Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 dropped out of the sky

It will fly on one pack, it is clearly better to use both, but it will fly on one, by design.

It just won't let you fly with two mismatched packs.

Reactions: The Editor
If that's the case this is case seems like a clear battery was broken latched properly and the vibrations moved it enough for sudden power loss.

I'm no longer concerned now. Sound like you have to do a good deal of things wrong for this happen.

Back to being exited for my delivery this week !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rewrite my post. Accidentally hit post before editing it. And can't find the edit post button on tapatalk app. Sorry about that. New English version below!

If that's the case, in this case it seems like a clear issue that the battery was not latched properly and the vibrations moved it enough for sudden power loss.

I'm no longer concerned now. Sounds like you have to do a good deal of things wrong for this happen.

Back to being exited for my delivery this week !

As ever, it is always good to wait for the logs to be examined, but nothing in the details so far has me worried about using my I2...

I wouldn't make a habit of flying on one battery though. My guess is that the system is designed to draw amps such that two batteries exceed the required amps, where as one battery will work but likely over the designed amp draw for the system, putting strain on the battery, shortening life etc.

...where as one battery will work but likely over the designed amp draw for the system, putting strain on the battery, shortening life etc.

I believe the system is smart enough to limit performance if the amps required would exceed the capabilities of a single pack.

That said, I would never actually fly with just one pack in the first place...

I believe the system is smart enough to limit performance if the amps required would exceed the capabilities of a single pack.

Based on the way I've seen the I2 fly with one battery in some videos this doesn't appear to be the case. :/

60mph full bore etc. definitely not in any kind of limp mode.

It wouldn't.
The packs are perfectly capable of supplying around 6C or greater (so 90 amps in bursts would not be an issue) and the I2 only draws circa 16-18 amps during hover.
It would just reduce the flight time, nothing more.

Reactions: Ftolino
It wouldn't.
The packs are perfectly capable of supplying around 6C or greater (so 90 amps in bursts would not be an issue) and the I2 only draws circa 16-18 amps during hover.

Feels like we are saying the same thing, I'm not suggesting that one pack would be much of a limitation on use, but if the amps demanded were too high then the system is capable of limiting performance to avoid possible damage to the packs.

That is exactly what it does right now.

If the packs are not close enough in voltage then it won't let you fly.

I purposely tried this out to see what it would do just for future reference. I charged one battery by itself for about 15 minutes and plugged both in. Turned it on and the GO app saw the split with one battery being at 64% and the other at 23%. Wouldn't even let me start the motors. Very happy with that feature!

It wouldn't.
Ah good to know, thanks!

Mine fly's just fine with one battery other then the flashing "you're flying with one battery" sign

It may fly with one battery...but why would you? Years ago with my s800evo I had a cell go bad at about 80' when flying a single 8000mah battery. Came down hard on the $2500 gimbal (at the time) and had to be sent back to China for repair (at the time). I converted to dual batteries after that. Belt and suspenders.

Not placing blame or even saying that's what happened...just adding to the conversation.

Reactions: Ftolino
To be honest when the p3p first came out I was flying in 36 degree weather, it was a bluebird day in South Lake and the unit just shut off about 2 minutes into flight with 97% battery. This was due to the cold weather temps the battery literally froze (this about 2 years was before dji had any clue about battery temps on the increased voltage p3 pack over the p2 pack) I was astounded to see a brand new unit fall out of the sky in cold as I fly in 0-40 degree temps on a regular basis. I sent dji the unit they reviewed the flight log and deemed it was hardware error. DJI replaced everything for free came out with a software update and emailed a warning to all users about heating batteries before flying in cold. The crazy thing was the unit had been sitting in my house all night with the heater on 68 degrees in a GPC case so I know the batteries were not overly cold or frozen.

I see a lot of pilots not properly charge, balance and maintain their batteries seems like this guy either did not fully charge of fully balance his brand new batteries because he was so excited to fly. It blows me away someone can go spend 5k+ on a unit and not take the simple safety precautions when flying to ensure safety of the aircraft and general public..... What happens if this unit was at 200ft and failed and this pilot was at the park, unit falls out of the sky and hits an 8 year old walking home?

Sounds like this guy not only needs the DJI care but a liability insurance policy for any future crashes.

Reactions: droneseyeview
You can only keep maintenance on the tb50 being that it's brand new it shouldn't have bad cells, not saying it didn't but there's no way of balancing them

Poor design if there was just one battery and if it wasn't properly latched. Like your gas meter showing half a tank of gas is it half full or half empty. DJI's are designed to land if you have weak power. Plus it wouldn't have launched in the first place. I will just keep upgrading my I1's and save!!

Reactions: josephmatthew
You can only keep maintenance on the tb50 being that it's brand new it shouldn't have bad cells, not saying it didn't but there's no way of balancing them

Actually all DJI intelligent batteries should be deep cycled and ground tested before inflight use. All new batteries should be discharged to below 5% and fully charged until cycle is complete. (many new DJI user frequently can't wait for a battery charging cycle to finish and remove the pack from the charger before the charging cycle is completed because it was pulled mid charge the battery is not fully cycled and has greater potential to fail.) No LiPO battery can be charged without proper balancing, DJI intelligent batteries are balanced during full charging cycle, cell levels can be checked in the DJI go app before/during flight and the battery/individual cell levels are logged in the app as well so you can see exactly what failed.

Here is a link to a thread on deep cycling TB series batteries and all DJI batteries for that matter, deep cycle charge should be done before the initial charge of a new battery & every 10 flights on each battery. See Page 22 of i1 manual. (Best way to discharge your batteries is to run the unit on the ground without props on until battery level reach below 5% in the DJI app)

TB47/TB48 Deep Cycling

Please share your flight log OP

It could have been the battery was not fully cycled before initial charge and that cause it to fail on flight number 6 as you stated in the video. I personally have never seen a battery on mavic, phantom 2,3,4 or inspire series become unseated mid flight only upon crashing, the unit won't power on if the battery is not seated, post your flight log it will show exactly what happened at time of failure. Only batteries I have seen move in flight/connection loss was on blade 350qx, phantom 1 (pre-intelligent battery) and s900, s1000, and old cinestar 8 models.

Reactions: Lost & Found
Subtext - I wanted to show off for my son. He mentions how he likes the attention he gets when he is out flying.

You might find you'll have a hard time cycling TB50's to under 5%. I tried it with one recently, landing at 13% and keeping the props running on the ground - they shut down at 10%, but still leaving the ac powered on. I didn't take it any lower as I only had one set and needed enough juice left for it to go into travel mode.

Admittedly, I didn't try a restart, or running without props, but I think you'd be having to leave the ac standing powered up & doing nothing for a long time to get them down to 5%.

From the manual, The battery will shutdown power when the cells fall to 2.8v when on the ground. If In the air, apparently it'll keep going but you'll run the risk of totalling the battery (and probably the aircraft).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry