Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Intelligent Navigation Modes

What do you mean by BT range and BT GPS? I do not believe you will see DJI delivering Follow Me for the Inspire 1; it is too dangerous.
Blue Tooth (BT) range, which is typically 50 feet in open areas. The Follow Me would use the location of the external GPS, rather than the RC, as long as it is BT connected to the tablet used on the RC.

Reactions: Scotflieger
I tested POI and waypoints today.

On my first battery, I messed around with POI. It mostly worked.

On my second battery, I couldn't get the Intelligent Flight Modes menu to come up with I switched from P to F. Even after I landed, power-cycled the drone, and power-cycled the remote.

On my third battery, it worked fine again, and I messed around with waypoints. 11.2 miles per hour is just not fast enough.
I have read elsewhere that, whatever the Waypoint speed setting is, it can be modified during flight from that value manually, such that 11.2 mph is not the true maximum, just the automated default value.

Blue Tooth (BT) range, which is typically 50 feet in open areas. The Follow Me would use the location of the external GPS, rather than the RC, as long as it is BT connected to the tablet used on the RC.
Thank you for that. I had never seen the abbreviation BT used for Bluetooth before. I thought you were referring to British Telecom as was.

basically you mean which ever signal is stronger, RC or tablet gps is the one it will use? I was skeptical that it was smart enough to use the better tablet gps signal vs its own built in one.
It is very easy for the controller to choose the best GPS signal because the GPS will be outputing along with the co-ordinates a HDOP value and a VDOP value, the controller will choose the device with the lowest values.
HDOP = Horizontal Dilution Of Precision.
VDOP = Vertical Dilution Of Precision.

Reactions: Scotflieger
Anybody has any clue about why the follow me mode is not working on Inspire 1? The Autoflight app has this function as well, and works pretty cool.

Anybody has any clue about why the follow me mode is not working on Inspire 1? The Autoflight app has this function as well, and works pretty cool.
It has been reported that DJI think that the I1 is too large and too high a risk for Follow Me at this time (and hopefully never - it is simply too dangerous). The public and media will jump on the first incident where some idiot files their following aircraft into a road bridge or building. Autopilot has written its own control laws for some of their features so they work better.

Thank you for that. I had never seen the abbreviation BT used for Bluetooth before. I thought you were referring to British Telecom as was.
Sorry I didn't define the acronym initially to avoid confusion. I was not familiar with BT as an acronym for British Telecom . We both learned something.:cool:

I am really amazed that a billion dollar company cannot produce a simple instructional video telling us how this stuff works and give us some of their recommendations on how to fully utilize this software. No manual. Just rely on users who can give good information and can also give info that is not accurate. A basic video tutorial costs peanuts to produce. I think it's really great that this Intelligent Navigation system has been added...but I think it's really irresponsible to not provide decent instruction...maybe it's the language thing, but relying on your customers to provide adequate instruction is pretty bush-league, in my view.

How do you thnk they became a billion dollar company?... Every peanut counts!

But seriously, I feel your frustration. Thanks to the amazing and supportive user community, we have some video explanations/tutorials, but I agree, Where the heck is the simulator for android users? And why weren't these features available in the first place (the aircraft I purchased back in 2014 was advertised as having the features that have just now come out, as functioning)?...

Back to my original statement, how do you think they became a billion dollar company...?

All that said, I'm very pleased with the I1's capabilities, build quality, and features. They've almost caught up providing all they promised the equipment could do back in 2014. Keep moving forward DJI, and maybe put a little more time in your application development to comb out the last of the functional bugs in the app, and add the simulator for android so you don't have any more 'second class' user out there.

Hi GadgetGuy
You are correct that the I1 RC has its own GPS receiver. The problem is that is unreliable and inaccurate especially at my latitude of 57N. To place the Home Point at the RC position normally requires me to raise the front of the RC to point to the equatorial sky. I have brought myself a Dual XGPS 160 which I place in my pocket. It greatly improves the RC/iOS device position.

Never used the Home Point at the RC, simply because it never worked: GPS signal weak message. And I have no faith doing so. Even if it finds the position while looking up to the sky, how can it update itself, with it's weakness, during flight while the pilot is moving?

I also fail to see how the RC GPS receiver gets improved by the GPS device. iOS and device are connected via bluetooth I guess but what about the RC GPS and the device?

Finally, I use an android tablet and I wonder how can someone utilize the tablet's GPS to set RC home point (except visually by watching the blue dot on the screen maybe.

It has been reported that DJI think that the I1 is too large and too high a risk for Follow Me at this time (and hopefully never - it is simply too dangerous). The public and media will jump on the first incident where some idiot files their following aircraft into a road bridge or building. Autopilot has written its own control laws for some of their features so they work better.
I used follow me a great number of times while beta testing for Autopilot FlightLogic, and it worked quite good. Also the Focus mode worked very well and the gimbal kept the RC in focus all the time. So I don't know why in GO I always get the message that the position of the RC is not accurate? In Autopilot my RC position is accurately displayed and followed.

I agree however that the Inspire is a bit intimidating in follow me. It moves very deliberately. And it does overshoot you sometimes when you make a turn or stop suddenly. So you have to be very sure you have no obstructions in the radius of the flight paths while in follow mode.
One nice thing is that you can at all times override the autonomy by simply moving the sticks.

Follow me for the Inspire is just here. Not in Go though. But there are multiple Apps available. Litchi (Android) does also follow me quite good (beta'd that as well), and waypoints, so does Ultimate Flight (also beta'd). And 1st October we get the Freeskies app with 3D Map waypoint route planning.

Gents, I have read as much as I can. After updating I only seem to have course lock in IOC available. I have not yet flown the Inspire due to weather. I believe it needs to be in the air is that correct ? to enable home lock and POI. Home lock and POI do not appear on the sim either.

Gents, I have read as much as I can. After updating I only seem to have course lock in IOC available. I have not yet flown the Inspire due to weather. I believe it needs to be in the air is that correct ? to enable home lock and POI. Home lock and POI do not appear on the sim either.
Hi Rowdy
Welcome to the I1 and the forum. You will find that the simulator does not simulate everything and the IOC modes you have tried are not correct since the introduction of the added Intelligent Navigation (IN) modes. When you fly the real thing you will see nothing until you are airborne and at least 5m above the ground. Switching the P-A-F switch to F will display a dialog box with all the IN modes (Home Lock, Course Lock, POI, Waypoint and Follow Me (not available on I1).

HOWEVER, if you have not flown the I1 before I do not advise you to try the IN modes until you have a number of hours under your belt. You first need to familiarise yourself with basic handling and control in the P-GPS mode using the Beginner Mode before moving on to ATTI (manual) mode. Be very careful progressing too fast. The I1 is very easy to fly and extremely stable and controllable but even the most experienced pilot can be caught out by over confidence in the aircraft and their own capabilities. You can get bitten in windy conditions and in confined areas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I discovered I needed to update my Ipad mini the I was able to update the controller to 1.4.30. All works fine now. Might help others as things are a little vague at times. Update everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide