Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire FW update needed when using Litchi??

Reaction score
I just bought a used inspire pro that hasn't been used in close to six months, according to the previous owner. The previous owner stated he was using the Litchi app (mostly for additional camera controls, as he is an outstanding pro photographer) and hadn't updated the firmware in quite a long time.

So my question is, is it ok for me to install the Litchi app into my iPad and use it seamlessly without having to update the bird or the controller?

I'm completely new to this setup, so any other newbie suggestions or precautions would be hugely appreciated!

Yes and no. The I2 worked fine with Litchi when the I2 F/W was an earlier version(original version). However, when .240 F/W was installed there was an incompatibility with Litchi introduced. When DJI released the latest I2 F/W (.330) all is good again. So in summary, the DJI I2 and Litchi are fully compatible now with the current I2 F/W.

Reactions: Later6868
Thanks, VP.

So, I guess the only true way to know if it's possible is to try it out. I'll work on that today.

Thanks, VP.

So, I guess the only true way to know if it's possible is to try it out. I'll work on that today.

normally you would not "have" to update however bugfixes and improvment come with updates.
my eg would be drone deploy app... with my current (not touching updates) 1.4 FW on the bird i might experience false battery level during flight at times... (a bug they fixed with the next fw that came after 1.4). but since i get a warning ad beeping on the battery charge level i don't care about false % show within the app...
try it and you'll find out what works and what does not... you can't brake it.
cheers
Martin

I appreciate the additional advice, Phatzo.

That makes complete sense. I'm new to the 'big leagues' and probably more cautious than I should be. It's only trial and error. It's insured, so if it falls out of the sky, it's paid for.

You know, I'm not completely sure. As mentioned above, I'm new to this.

My main concern, I suppose, is what I read from time to time about the FW updates that DJI puts out. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes not. For instance, I read that they included a perimeter 'fence' around the pilot's standing location. Honestly, not even sure if that's something I need to worry about. I know whatever the current FW is, it worked for the last owner and I didn't want to risk it. As they normally say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Although, I understand this doesn't necessarily apply to this type of technology.

There is so much to info to consume and grasp that my head is spinning. Just doing my best to cram info like I'm studying for a college exam. I need to slow down, take a deep breath and learn step-by-step.

I'm somewhat of a research hound, so learning as much as possible to avoid as many mistakes as possible is important to me. Then again, the only real way to learn is to dive in...

This thread is a bit confusing as the OP references the Inspire 1, but then is given advice based on the Inspire 2. I'm going to assume you are talking about an Inspire 1 Pro. I have an Inspire 1, v2.0, which I'm told is very close to the Inspire Pro. That said....

As of this writing, I have experimented with FW v1.07, v1.08, v1.09, and v1.10. v1.08 is, by far, the best. v1.08 is the only version with flawless video feed. So that's the version I have on my daily flyer.

Regards,

D

As of this writing, I have experimented with FW v1.07, v1.08, v1.09, and v1.10. v1.08 is, by far, the best. v1.08 is the only version with flawless video feed. So that's the version I have on my daily flyer.
D

Hey Donnie, just flew the bird ( I1 v2 Pro ) today for the first time using the Litchi app. I didn't know what FW version it had and I didn't have the go app downloaded, so I couldn't locate the version number. I then downloaded the app and yep...I have the v1.10. The video is horrible! So, I go to DJI's website to download the zipped v1.08 and yeppers...no more download options for that version. The oldest version available is v1.9.1.30.

So now my question is, how do I locate a download for the v1.08 version. It would be nice if this site had a section of version downloads available just for this particular situation. I don't know enough to know if I can use someone else's zip, but it seems to me that that wouldn't be a problem?

Last edited:
Hey Donnie, just flew the bird ( I1 v2 Pro ) today for the first time using the Litchi app. I didn't know what FW version it had and I didn't have the go app downloaded, so I couldn't locate the version number. I then downloaded the app and yep...I have the v1.10. The video is horrible! So, I go to DJI's website to download the zipped v1.08 and yeppers...no more download options for that version. The oldest version available is v1.9.1.30.

So now my question is, how do I locate a download for the v1.08 version. It would be nice if this site had a section of version downloads available just for this particular situation. I don't know enough to know if I can use someone else's zip, but it seems to me that that wouldn't be a problem?

I found this guy:

http://www.panorobot.com/dji/inspire_firmwares.htm

Remember to downgrade the firmware in your controller to v1.6. This can be done via the DJI Go app:

1) Connect iPad to remote.
2) Open the DJI Go app, but DO NOT push the "Camera" button.
3) Press and HOLD the box in the upper-right corner for 5 seconds. When you let go, it should give you the option to "downgrade" your controller FW to v1.6.

From there, it's pretty self explanatory. You *may* have to re-couple your remote to your bird when you're done, which is easy to do. I'll assume you can find that on your own.

Do me a HUGE favor, and report your findings when you're done. If your experience is anything like mine, you should see a HUGE improvement in video quality. I want to know that others are experiencing what I have. If it doesn't work out, going back to the new firmwares is easily done via the Go app.

Regards,

Donnie Frank

@Donnie Frank Update:

Thank you for sending over that link. Not sure how you found it.

I attempted to downgrade the FW yesterday to no avail. I went through the process 5 times before finally giving up. I went ahead and contacted DJI Support and they informed me that downgrading that low was not possible. Downgrading one FW level was acceptable, but downgrading to 1.08 was not.

How were you able to complete the downgrade on your setup?

Maybe I'll try a signal booster....

@Donnie Frank Update:

Thank you for sending over that link. Not sure how you found it.

I attempted to downgrade the FW yesterday to no avail. I went through the process 5 times before finally giving up. I went ahead and contacted DJI Support and they informed me that downgrading that low was not possible. Downgrading one FW level was acceptable, but downgrading to 1.08 was not.

How were you able to complete the downgrade on your setup?

Maybe I'll try a signal booster....

You can only downgrade the bird one FW at a time. This is mentioned in the release notes. So you have to load FW v1.09. Make sure the downgrade is successful via the log file that is created, and then downgrade to 1.08. I did this just 2 weeks ago with great success.

Hint: The downgrade should take 20-30 minutes. If it takes longer than 30 minutes, shut the bird off and then check the log file. I have found more than once that the downgrade was successful, but was given zero feedback from the bird. If it failed, just try again. The log file is your best friend. More than once it took more than one attempt to downgrade the FW.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool