Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Landing Gear stuck in Landing Position

Reaction score
Dear fellow I2 Pilots,

greetings from Innsbruck, Austria...

Researching this I found a few posts related to the Landing gear stuck in flight position.

However my I2‘s landing gear is stuck in Landing position.

I tried
# enabling / disabling landing gear settings in Go4
# while in flight toggle landing gear on I2 remote
# that ATTI fix described somewhere else

When I toggle landing gear on I2 remote when I2 is landed I hear a clicking sound from the motor.

I guess I have to RMA the Bird to DJI Holland. Of course it‘s outside Warranty...

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Dear fellow I2 Pilots,

Researching this I found a few posts related to the Landing gear stuck in flight position.

I tried

When I toggle landing gear on I2 remote when I2 is landed I hear a clicking sound from the motor.

I guess I have to RMA the Bird to DJI Holland. Of course it‘s outside Warranty...

Thanks
Chris
Did you try search.... there are several threads ...

Example.

Did you try search.... there are several threads ...

Example.

yes, I searched for „Landing Gear“ and for example this message did not show up. But thank you anyway. I will try the Screwdriver fix then.

Reactions: The Editor
For sure try manually moving the worm screw. I would suggest moving it only slightly, like four or five turns and then see if the functionality returns.

Out of curiosity, do you know how old the machine is?

For sure try manually moving the worm screw. I would suggest moving it only slightly, like four or five turns and then see if the functionality returns.

Out of curiosity, do you know how old the machine is?

I have to find the right screwdriver yet, we should have one in the company workshop at the fine mechanics tools.

that Inspire is about 3 years old, I bought it used from a lad in the UK pre-brexit.

btw should one rotate the screw clockwise or counterclockwise?

Dear fellow I2 Pilots,

I tried

Thanks
Chris
Make sure it is on a flat surface and smooth, nothing to obstruct the. Landing gear. It should then retract to storing position.

the worm drive has failed. you have to either use a very narrow screwdriver to raise/lower it manually and/or get the worm drive replaced. You can do it yourself, but if you haven't torn apart and i2 I would urge caution and patience...

Part Needed:

Reactions: vertrider1
This has been said many times before, just in case you missed it here is a important reminder to extend longevity of the actuator.
ALWAYS LIFT THE INSPIRE 2 OFF THE GROUND DURING TRANSFORMATION ACTION FROM TRANSPORT TO LANDING POSITION AND BACK!!!
Following this simple rule your I2 will reward you with serving you longer without wearing the actuator out prematurely again.

This has been said many times before, just in case you missed it here is a important reminder to extend longevity of the actuator.
ALWAYS LIFT THE INSPIRE 2 OFF THE GROUND DURING TRANSFORMATION ACTION FROM TRANSPORT TO LANDING POSITION AND BACK!!!
Following this simple rule your I2 will reward you with serving you longer without wearing the actuator out prematurely again.
Thank you, I am actually seldomly using the Transport Position as I use the Lowe Pro Inspired Backback, where the Inspire is transported within the Landing position.

So actually I could reactivate the Worm Drive again by using the proper screwdriver in our Workshop.
Testing on the work bench worked out fine, so I have to see next time flying.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• B8F007AE-4A0F-42A7-86A4-421AE6ECBB74.jpeg
    B8F007AE-4A0F-42A7-86A4-421AE6ECBB74.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 3937BC34-C1FE-430D-8AFB-48D17DECEA2F.jpeg
    3937BC34-C1FE-430D-8AFB-48D17DECEA2F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • BECE7EEE-E7AF-4EFC-BC6A-7F152C01CCF0.jpeg
    BECE7EEE-E7AF-4EFC-BC6A-7F152C01CCF0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 68382F33-A440-4606-9847-A31CDD2C6017.jpeg
    68382F33-A440-4606-9847-A31CDD2C6017.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
Thank you, I am actually seldomly using the Transport Position as I use the Lowe Pro Inspired Backback, where the Inspire is transported within the Landing position.
Well, that's good then. Buying second hand always carries a risk, as you usually do not know how the previous user treated it. I would assume that he or she did not follow my rule?. It does not take much, as the actuator needs to overcome some serious forces during the transformation, especially on rough ground or grass.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone, I made a brief Video about fixing / testing it.

Inspire 2 Landing Gear Testing
There is a grime visible on the worm screw. Or is it some sort of grease? In any case that should not be there! If I were you I would bring the landing gear into the flying position and cleaned the entire lenght of the worm screw with a degreaser such as IPA and soft tooth brush including the ball bearing at the top of the servo motor. Then I would very sparingly regrease it with a synthetic dry lube type lubricant. Like the one used on bicycle chain for example. The worm screw should be clean for smooth resistance free operation. It definitelly should not look like the one in your video!

There is a grime visible on the worm screw. Or is it some sort of grease? In any case that should not be there! If I were you I would bring the landing gear into the flying position and cleaned the entire lenght of the worm screw with a degreaser such as IPA and soft tooth brush including the ball bearing at the top of the servo motor. Then I would very sparingly regrease it with a synthetic dry lube type lubricant. Like the one used on bicycle chain for example. The worm screw should be clean for smooth resistance free operation. It definitelly should not look like the one in your video!
Thank you for examining this so closely. Hm, this is how that Worm Gear looks actually, I was wondering a bit as well.
Ok, then I will clean it. As I do Marketing and Purchasing in a huge Bicycle Store in Austria in my main Job, I am aware of a few synthetic dry lubes that would fit your requirement.

Thank you for examining this so closely. Hm, this is how that Worm Gear looks actually. Ok, then I will clean it. As I do Marketing and Purchasing in a huge Bicycle Store in Austria in my main Job, I am aware of a few synthetic dry lubes that would fit your requirement.
You can even use WD40 for cleaning. Repeat several times and always gently clean-wipe the excess of the oil with a strip of a cotton rag until the worm screw is completely clean and shiny even inside the grooves. You might actually use the WD40 for lubricantion. I believe DJI recommends it as suitable product. I prefer to use the dry lube though, as it only leaves a thin film of dry lubricant and dust does not stick to it. I am sure your drone will thank you for giving it a bit TLC...The worm screw should be checked and cleaned at least once a month, more often if flying in dusty condition.
BTW I use WÜRTH products which I find to be of an excellent quality and they have large range of products for various application. I have no association with WÜRTH company, just a happy user.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have restored functionality. Be aware, unfortunately, it might happen again. At least, that’s been my experience. Also, newer machines (from 2019 to now) seem to be immune to this. I’m not certain of that, just anecdotal observations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool