Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Shot down tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well guys I was shot down tonight. Had been flying about 10-15 minutes was over a church that's across from me (about 500 ft from where I was standing) and I was hovering at 352 feet when I here a small caliber gun shot and then my bird spinning out of control. He clipped the rear motor on the left side of the bird and it spun to the ground. Destroyed my X4S camera, broke left side arm loose from AC. Damage wasn't real bad other than a very hard landing with Landing gear up.

Filed police report but don't expect much out of it. Just wish the Feds would come and handle the case and get this guy. He denied it to me but then said he hates those "****" things.

I'm very sad and depressed, but very mad as well.
18e1b5ef0964ab264e4aacd1ab9e44a3.jpg
2d8c8493331782e664d415510724fd44.jpg
e701c6fa6500b440a33a514ef672ee2c.jpg

Sorry for your loss man!
The first 3 words that came out of my mouth were not appropriate to post, even as acronym, while celebrating Easter (not that I care but some do).

What a world. I would become paranoid knowing that everybody could be carrying a gun. Over here we get arrested when we are in possession of a plastic toy gun.

I'd be on a warpath, and probably want to pound that dude's head into sand. But, please consider hiring an attorney to present him w/ legal "stuff" with the use of the term "Felony" used multiple times.

Reference:
FAA Confirms Shooting A Drone Is A Federal Crime. So When Will U.S. Prosecute?

Article excerpt: "According to Loretta Alkalay, an aviation attorney who teaches Drone Law at Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology, the statute also prohibits interfering with anyone "engaged in the authorized operation of such aircraft" and carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison. Since drones are considered aircraft, threatening a drone or a drone operator, according to Ms. Alkalay, would also be a federal crime subject to five years in prison under this same statute."

Bad luck.

Might look into small claims court and see if you can get your $4,500 back, along with the above legal link by Dragopan on the FAA shooting down a Drone is a Federal Crime. I don't know if a lawyer would handle it given the cost, but maybe.

A lot of hunting magazines had those ads for shotgun shells that were called "Drone Killers." Given the mentality of some people in their reading base, they probably think it is legal to shoot them down on the grounds of trespassing, privacy, etc. and maybe for sport as well. Worse is very little seems to be done by judges as they likely would do the same thing, FAA be damned.

Good luck!

Bad luck.

Might look into small claims court and see if you can get your $4,500 back, along with the above legal link by Dragopan on the FAA shooting down a Drone is a Federal Crime. I don't know if a lawyer would handle it given the cost, but maybe.

A lot of hunting magazines had those ads for shotgun shells that were called "Drone Killers." Given the mentality of some people in their reading base, they probably think it is legal to shoot them down on the grounds of trespassing, privacy, etc. and maybe for sport as well. Worse is very little seems to be done by judges as they likely would do the same thing, FAA be damned.

Good luck!

Wasn't even over his property, was flying over the church property and was just taking pictures of the sunset.

Just sent a text to my attorney to call me when he gets a chance.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Man brother I just bought mine and know I am considering not to fly. I live in San Bernardo California pretty crazy out here. I hope some one pays for this !!!!

Well guys I was shot down tonight. Had been flying about 10-15 minutes was over a church that's across from me (about 500 ft from where I was standing) and I was hovering at 352 feet when I here a small caliber gun shot and then my bird spinning out of control. He clipped the rear motor on the left side of the bird and it spun to the ground. Destroyed my X4S camera, broke left side arm loose from AC. Damage wasn't real bad other than a very hard landing with Landing gear up.

Filed police report but don't expect much out of it. Just wish the Feds would come and handle the case and get this guy. He denied it to me but then said he hates those "****" things.

I'm very sad and depressed, but very mad as well.

Yikes, i hope you find the person who did this, or did you already identify who did it? what city are you in?

Brad, you should call your area FAA FSDO and report it to them. (assuming you're in the U.S.)

I went to that website today and did an email to see who I needed to contact. I'll try to call them tomorrow if I don't have a response. The closest one for me is in Nashville, TN. I'm in East TN. Just didn't know who to talk to if I called them.

Well I have a good idea. But not 100% sure. Just 99%. But the cops did nothing with him.

Private drone shot out of sky in Morgan County

Nice video on the TV news. Wonder if the guy saw it? Maybe just getting the news out may thwart some of this stuff.

Bad part is you cannot be 100% sure he did it, and that's going to be his way out too. Probably why the cops can't, or won't, do anything either.

From the drone's SD card, can you pinpoint from where the shot came from or the suspect person looking up at it? Might help.

Nice video on the TV news. Wonder if the guy saw it? Maybe just getting the news out may thwart some of this stuff.

Bad part is you cannot be 100% sure he did it, and that's going to be his way out too. Probably why the cops can't, or won't, do anything either.

From the drone's SD card, can you pinpoint from where the shot came from or the suspect person looking up at it? Might help.

I had JUST stopped recording because I only had 1:30 left on my card and I wanted to take some pictures. Although you can do both at the same time, you have to stop recording to get the RAW pictures. But on the app you can tell what direction I was pointing, you can tell from the angle the shot went into the rear motor that it came from his direction, plus he said the been shooting his .22 earlier in the day...it was a small caliber shot that went off right before it went down. Then he proceeds to tell me he doesn't like the "****" thing! Pretty sure who it was. Not to mention there was no one else outside to do this from the angle that it was shot from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop