. If you screw up and crash it....or you have an electronics failure beyond your control....you have to wait 6-8 weeks to get your unit back. This is marketed as a pro solution and people are using them to earn a living. Well, you can't without your tools. You send something in for repair, there's no person you can take it to and discuss the problem. So, if it's not done right, you guessed it, you wait again.

So.....some have had a good experience with their inspires. Fly around and enjoy. The real hidden problem is that the repair process or failure of a unit because of electronics is severely lacking.

My hopes it that this will change with a new repair facility. They evidently purchased more property. I have other hobbies and interests, so a break down and repair won't really affect me much. I can go do something else, my livelihood doesn't rely on it. I can wait it out if I need a repair.

The last issue is that there are very few parts you can replace on the inspire. Most of the internals and the arms will have to be done by DJI or you void your warranty. Well, If I manage to make it through my warranty period with no crashes. I'll repair it myself with parts I find on Ebay. People are breaking down inspires and selling them individually... It's either that or the service and repair times will improve.

So, that's what you are looking at if you buy an inspire.....or phantom 3 for that matter. Wait times. Phantom 3 has more parts and is more of a toy. Most people can replace shells and landing gear and cameras.

My take? I purchased my inspire and 3 days later the electronics failed. I had to send it in and now I wait to see what they are going to do. They have said exchange for a new one. You have 7 days. I figured I'd run it as much as I can for the first 7 days and see what happens. Well, the connection from the battery to mainboard failed.

So, now I wait. I asked them if I could get a refund and purchase another and at first was told no. But I called again and was told yes. So then I asked to have the same price. I paid 2609 with a 10% off coupon I got on this forum. They said I'd have to contact online sales. Problem. no USA contact number. You have to contact china which is 9 hours difference and play email tag. So I did this and was told there was no coupon, best regards...call support. Ok, so I called support back and explained how I purchased the unit. How originally wanted an refund but since I can't get anyone to do a price adjustment or give me another code, I wanted to go the exchange route.

That's my story. I'm waiting for an exchange unit that they won't send out until the receive my DOA unit. I can understand this but was told it would be a week or more before something would be sent. Then shipping time. So, something I've owned 3 days gets turned into weeks. When I received an ipad that was defective, they sent out a label. I purchased a new ipad, which was sent that day and got credited back within a week for the damages DOA unit. That's how it's done. DJI complicates things so much, people are pissed and give up. So, they sell their units and do without or look for something else.

Now, repairs. Repairs take anywhere from 6-8 weeks if you damage your unit or you are over the 7 day initial DOA period. So at 10 days, if electronics fail, you are in repair Que. You wait 5-8 weeks. now I can see if I crashed something having to stand in line to have a repair. But they just don't have the resources to get these repaired in a timely manner. They won't let authorized repair centers. They centralize the process to one location. So, you wait. This just adds to the anxiety of flying something. If you screw up and crash it....or you have an electronics failure beyond your control....you have to wait 6-8 weeks to get your unit back. This is marketed as a pro solution and people are using them to earn a living. Well, you can't without your tools. You send something in for repair, there's no person you can take it to and discuss the problem. So, if it's not done right, you guessed it, you wait again.

So.....some have had a good experience with their inspires. Fly around and enjoy. The real hidden problem is that the repair process or failure of a unit because of electronics is severely lacking.

My hopes it that this will change with a new repair facility. They evidently purchased more property. I have other hobbies and interests, so a break down and repair won't really affect me much. I can go do something else, my livelihood doesn't rely on it. I can wait it out if I need a repair.

The last issue is that there are very few parts you can replace on the inspire. Most of the internals and the arms will have to be done by DJI or you void your warranty. Well, If I manage to make it through my warranty period with no crashes. I'll repair it myself with parts I find on Ebay. People are breaking down inspires and selling them individually... It's either that or the service and repair times will improve.

So, that's what you are looking at if you buy an inspire.....or phantom 3 for that matter. Wait times. Phantom 3 has more parts and is more of a toy. Most people can replace shells and landing gear and cameras.
Ya man....
I feel your pain..
I believe dji should have a better return and exchange policy. .
For any reason you want to return or exchange your aircraft they should allow you to do so within 30 days of purchase sounds about right to me..
Once you buy an inspire you're married to it..
Any I believe you're right in you answer to the topic but I think people sell for other reasons too..
Like they don't have the technical know how to use it or they get scared they will lose or crash it..
keep in mind there are more than 80 thousand inspires out there right now so some guys will just bail out...
I'm sure most of the people who are just getting into drones don't know about how dji's customer service is or how their repair facility works..
That being said I think dji is continuing to improve their game on all levels. .
I think crushing their competition is their top prority so when that's taken care of they can work on customer service and support. .
money money money. ...
turbo. ...

Reactions: Outta Control
I'm looking to jump into an inspire coming from the Phantom series. I've had all the different p2's and now own a p3a.
I've been seeing rumors of an inspire 2 in the works. Just rumors of course but it's only going to be a matter of time. I'm wondering if it's more people trying to sell to recoup as much as possible before the price of the I1 takes a beating like people who owned a p2+?
Just an opinion from someone who hasn't owned a I1 but looking to get in the game.

What's the average resale on a used I1 if I can ask the experts that have been around a while?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I'm looking to jump into an inspire coming from the Phantom series. I've had all the different p2's and now own a p3a.
I've been seeing rumors of an inspire 2 in the works. Just rumors of course but it's only going to be a matter of time. I'm wondering if it's more people trying to sell to recoup as much as possible before the price of the I1 takes a beating like people who owned a p2+?
Just an opinion from someone who hasn't owned a I1 but looking to get in the game.

What's the average resale on a used I1 if I can ask the experts that have been around a while?

Hey Amos!!
Welcome to inspirepilots.com. ..
I doubt we will see a i2 anytime soon..
dji ha s just released the m100 and perhaps some people are upgrading ..
I've also had the above mentioned ac and recently sold them at half price of what they were new..
I believe that's because the p2 series has run its course and people want to step up to lightbridge and the pilot app...
Until the release of the p3 the p2 stuff held its value very well and I would expect the same to be true in regards to the i1 versus i2 ..
Until the inspire series runs it's course I believe the resale value will be strong. .
turbo. ..

Reactions: AmosMoses
Only $200/$350 off retail of a new one? Maybe I'll sit back and wait till the I2 rumors become louder. Lol! Or just go with a new one...

You can get a new i1 at any online dealer that's out if your state without paying sales tax and most come with free shipping. .
Coptershop.com is top shelf..
plus newer doesn't always mean better with dji..

Hey Amos!!
Welcome to inspirepilots.com. ..
I doubt we will see a i2 anytime soon..
dji ha s just released the m100 and perhaps some people are upgrading ..
I've also had the above mentioned ac and recently sold them at half price of what they were new..
I believe that's because the p2 series has run its course and people want to step up to lightbridge and the pilot app...
Until the release of the p3 the p2 stuff held its value very well and I would expect the same to be true in regards to the i1 versus i2 ..
Until the inspire series runs it's course I believe the resale value will be strong. .
turbo. ..
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah the light bridge on the p3 is what has me looking at the I1! Definitely an impressive piece of kit!!

The more I'm reading the more I'm thinking of just going with a new unit from a reputable shop. I get the resale is strong but everyone selling used stuff always promises "never crashed" and "no hard landings" but it's always a gamble!

You can get a new i1 at any online dealer that's out if your state without paying sales tax and most come with free shipping. .
Coptershop.com is top shelf..
plus newer doesn't always mean better with dji..

Been looking at their store. Just ordered 2 p3 batteries from them. Fast shipping and good communication so far!

I'm pretty sure copter shop has a 30 day return or exchange policy..but you can't crash it..
Make sure and ask first ..
Their policies may have changed. .
stay away from all e rc. .

I'm pretty sure copter shop has a 30 day return or exchange policy..but you can't crash it..
Make sure and ask first ..
stay away from all e rc. .

It's my understanding that DJI has put a stop to the retailers offering returns after 7 days without authorization for DJI directly!

Sorry to hijack the thread OP!!

It's my understanding that DJI has put a stop to the retailers offering returns after 7 days without authorization for DJI directly!

Sorry to hijack the thread OP!!

Ya man...
thanks..that's a new policy and not a good one..
continue speculating. ...
turb...

Only $200/$350 off retail of a new one? Maybe I'll sit back and wait till the I2 rumors become louder. Lol! Or just go with a new one...

well, that's what people are asking. I see sales closed but normally it's behind a private message in negotiation of price.

Ya man...
thanks..that's a new policy and not a good one..
continue speculating. ...
turb...

Not sure I'm following ya.

"continue speculating"?

I first thought that I had an issue with my p3a that I bought from an authorized dealer (won't mention the name) that had a 30 days "guarantee" policy. They're the ones who informed me about DJI's restrictions on returns update....

Not sure I'm following ya.

I first thought that I had an issue with my p3a that I bought from an authorized dealer (won't mention the name) that had a 30 days "guarantee" policy. They're the ones who informed me about DJI's restrictions on returns update....

Ya man ..
check with coptershop ...
last time i spoke with them it was thirty days..
they said because they are a vendor for amazon they have the same return /exchange policys. ..
E mail them they will respond in a timely manner. ..

Just because a company lists 30 day return policy doesn't mean you can return for any reason. Read the coptershop.com policy and unless its DOA, which is NOT stops working after 3 days... it means Dead On Arrival, as in it never worked. You are on DJI warranty not 30 day return policy territory. And pretty much ALL retailers list "returned items must be in new condition, in their original unaltered box" That means the little security stickers in tact, you cant even open it. Start reading the policies better and stop being so entitled. As a retailer I have no idea how you have handled the product after its opened, why should i be on the hook for it because you tried an update without charging the battery and now bricked the product.

If by chance you broke it, try your Visa or MC replacement service instead of making the retailers pay for your mistakes.

I'd seriously look at amazon... products fullfilled by amazon. It would be worth trying to get 30 days out of them.

the comment above indicates to me that retailers are just as discouraged with dealing with DJI as we are. I'm sure it's a breakdown in support for the dealers. I normally by all my stuff fullfilled by amazon and have returned just about whatever I want. if something arrives and only lasts 3 days, then it's DOA to me. It had a malfunction and when under normal use failed. Most all retailers know this. The problem is that the inspire dealers aren't supported properly by DJI. How do you know something isn't' DOA if you don't turn it on and power it up? You can't know. And when it's put under load of flight, how will you know it will fail, you can't. It would be like buying a car and the dealer saying, you let it sit in your drive way but if it fails, call general motors, we can't help you.

What needs to happen is dealers need to get some balls and tell DJI that we aren't going to carry your products unless you give us some wiggle room of 30 days with our customers. That way, a customer has piece of mind that they can go out and fly their drone under normal circumstances and if it breaks under normal use, they can get a quick exchange. There are so many models of this in consumerism. But if this company wants to say that if 3 days in it's not DOA. Don't buy from them! Don't do it.

Lastly, everytime I see a dealer come on a forum with a bitchy attitude, I make a note. Not to buy from them. "stop being so entitled" If I spend 4,000 for an inspire and a few accessories, you bet I'm entitled to good service. There should be a failsafe built in where you can't upgrade your firmware below a certain percentage. I can't update my iOS on my ipad unless the battery is good or it's plugged in. Deal with it and fix it so this won't be a problem for the consumer. There needs to be some idiot proof built in.

Last edited:
Back to the beginning of the thread, I've noticed a number of "new" I2s up for sale that were sent to owners as warranty replacements, and the owner bought another I2 to fly while waiting; intending to sell the warranty replacement when it arrives... in the fullness of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters