Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

inspire1 dynamic home point

I have done the exact same job. I filmed a 20km stretch of new motorway in New Zealand. You sound like you have your head around it. Don't worry about your home point. Monitor your battery life closely. At around 30% flick to manual mode (non GPS) and land. I filmed from the front passenger seat of a car with VLOS and my camera operator was in the back seat. There were no signal loss issues at all from being inside the car. Turn off Smart RTH and set Failsafe Hover. Even if the craft try's to return to home (which will be a few km's behind you) just flick to manual mode and take control and land safely.

Thanks for the instructions Craig! I finished 2 stretches this morning with great success, one for 3kms and another for 4kms, and all went well, good weather and very little wind. Like you, I stayed in front passenger seat, had VLOS at all times, flew at about 50 to 60 meters high (well above crossing power lines) and had someone scouting at back seat of car, driver going an average of 30-40 km/hour and never a glitch of signal, turned Smart RTH and set Failsafe to Hover too. Was able to land at about 47% batt level. Tomorrow morning will complete the other two stretches.
Did you fly 20 kms in a single stretch? I don't think my battery would last for such a distance. How did you manage that?

Rgds,
J.A.Sarmento

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure that the RC has a built in GPS. I have an iPad 2 mini WiFi only and I can see my position on the map. I just checked the manual and it says it too.

Thanks for the instructions Craig! I finished 2 stretches this morning with great success, one for 3kms and another for 4kms, and all went well, good weather and very little wind. Like you, I stayed in front passenger seat, had VLOS at all times, flew at about 50 to 60 meters high (well above crossing power lines) and had someone scouting at back seat of car, driver going an average of 30-40 km/hour and never a glitch of signal, turned Smart RTH and set Failsafe to Hover too. Was able to land at about 47% batt level. Tomorrow morning will complete the other two stretches.
Did you fly 20 kms in a single stretch? I don't think my battery would last for such a distance. How did you manage that?

Rgds,
J.A.Sarmento

Well done ! Yeah we flew it all in one go, but we had a few battery stops along the way. We were traveling at about 50km/hr and flying over and under bridges crossing the motorway, so we chewed through the batteries. I learned the hard way about the RTH on the first battery. We had traveled a ways down the road and I had not turned RTH off, so the battery runs out and the drone stops, turns 180deg and takes off to where we started from !
Instinctively I flicked it out of GPS, into Manual mode and regained control. A good lesson learned about pre flight prep, right there.
Despite that high heart rate moment, it was one of the more fun jobs I have done. Good luck with the rest of the shoot.

It is 'NOT' a dynamic home point. The home point does NOT automatically reassign you have to tell it the new position TX is at the new home point. @Scotflieger are you saying your home point automatically updates as you move position on the ground, so the aircraft will ALWAYS come back to the current TX position when TX signal is lost OR you hit RTH when you have 'Dynamic Home Point Active' ?

Correct, but I've been told the GPS on Ipads are better than the one built on RCs

That's probably true. Just saying that the GPS in the RC is better than no GPS at all, as in wifi-ipad. As long as you get a fix with the RC, it should be ok enough.

It is 'NOT' a dynamic home point. The home point does NOT automatically reassign you have to tell it the new position TX is at the new home point. @Scotflieger are you saying your home point automatically updates as you move position on the ground, so the aircraft will ALWAYS come back to the current TX position when TX signal is lost OR you hit RTH when you have 'Dynamic Home Point Active' ?
No I did not say that it automatically updates to the changing RC position. The operator has to manually set the current RC as the home point using the HP icons in the app. Once set it would be used for manually selected RTH or should the aircraft lose signal from the RC and you have the RTH option selected. It is just that DJI refer to it as dynamic home point.

Fine as I would have gone out and bought one of your gizmos if it had. Its a VERY misleading description.
The reliability and accuracy of the RC GPS is very poor. The antenna is located under the forward facing gray panel and I found that I needed to raise the front of the RC to get a useable GPS position. It also updates at a slow rate. Therefore, anyone planning to set the home point to the RC position for the purposes of returning the aircraft safely to that point, should consider a iPhone or iPad with a SIM and GPS or to buy a pocket GPS receiver like the Dual X-GPS 150 or 160. It is the user's choice.

I have done the exact same job. I filmed a 20km stretch of new motorway in New Zealand. You sound like you have your head around it. Don't worry about your home point. Monitor your battery life closely. At around 30% flick to manual mode (non GPS) and land. I filmed from the front passenger seat of a car with VLOS and my camera operator was in the back seat. There were no signal loss issues at all from being inside the car. Turn off Smart RTH and set Failsafe Hover. Even if the craft try's to return to home (which will be a few km's behind you) just flick to manual mode and take control and land safely.
Thanks for the info. Completed flight with no problems. Quite satisfied with the aircraft.

Reactions: Scotflieger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide