Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Mini 4

Mine came this morning(SWEET), and realizing it already comes with iOS 9[emoji20]. Hopefully No conflicts, via Go App and AutoPilot. Much thinner than the others[emoji6]! Not a fan of preloaded apps and suggested apps, so I did an immediate dump of bloat apps to keep it clean. Didn't get a chance to fly today, but tomorrow is a go. Would also like to alert those that use the Alpha Glass, or other brand glass to make sure it is for the MINI 4 ONLY! All other glass and screen protectors are incompatible to my findings. Good Luck!

Reactions: John Archer
GPS for non sim pads. As pointed out the the Auto Pilot instructions there is a terrific Bluetooth GPS receiver that links to any iPad, as well as PC or MAC for that matter. No cellular account needed. Dual XGPS150A Universal GPS Receiver available on Amazon. Both one and it works great.

GPS for non sim pads. As pointed out the the Auto Pilot instructions there is a terrific Bluetooth GPS receiver that links to any iPad, as well as PC or MAC for that matter. No cellular account needed. Dual XGPS150A Universal GPS Receiver available on Amazon. Both one and it works great.

Another alternative is the Garmin GLO Bluetooth receiver which works with GPS/GLONASS and has about 12 hours battery life for $99 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portab...TF8&qid=1442696524&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+glo

I currently have an Ipad air but I'm looking at getting either a ipad mini or the Ipad air 2. My only concern with the mini is being able to see the map and camera view on the autopilot app. I'm afraid the mini might be to small. Any thoughts from someone using autopilot on the mini?

I have a mini 4 but it suites many requirements for me, not just the drone play. However it does sit nicely and is not bulky when on the Repeater. The downside is it isn't as powerful as the Air 2 when it comes to the graphics capabilities and screen real estate.

I guess it's a preference! I personally fly LOS and use the screen as a quick reference to check orientation. On the odd occasion I have to video or photo something from a distance the mini is more than adequate to track the bird.

On a final note it sits nicely in one hand too [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. After reviewing all the comments I have decided to go with the iPad Air 2 without a SIM. I like the look of the Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver as the GPS source. Using my iPhone 5S as a hot spot adds an extra layer of complexity, I don't need. In Australia the cheapest data plan for a SIM in an iPad would be somewhere between $10 and $20 per month. It does mean I will need to have the Bluetooth enabled on the iPad, but I will turn everything else off. I am off on holidays (to Japan) for 2 weeks and will not be taking the Inspire. Once I return I will post my experiences. Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. After reviewing all the comments I have decided to go with the iPad Air 2 without a SIM. I like the look of the Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver as the GPS source. Using my iPhone 5S as a hot spot adds an extra layer of complexity, I don't need. In Australia the cheapest data plan for a SIM in an iPad would be somewhere between $10 and $20 per month. It does mean I will need to have the Bluetooth enabled on the iPad, but I will turn everything else off. I am off on holidays (to Japan) for 2 weeks and will not be taking the Inspire. Once I return I will post my experiences. Thanks again
I have gone for the Dual XGPS160 to work with my iPad Air 2 and Mini 2 and the results are good. However, just to point out, you do not need a SIM data plan to make use of the built-in GPS receiver in the iPads sold with SIM capability.

Field Comparisons won't really make a difference they both have similar tech other than a slightly better lit screen it seems on the Mini 4 but a fast graphics processor on the Air 2. So basically if you are playing lots of games go for Air 2, if you are like me and business minded with lots of flights and coffee shop meetings where small and neat is better it a mini all the way.

Field Comparisons won't really make a difference they both have similar tech other than a slightly better lit screen it seems on the Mini 4 but a fast graphics processor on the Air 2. So basically if you are playing lots of games go for Air 2, if you are like me and business minded with lots of flights and coffee shop meetings where small and neat is better it a mini all the way.

Huh? Similar tech doesn't help me understand if I'll see a performance difference between the two. I play zero games and use the Air 2 for business as well. I'd prefer the smaller footprint IF I won't see a degradation of any sort from the Air 2.

Simple answer YES you will. Mini 4 got a slower processor at its core trying to shift same amount of dots dude.

I'm looking for actual experience. I can read a spec sheet but that doesn't tell me how well it performs (which is why I asked what I asked). I can tell a difference between an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6 but just trying to see what others are seeing.

Thank you both for the analysis. I usually just go back and forth with myself. But you did it for me. Ipad Min 4 for me. Throwing darts as both will be better than my Iphone 6 plus for real estate. Now I can make my friends squint at the screen while I LOS with occasional checks and easier UI I hope I hope.

FYI, I exchanged my mini 4 wifi for a cellular model per DJi's recommendation.

1. The cellular assisted GPS system (works in airplane mode)
2. Dji's Pilot App utilizes not only the inspire's barometers but also the iPad's barometers that are only found on the cellular models. (not sure if the barometers are new to the iPad mini 4 but i believe are also found on the iPad air 2 cellular.)

I noticed an overall performance improvement after the switch from the wifi to cellular model(the map within the app loads quick and is very accurate)

Not sure if the compass performs better ... but the mini 4 cellular seems to work better than my iPhone 6+ and has experienced less compass errors so far.

I bought the iPad Mini 4 for its size, better low reflectivity and ample or equivelent horse power processor (A8). I started with an iPad Air and it barely fits in the controller bracket. The tiny single screw that holds it doubles as the tension adjustment. Due to the added weight, (iPad air =1 pound iPad A2 =.96 and Mini 4=.65 pounds) the addition of a shade hood and the unit can flop around, misalign the transmitting antennas and block reception of the controller's GPS in follow me dynamic updating RTH. The Mini 4 is lighter, smaller, lets less light in, leaves room to add a protective case at the penalty of added weight, and features a better processor (A8) over my old iPad Air (A7) and slightly behind iPad Air 2's (A8X). Per Apple's site, Mini 4 is 1.3 times faster than A7 and A8X is 1.4 times faster than A7. A8 Graphics is 1.6 rated and A8X is 2.5 times faster than the A7. The Mini 4 beat the others in reflectivity, rating of 2 percent vs. the others at 9%.

Best Buy just dropped the price on the Mini 4 by $100 off every model. I expect Apple may roll out the A3 again in mid-March 2016. I can't see them passing up the specs of the 4 so I think the Mini 4 is a no brainier.

The Mini 4 fits in the DJI case perfectly with no modification. I bought the plain WIFI version as I can use my iPhone 6 as a hot spot if I need to update maps. You can also do that any McDonalds restaurant which has fee WIFI.

Although the DJI site does not yet list the Mini4 as a supported tablet, it downloads and runs the DJI Go app just fine.

My question for the group is any Mini 4 users like a case and hood combo they are using? I will pretty much dedicate the Mini 4 to the I1.

There seams to be a lot of disagreement whether to buy a cellular model iPad for the GPS. There are other threads in this site that claim running cellular will interfere with the reception between the AC and RC. Seems we can't have it all.

Comparison of iPad Air to Mini 4. Note extra space in holder. iPad Air is in Otter case and mini 4 is not. Otter case must be removed to use I1.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Apple Mini 4 fits inside DJI I1 case with no modification. Top is equal in height to the camera case of the Inspire One.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo