Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Jello in Video or What?

Reaction score
Is what I am seeing in the sky Jello or is there another explanation. Can this be corrected in post processing? Do I need to shoot in a higher or lower frame rate? right now its 1080P 30 ffs. You can see the blue going from dark to light. You have to look closely as its quite suttle.

?
Looks perfectly normal here. You might want to detail where/what exactly you think is wrong.

Is what I am seeing in the sky Jello or is there another explanation. Can this be corrected in post processing? Do I need to shoot in a higher or lower frame rate? right now its 1080P 30 ffs. You can see the blue going from dark to light. You have to look closely as its quite suttle.

What you are experiencing is a symptom of the woefully inadequate bitrate that the Inspire records at. It manifests itself as macro blocking in areas like the sky etc.
There is very little that can be done in post to fix this unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time or do a sky replacement (outside the scope of this forum I'm afraid).

EDIT: Oops... I didn't Editor's reply. Sorry! :oops:

"Jello" is when the whole images shimmies from side to side, like a plate of jello. This is due to the way the lateral motion is recorded by the rolling shutter onto the sensor.

EDIT: Oops... I didn't Editor's reply. Sorry! :oops:

"Jello" is when the whole images shimmies from side to side, like a plate of jello. This is due to the way the lateral motion is recorded by the rolling shutter onto the sensor.
So is there a way to fix that or compensate for it.

Yes, sell your Inspire and shell out 3 times the cash on an S900 with GH4 :p And even so it might not be perfect, maybe you need a RED ;)

But again there's no jello at all in your video, only a bit of compression noise in the fine gradient that's aggravated by the excessively fast movement.
If you make movements that "look good" in the first place it will be less noticeable.

Yes, sell your Inspire and shell out 3 times the cash on an S900 with GH4 :p And even so it might not be perfect, maybe you need a RED ;)

But again there's no jello at all in your video, only a bit of compression noise in the fine gradient that's aggravated by the excessively fast movement.
If you make movements that "look good" in the first place it will be less noticeable.
That makes sense as it seems to be adjusting as it is flowing, I will try some shots with slower movement to see if that helps. The feed that is put out of the HDMI port, on the controller, my understanding is that is uncompressed. I have a Atomos Ninja Star recorder which will record the feed uncompressed. Ill see if that works as well.

What comes out of HDMI is of course "uncompressed" because HDMI always carries uncompressed data... BUT the stream will have been heavily compressed to be sent over the air from the aircraft to the controller. So what you'll get out of the controller is of MUCH lower quality than what's recorded on the card (720p@1-8Mbps instead of 1080p@30Mbps or 4k@60Mbps).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters