Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Landing assistant error

Reaction score
To keep a long story short,

I was flying over some short grass, I would estimate less than 3cm, dry grass, in about 10ms of wind,
when I hit land, from about 5m, the inspire plunged downward too quickly, I didnt react thinking that at 2.5m it would get a sonar value and slow down,

big mistake, it just kept going and did a very hard landing, nothing damaged thankfully and the camera wasnt onboard.

I then made a test, and above the grass the sonar doesnt pick up until 1.7m whereas indoors it works at up to 2.5m

I guess that we need to be careful how and where we activate the landing function?

To keep a long story short,

I was flying over some short grass, I would estimate less than 3cm, dry grass, in about 10ms of wind,
when I hit land, from about 5m, the inspire plunged downward too quickly, I didnt react thinking that at 2.5m it would get a sonar value and slow down,

big mistake, it just kept going and did a very hard landing, nothing damaged thankfully and the camera wasnt onboard.

I then made a test, and above the grass the sonar doesnt pick up until 1.7m whereas indoors it works at up to 2.5m

I guess that we need to be careful how and where we activate the landing function?
Or,be sensible and not use the auto land or auto takeoff function at all.
It is a gimmick best avoided.

Hahahaha , that what i thought at first, then I tried it twice and it was perfect, the thrid flight was the dodgy one
I made two further flights after this one with the camera onboard and didnt dare risk it so I landed manually, which in 10ms wind was suprisingly easy to do.

Hahahaha , that what i thought at first, then I tried it twice and it was perfect, the thrid flight was the dodgy one
I made two further flights after this one with the camera onboard and didnt dare risk it so I landed manually, which in 10ms wind was suprisingly easy to do.
Yup, the Inspire is incredibly stable, even when landing and in ground effect. Very easy to land and take off. I have never tried the auto feature and doubt I ever will. But that's just me :p

I highly suspect that the angles motors blast a lot of the air to the sides and greatly reduce the downwash and ground effect. Also , the barometer used for alt hold is fooled a little by the downwash of the motors, and therefore the drones normally go a bit crazy, I think the sonar is helping eliminate that also .

I was very impressed with the Inspire one, I have only flown it on two days so far, but it is very stable, especially with the arms up. I have been flying multirotors professionally for 5 years, and out of the box I dont think I have seen a more stable platform.

Never used auto -landing or take -off.Agreed to all posters who are saying this is just a gimmick.
Have done very low altitude flying,but I always go up to about 2,5 mtr(10 feet) and start the landing from there.

The sensors can have a little difficulty with surfaces like grass and not be able to interpret the distance of the aircraft to the ground as well as hard surfaces.

That said, I tried the auto take-off once and it did not go well. It tipped over, instead of taking off. I have seen the auto-land feature work very well on a hard surface with my friend's Inspire. I do prefer to control the decent myself at this point in time, though.

We have had early sonar units in tractors. If you are in a crop and it is windy and the crop like wheat or even grass is constantly moving in the wind it will go crazy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions