Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Shot down tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't also illegal to discharge a fire arm out in public? i hope the felon gets caught.

Probably is, but that judge in the "Drone Slayer" case dismissed the charges against the guy who shot down the drone over his property. The two incidents aren't far from each other either (~180 miles.). The "Drone Slayer" guy admitted to the shoot down too where this one might not, and he even sold T-shirts saying "Drone Slayer" on them. Pretty bold, and likely would do it again.

Until some of these shooters pay for damages somehow, I don't think this is going to stop. Judges seem too sympathetic to privacy, trespassing, or harassment with regards to drone overflights.

I've wondered if the drone was some large commercial setup that cost $200,000 if the shooter would have more serious issues if sued than our 'toy' drones. That or having a permit by the local film commissioner for the flight. Don't know as the law is too gray when it hits the courtroom.

Reactions: Brad Jones
I agree with the post above, couldn't you check your flight log the second before the inspire got shot, look at the trajectory though the inspire and do some rough math? realistically its just make a really big triangle. Should give you a rough area of where the bullet came from...

You have altitude, the inspire's heading, and the angle where the bullet hit the drone. I would be glad to help if needed :) I want this idiot to buy you a new inspire. With an X5S this time! XD

Probably is, but that judge in the "Drone Slayer" case dismissed the charges against the guy who shot down the drone over his property. The two incidents aren't far from each other either (~180 miles.). The "Drone Slayer" guy admitted to the shoot down too where this one might not, and he even sold T-shirts saying "Drone Slayer" on them. Pretty bold, and likely would do it again.

Until some of these shooters pay for damages somehow, I don't think this is going to stop. Judges seem too sympathetic to privacy, trespassing, or harassment with regards to drone overflights.

I've wondered if the drone was some large commercial setup that cost $200,000 if the shooter would have more serious issues if sued than our 'toy' drones. That or having a permit by the local film commissioner for the flight. Don't know as the law is too gray when it hits the courtroom.

Can't stand to hear idiots call them "toys". I've heard it so much today. $3600 for a toy??? Come on now!

Sorry that this happened to you. I am always worried when doing jobs out here since I know there are many gun happy folks around this area. I actually seen this shared on a families post that lives in the same town where you were shot down at.

Did you have it insured? I have mine with the x5s insured through State Farm for 63 bucks a year.

Reactions: aquamor and Fickert
Sorry that this happened to you. I am always worried when doing jobs out here since I know there are many gun happy folks around this area. I actually seen this shared on a families post that lives in the same town where you were shot down at.

Did you have it insured? I have mine with the x5s insured through State Farm for 63 bucks a year.
What sort of coverage do you get for $63?!?

Here in Australia its roughly $3000-$4000 for hull and accessory coverage (for an I2) + public liability.

Really? Who is your family that shared it? And can you send me the info on the State Farm Insurance for $63??? I've got the DJI Refresh package for $350.

I am currently working with my farmers agent to get my Inspire covered. Once I have this I will have much better piece of mind.

I don't understand??
Doesn't matter where in the USA you live.
This is "criminal damage to property"
And at the cost of replacement, it is certainly a "Felony"

Call the flippin cops man, it is simply against the law ..............it's NOT ok - Period !!

I don't understand??
Doesn't matter where in the USA you live.
This is "criminal damage to property"
And at the cost of replacement, it is certainly a "Felony"

Call the flippin cops man, it is simply against the law ..............it's NOT ok - Period !!

As posted in the original post he filed a police report.

Really? Who is your family that shared it? And can you send me the info on the State Farm Insurance for $63??? I've got the DJI Refresh package for $350.

Wendy Vinson - She is related to my wife.

It is a personal articles policy. Keep in mind that it is not for commercial purposes.

I am currently working with my farmers agent to get my Inspire covered. Once I have this I will have much better piece of mind.

I originally paid $83 for 5k worth of coverage, but I received a check in the mail for $20 a couple of week later so it was $63.

As posted in the original post he filed a police report.

Filing a Police report, and actively walking into the Police station steaming mad demanding an investigation (are 2 different things imo !!!).

I guaranfukingteeU that if someone shot down my drone down, the locol cops would find out who the hell did it, and put them through the ringer !!!

You don't just go around willingly and damage someone else's property, its NOT OK anywhere !!!
(and then to use a firearm to shoot at it, C'mon man, any police chief would be livid !!!)

Say the paparazzi was filming you on the street, and you grab his $8k camera and slam it down on the street, or bash it with a night stick. You can't do that, it is illegal - period

Say you parked your car on the street, but you went over the curb and 2 of your tires are sitting on his lawn, sinking in the mud, ruining this guys new grass seedlings. Just because he's pissed, does mean it's ok for him to bash your car with a ball bat, or worse yet, pull out a .22 and start shooting at it.

I'm sure if the OP actually tried to contact someone in charge, they would go pick this guy up.
Shooting at OPs drone, balloon, Kite, etc is not ok, especially over a Church!, (that alone probably brings its own separate charge).

Lastly, there is no flippin way I would ever let this guy get away with shooting down my Inspire, NEVER !!

Filing a Police report, and actively walking into the Police station steaming mad demanding an investigation (are 2 different things imo !!!).

I guaranfukingteeU that if someone shot down my drone down, the locol cops would find out who the hell did it, and put them through the ringer !!!

You don't just go around willingly and damage someone else's property, its NOT OK anywhere !!!
(and then to use a firearm to shoot at it, C'mon man, any police chief would be livid !!!)

Say the paparazzi was filming you on the street, and you grab his $8k camera and slam it down on the street, or bash it with a night stick. You can't do that, it is illegal - period

Say you parked your car on the street, but you went over the curb and 2 of your tires are sitting on his lawn, sinking in the mud, ruining this guys new grass seedlings. Just because he's pissed, does mean it's ok for him to bash your car with a ball bat, or worse yet, pull out a .22 and start shooting at it.

I'm sure if the OP actually tried to contact someone in charge, they would go pick this guy up.
Shooting at OPs drone, balloon, Kite, etc is not ok, especially over a Church!, (that alone probably brings its own separate charge).

Lastly, there is no flippin way I would ever let this guy get away with shooting down my Inspire, NEVER !!

Point taken, although we do not know how the report was filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan