Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Long Exposure Sunset - 2 Second Exposure Samples

Here are a few shots I took last night along the coast.

This is a 2 second exposure. Taken with custom grad ND filter.
DJI_0237 by laselvasurf, on Flickr

This is a 1.3 second exposure. Taken with custom grad ND filter.
DJI_0218 by laselvasurf, on Flickr

Not as long of exposure on this one, I just really liked the colors.
DJI_0142 by laselvasurf, on Flickr

And here is a still shot that is not a long exposure, from the day before. I'm posting this so you can see how the Inspire handles wind. There were 20-30MPH winds with gusts up to 40MPH when I flew.

DJI_0044 by laselvasurf, on Flickr
I cant wait to head south for some beach shots! awesome work!

Apologies but how do you change the exposure & any tips on how to get the best results like above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here is a still shot that is not a long exposure, from the day before. I'm posting this so you can see how the Inspire handles wind. There were 20-30MPH winds with gusts up to 40MPH when I flew.

These are great! How did you do the long exposure on the I1 and how did it work without having any motion blur from the time it took to expose the shot without the camera moving??? I'm trying to do some night shots and the lowest I went with my shutter speed was 1/50, but you say I can go lower than that? I'm assuming you had good weather and wind wasn't causing much drifting of turbulence?? Great stuff!!!

These are great! How did you do the long exposure on the I1 and how did it work without having any motion blur from the time it took to expose the shot without the camera moving??? I'm trying to do some night shots and the lowest I went with my shutter speed was 1/50, but you say I can go lower than that? I'm assuming you had good weather and wind wasn't causing much drifting of turbulence?? Great stuff!!!
I guess a good start is a no wind condition, put the gimbal i Follow mode so it won't pan in any direction. :)

I guess a good start is a no wind condition, put the gimbal in Follow mode so it won't pan in any direction. :)
Low wind is better, but it'll do ok with a bit of a breeze too. Most of the shots I do are in follow mode, not free mode(I think is what you meant). If it's windy, I'll go to free, but most of the time it does fine with Follow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429666501.827213.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429666523.088888.jpg
Finally figured out how to do them Lol! Haha I never realized you had to lower the exposure in a program... Yeah yeah I'm a photography noob

Not sure how you guys are doing 2sec ones though? When I do it they come out extremely bright and kinda purple pinkish

View attachment 1280View attachment 1281
Finally figured out how to do them Lol! Haha I never realized you had to lower the exposure in a program... Yeah yeah I'm a photography noob

Not sure how you guys are doing 2sec ones though? When I do it they come out extremely bright and kinda purple pinkish

Nice! You need to either get a super dark ND filter, or wait till there is less light. There is a sweet spot about 15 minutes after/before sunset that you can get the 2-3 second exposure shots.

A couple long exposure shots I took while on a business trip to Portland...

DJI_0999 by laselvasurf, on Flickr

DJI_0131 by laselvasurf, on Flickr

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
I feel dumb for asking this but... Are the long exposure times all a function of the shutter speed on the inspire? Because the aperture cannot be adjusted, does this mean we are all limited to long exposure shots taken during the evening or night time?

I feel dumb for asking this but... Are the long exposure times all a function of the shutter speed on the inspire? Because the aperture cannot be adjusted, does this mean we are all limited to long exposure shots taken during the evening or night time?
Long/slow shutter speeds you mean. A slower shutter speed will let more light in. The other way is to bump up your ISO, but that will create grain/noise in your shot.

Amazing shots!

Im thinking aurora australis and aurora borealis shots.

I live in Tasmania at about 43 deg latitude and get great access to this amazing phenomenon. What do you guys think?

Pics Here

Long/slow shutter speeds you mean. A slower shutter speed will let more light in. The other way is to bump up your ISO, but that will create grain/noise in your shot.

I understand that a slower shutter speed will let more light in, but concerning my question, I would assume that the only time you could take one of these shots is during the evening/night time because the aperture cannot be adjusted for daytime long exposure shots. Am I correct?

Im thinking aurora australis and aurora borealis shots.

I live in Tasmania at about 43 deg latitude and get great access to this amazing phenomenon. What do you guys think?

Pics Here

Did you ever have a go at this? Naturally, you'd have done it from the ground, since we're limited to flying daylight hours only down here :)

There was a big aurora last night (Kp7 at one point), but I slept through it.

When I don't sleep through our aurora australis shows, I shoot for somewhere between 8 & 20s (depending on the brightness of the show), f/1.4 and at ISO.

The i1 camera might be able to capture a really bright aurora, but I'm thinking that it would be overwhelmed with noise from the less-than-optimal sensor?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG