Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost a propeller and crashed

Sorry, can I just check. I have the original props with the locks that came with the Inspire. i.e the plastic clip on locks that attach over the hub of the props.
Are we saying these are OK or not OK and if they not recommended, which ones should I be buying ?
thanks

Sorry, can I just check. I have the original props with the locks that came with the Inspire. i.e the plastic clip on locks that attach over the hub of the props.
Are we saying these are OK or not OK and if they not recommended, which ones should I be buying ?
thanks
Mossie

I presume your query is addressed to me. I think that the original threaded props with fitted locks are eminently suited to the Inspire 1. I upgraded to the quick release props when they were supplied by DJI as freebies as an existing owner. I was unimpressed with the plastic hubs that came with the DJI supplied props, particularly with the ease that they could be broken. Having 2 screw holes lined up with the central hole, and the possibility of over tightening the screws, I and others thought could split the plastic hubs. Therefore I quickly upgraded to the alloy hubs. The rapid speed changes of the motors would place considerable forces on the plastic hubs which could also fatigue over time. I consider the alloy hubs with DJI QR props to be as secure as the original threaded props with fitted locks. I have a personal preference for the alloy hubs and QR props.

What I was hoping to get from Avispa was an indication as to what failed in his case. Collecting such information from real accidents will hopefully provide some "science" to my thoughts and assumptions. I hope this thread gets sticky and others lend their experiences to the discussion.

Mossie

I presume your query is addressed to me. I think that the original threaded props with fitted locks are eminently suited to the Inspire 1. I upgraded to the quick release props when they were supplied by DJI as freebies as an existing owner. I was unimpressed with the plastic hubs that came with the DJI supplied props, particularly with the ease that they could be broken. Having 2 screw holes lined up with the central hole, and the possibility of over tightening the screws, I and others thought could split the plastic hubs. Therefore I quickly upgraded to the alloy hubs. The rapid speed changes of the motors would place considerable forces on the plastic hubs which could also fatigue over time. I consider the alloy hubs with DJI QR props to be as secure as the original threaded props with fitted locks. I have a personal preference for the alloy hubs and QR props.

What I was hoping to get from Avispa was an indication as to what failed in his case. Collecting such information from real accidents will hopefully provide some "science" to my thoughts and assumptions. I hope this thread gets sticky and others lend their experiences to the discussion.

OK, thanks for the reply

According to earlier answers in this thread the threaded props together with the prop locks seems to be considered as the safest solution.

State after crash.. only 10 meters ¡¡¡
battery deform...
all littering ..

i-one-crash.jpg

Hi there. I'm writing an article on my blog about possible ways to avoid crashes and wondered if I could use your photo in it?

Many thanks

Paul

Added bonus for the origiNal props (self tightening +prop locks)...much quieter. That plastic hub and plastic props..bs..especially on a bird worth 3k!

I had just purchased the QR props. I took off brought it to a 20 foot hover when one of the props flew off. The inspire crashed obviously breaking the gimbal but that was about it. I sent it in to DJI for repair about 4 weeks ago but haven't heard anything on if it'll be covered. Once I get the inspire back I'll probably just put the original threaded props back on.

I had just purchased the QR props. I took off brought it to a 20 foot hover when one of the props flew off. The inspire crashed obviously breaking the gimbal but that was about it. I sent it in to DJI for repair about 4 weeks ago but haven't heard anything on if it'll be covered. Once I get the inspire back I'll probably just put the original threaded props back on.
Nick

Were you able to determine why the prop came off? I refer to the query I posed to Avispa (Reply #28).
Thanks

Nick

Were you able to determine why the prop came off? I refer to the query I posed to Avispa (Reply #28).
Thanks

really I do not know what has caused this.

I've flown over 20 times with this model.

Driving drones for more than 3 years
Actually
Droidworx AD6 with AV200 gimbal. 2 years
Droidworx CX4 for scan3d. 3 years
and finally a Yuneec q500+ from 6 months ago.
I never had incidents with these models.
mounted shaft and nut.

inspire one, one month and crash.

This is a big surprise ..

Best
Peter

Last edited:
No tengo tiempo, en cuanto pueda sacaré unas fotos, pero no va ayudar mucho.

Solo eje con tuerca es 100% seguro..

Realmente no volveré a volar el inspire-one, voy a pelear por un reembolso del importe con mi seguro contratado a todo riesgo.

Inspire 1, no me inspira confianza.

Siempre voy a pensar que volvera a suceder, esto modelo no es bueno para el trabajo, es arriesgado.

Best.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I can affirm that the ridge inside the prop can wear to the point that the QR prop will attach properly but with a slight amount of pressure (presumably when the Inspire areobrakes) the prop can work itself loose. I happened to luck out that the prop flew off just after the motors were armed and had completed the quick 1 sec burst and were spinning back down to idle. I inspected the hub, found no excessive wear and tried a new QR prop which stayed locked-in. Now as part of my pre-check I double check the props by lightly nudging them to make sure they are secured. The kicker is that if you visually look at the ridge, it also doesn't seem to be badly worn so the nudge test is the only thing I could think of to ensure peace of mind.

Reactions: nolesaz
Well, I'm convinced now. I'm getting the 'old' threaded props.
I didn't enjoy the max burst at startup as much as I would with self tightening props anyhow.

Reactions: damoncooper
My QR props and hardware were brand spanking new. I had just put them on and hovered the aircraft for about 30-40 sec. when the left rear prop flew off. I know I double checked them when I put them on. So someday when I actually get my Inspire back from DJI I'm going back to the threaded props. Too much to risk if it happened again (cost and 8 week wait).

Reactions: Obsoletion
I'd still send it back to DJI for eval. You might very well get a warranty repair out of it.
I sent my Inspire to the DJI LA office for repair after one of the QR props came off. It's a long, long can I say long, process to get it repaired. I sent it in 4 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything on whether it'll be covered under the warranty.

Well, I'm convinced now. I'm getting the 'old' threaded props.
I didn't enjoy the max burst at startup as much as I would with self tightening props anyhow.
It seems the original ones from DJI are no longer for sale.
Every dealer I contacted only has the QL ones. And I'm not going to use 3rd party props.

It seems the original ones from DJI are no longer for sale.
Every dealer I contacted only has the QL ones. And I'm not going to use 3rd party props.
That's because I bought up the entire worlds stock like an evil James Bond Villain when I saw those stupid QR things come to market. I cleared out 3 dealers worth of stock of the self tightening props :p

Joking aside.....you should be able to still get them as DJI still list them
http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props
And http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props-yellow
And http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props-white

And the locks (Redundancy) http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-propeller-lock

That's because I bought up the entire worlds stock like an evil James Bond Villain when I saw those stupid QR things come to market. I cleared out 3 dealers worth of stock of the self tightening props :p

Joking aside.....you should bee able to still get them as DJI still list them
http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props
And http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props-yellow
And http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props-white

And the locks (Redundancy) http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-propeller-lock

Thanks, I didn't look at what's probably the most obvious place to look :)
Normally they do only list what they want to sell, so I think I'm good for a couple of yellow stripes.

So....based on all the info posted, should I get rid of my QR props and remove the locking system.....and purchase the original props and prop locks?

I purchased my Version D last month and it came with QR locking system installed and QR props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide