Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Main Controller Fan Noise & Replacement/Repair

Reaction score
The Inspire 2 appears to have 2 Fans mounted in the lower body shell. One in the ft nose section under the main controller, and 2nd midship under the battery distribution tray large leads.

When powering up, one of my I2 makes an oscillating/buzz type Fan Noise in the Nose area under Main Controller.
At first I thought there was a 3rd Fan inside the Main Controller, but now narrowed it to lower Fan, that I’ve seen referred to as ”Lower Radiator Fan”. It moves air within the Main Controller. On a warm temp day, the fan becomes quite in a few minutes but on cold days it lowers pitch but remains. This makes me a little concerned flying a Downtown construction site, especially during cold months.

Has anyone experienced similar noise in nose? Did you remove and maintenance the Fan with a drop of sewing machine light oil or Replace the Fan Unit? I this a common failure or oddity? Being close to ground, I’m assuming a common failure.

The Fan comes part of the Lower Body Shell for $200... both Fans are part of shell.
I did find the “new” Radiator Fan (DJI I2 Fan) on eBay for $12 each... think I’ll order 2-4 for spare parts.
I don’t think it’s a DJI part, but a component that is available separately.

Checking if anyone has serviced the Fan had any luck: normally compressed air to blow out dust & dirt, then 1-2 drops light oil.

The Inspire 2 appears to have 2 Fans mounted in the lower body shell. One in the ft nose section under the main controller, and 2nd midship under the battery distribution tray large leads.

When powering up, one of my I2 makes an oscillating/buzz type Fan Noise in the Nose area under Main Controller.
At first I thought there was a 3rd Fan inside the Main Controller, but now narrowed it to lower Fan, that I’ve seen referred to as ”Lower Radiator Fan”. It moves air within the Main Controller. On a warm temp day, the fan becomes quite in a few minutes but on cold days it lowers pitch but remains. This makes me a little concerned flying a Downtown construction site, especially during cold months.

Has anyone experienced similar noise in nose? Did you remove and maintenance the Fan with a drop of sewing machine light oil or Replace the Fan Unit? I this a common failure or oddity? Being close to ground, I’m assuming a common failure.

The Fan comes part of the Lower Body Shell for $200... both Fans are part of shell.
I did find the “new” Radiator Fan (DJI I2 Fan) on eBay for $12 each... think I’ll order 2-4 for spare parts.
I don’t think it’s a DJI part, but a component that is available separately.

Checking if anyone has serviced the Fan had any luck: normally compressed air to blow out dust & dirt, then 1-2 drops light oil.

Someone on YouTube dismantled an I2 that had a noise problem, turned out to be a piece of stiff vegetation stuck in the rearward fan.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Someone on YouTube dismantled an I2 that had a noise problem, turned out to be a piece of stiff vegetation stuck in the rearward fan.
That's a thought... this is in nose.. but still a downward aimed fan. I'll take a closer look.

Sounds like bearing, that has that roughness that slowly smooths out. Only this one in cold doesn't fully smooth out.

That's a thought... this is in nose.. but still a downward aimed fan. I'll take a closer look.

Sounds like bearing, that has that roughness that slowly smooths out. Only this one in cold doesn't fully smooth out.
Rarely, but indeed some bearings may produce this high pitched sound when cold. Once warmed up and expanded, the resonating vibrations may go away. These ceramic bearings, however, aren't really accessible nor serviceable. Fan replacement is the best course of action ...

Last edited:
Reactions: dougcjohn
I did receive the I2 Radiator fans. Found on eBay, nice quality, direct replacement & connector. Ordered 4, 3 for inventory spares... appeared as China, but came from USA warehouse rather quickly.

Low cost spare $12 item if anyone needed, the normal bottom shell @ $170 is DJI route to repair fan.

That's where being a nerd pays off :) ... If you're lucky to receive what you've ordered ... I just received a bundle of raw cells from AliExpress to replace old ones in my TB48 battery ... The merchant claimed exactly the same 10.83Wh/3.8V cells, while unmarked, most likely 8.3Wh cells for TB47 were shipped ... The dispute nightmare is about to begin, having 191 USD charge for product I didn't order ... Don't we all love dealing with exotic merchants ? ...

That's where being a nerd pays off :) ... If you're lucky to receive what you've ordered ... I just received a bundle of raw cells from AliExpress to replace old ones in my TB48 battery ... The merchant claimed exactly the same 10.83Wh/3.8V cells, while unmarked, most likely 8.3Wh cells for TB47 were shipped ... The dispute nightmare is about to begin, having 191 USD charge for product I didn't order ... Don't we all love dealing with exotic merchants ? ...
I comenend your ordering with AliExpress. I can’t make heads or tails... everything I look at indicates quantity 100 or more. I’ve tried a few times without success.
I had similar, purchased 1 small thing and tooks months to correct a improper charge.

So you’re swapping cells, kudos for that too! Hope ya get the correct Wh on all packs!

But from what I’ve heard... the exotic side will manage it for us.

I comenend your ordering with AliExpress. I can’t make heads or tails... everything I look at indicates quantity 100 or more. I’ve tried a few times without success.
I had similar, purchased 1 small thing and tooks months to correct a improper charge.

So you’re swapping cells, kudos for that too! Hope ya get the correct Wh on all packs!

But from what I’ve heard... the exotic side will manage it for us.
Well, this is rather an adventure then really viable project. I'm trying to explore possible options to keep Inspire 1 alive and kicking in nearest future. So far I'm mostly smashing my head against a Chinese wall of sparse information, outrageous shipping price/conditions and chaotic communication with merchants. At least two sources are claiming availability of required cell transplants:

1. ZDF 3.8V max 4.35V 2850mAh Replacement Lipo Battery repair for Dji Inspire 1 TB48 battery cell Intelligent Battery|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress
2. 10PCS 2850mah battery

First merchant charged 107USD for shipment by UPS, the order arrived in 3 weeks but all cells are of wrong size. I'm hesitant to try another, apparently cheaper source ...

Installed new Radiator Fan under nose of I2.
Looking at the short lead and small connector, I estimated this task as a quick 20-30 minutes... lower gimbal mount arms, remove Fan cover, pull nose cone... disconnect lead and install new.

Not so... that small lead required basically the same level tear down as to replace the Battery Cassette... disassemble to allow separating the 2 primary halfs (upper & lower), lift ft IMU Controller module and thread fan's connector through a small passage... now fully reassemble.

My 20 minutes task became a 2 hour project, and dozens of multi-type screws. Not overly challenging, just more tedious than planned.

Be aware if you plan to replace the fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido