Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire gimbal horizont issues

Reaction score
Hi all :)

My inspire 1 is week old.

My problem is: gimbal is not in HORIZON level, after ALL Calibration done...:

I upgrade last firmware. After upgrade i calibrate IMU and gimbal and compass.

My step:
- i put my inspire 1 to perfectly leveled surface. (pool, billiard)
- i calibrate surface with digital level meter.(picture: level.jpg) .
- surface is perfectly ok..
- okay, now calibrating IMU, IMU is done,
- after IMU next step calibrate gimbal, gimbal is OK.
- Last step i calibrate compass).
— ALL DONE.

- i check horizon camera level and level is bad. left side about 1mm higher(picture: bad.jpg).

- i try manual adjust gimbal: 0.6° set and camera is perfectly now horizon level(picture: roll.jpg)… but this is bad, i calibrated inspire on perfectly surface and must use manual adjust???

- i try roll gimbal YAW 180°camera rotated backward and horizon is ok(picture: good-yaw-rotated-backward.jpg) . but camera facing forward horizon is bad… (bad.jpg)

this is software(firmware) or Hardware problem with inspire? any1 have same issues????

thnx

ps: sorry for my bad english :)

bad.jpggood-yaw-rotated-backward.jpglevel.JPGroll.JPG

Reactions: Daniel Abdallah
We are all suffering from this issue. I always do a gimbal calibration and then manually adjust it....before each take off. Sometimes, I need to further adjust it once it's in the air. Don't sweat it, don't loose any sleep over it. Maybe one day DJI will fix that instead of adding useless editing software to the DJI App. Who really uses that anyway???

Gimbal adjustment in the App while in the air doesn't work, for me at least. The gimbal keeps compensating while adjusting. Sometimes it sticks in the sweet spot and stays horizontal, only to show a new and worse tilt when I yaw the I1 90 degrees or more. The tilt is always on the right side (higher).
An it's intermitted. Some flights there's no problem at all.

Gimbal calibration before take off, even if on a not 100% level surface, seems to be the best option. The gimbal calibrates to the IMU, the gimbal itself doesn't have an IMU, as far as I know, so there's no need to have it perfectly level in my opinion, and after personal experience. As long as the IMU has initially been calibrated on a level surface.

It might have something to do with the yaw attitude compensation, DJI programmed in (maybe they had to, because it could be a hardware issue they couldn't solve at hardware level).
Moving the yaw stick always invokes a compensating movement in the horizontal plane of the gimbal.
After yawing it might not entirely get back to its original state, when it is at the same time adjusting according to the info it gets from the IMU. On the ground it compensates as well, as you always see during the startup CNC. But because it's stationary (and doesn't get changed data form the IMU) it is able to snap back to the initial position.

I must say, I was furious in the beginning about it. But over the time I actually didn't think about it anymore and I accepted the fact that sometimes the horizon is not 100% level. For very critical shots I usually make an extra run, or 2 even.

Hi all :)

My inspire 1 is week old.

My problem is: gimbal is not in HORIZON level, after ALL Calibration done...:

I upgrade last firmware. After upgrade i calibrate IMU and gimbal and compass.

My step:
- i put my inspire 1 to perfectly leveled surface. (pool, billiard)
- i calibrate surface with digital level meter.(picture: level.jpg) .
- surface is perfectly ok..
- okay, now calibrating IMU, IMU is done,
- after IMU next step calibrate gimbal, gimbal is OK.
- Last step i calibrate compass).
— ALL DONE.

- i check horizon camera level and level is bad. left side about 1mm higher(picture: bad.jpg).

- i try manual adjust gimbal: 0.6° set and camera is perfectly now horizon level(picture: roll.jpg)… but this is bad, i calibrated inspire on perfectly surface and must use manual adjust???

- i try roll gimbal YAW 180°camera rotated backward and horizon is ok(picture: good-yaw-rotated-backward.jpg) . but camera facing forward horizon is bad… (bad.jpg)

this is software(firmware) or Hardware problem with inspire? any1 have same issues????

thnx

ps: sorry for my bad english :)

View attachment 3292View attachment 3293View attachment 3294View attachment 3295

Just a hunch I got just now.....
While you do this test, also take a look at your sensor values. They might change a bit because of a little magnetic interference in the room where you are. The gimbal responds to the IMU sensor and compensates when the value changes. It's meant to keep it steady in the air with all sudden changes in angles of attack of the airframe.

One tip for dual controller usage: (with a cameraman you usually would have a pre discussed scenario you follow, so you can use the below procedure).

Before you take the run for the shoot, be sure your camera operator first adjusts the horizon to perfectly level. I have that programmed on the left stick. It takes never more than a second or two to acknowledge, but then you're good to go. It normally keeps it horizontal during the whole take. Work in separate takes and before every take, do the procedure again.
Horizon? Level! Hit record and go.

However, for single flying, you don't have the gimbal adjustment on the stick and have to go into the app, which doesn't work like the stick at all. Also you tend to fly things in one efficient or logic run, without separating into single takes/runs.
Doing some extra takes of the same, usually leads to 100% success.

You can either live with it, or let it bug you. And version D also does it. I've not updated either to the latest firmware as it does nothing to solve this issue, and it is an issued. Dji know about it but for some reason are not sorting it out. Why?

You can either live with it, or let it bug you. And version D also does it. I've not updated either to the latest firmware as it does nothing to solve this issue, and it is an issued. Dji know about it but for some reason are not sorting it out. Why?
I'm guessing that flyaways,batteries going from 70% to 5% and everything else that could possibly crash the i1 is higher on the priority fix list than a tilted horizon that not everyone is experiencing.

I have 2 Inspire's both have tilted horizons .... or what i call a lazy gimbal... it really is not acceptable that DJI have not fixed this....

After firmware update to 1.3.0 I took it out for a test flight. Right after liftoff and a brief hover I rolled right and rolled left and I could see the horizon level out during the beginning of the roll left. Flew three batteries and was mostly pleased with horizon level say, 90% of the time. This is an improvement for me.

After the firmware update I performed a leveled IMU cal along with a gimbal cal, so the good performance could just be random luck and mean nothing. Still I have linked a brief clip below of the gimbal leveling during the left/right roll. I hope this good performance wasn't a fluke.

Wind was from the east at about 10-15 mph that day. The craft is pointing SW.

I had a version A + D, and also had this issue on both of them. Unacceptable !!!

For what it's worth... we have the Inspire 1 with X3 camera and the Ronin M (for our Sony A7s) and both have the same yaw drift problem. After I use either of them for a while, the horizon gets off. It's quickly fixed on the Ronin M using the app. Honestly, I'm a solo flyer (no cam op) so when shooting with the I1, I just leave it and make sure I shooting just a little wider and my editor fixes the horizon in post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry