Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost a propeller and crashed

What about a gentle upward push to the "spring system" (the four metal pices of the QR) in order to give it a little more resistance? I don't know if I explain myself

For what its worth I had had two experiences where a prop has spun off ( QR Props) as I started up the rotors.

Each time I had thought I had put them on and done a quick check.

Each time I was wrong, my check had not been thorough enough and I had not seated the QR prop securely. Having put the props on literally hundreds of times I guess I got sloppy. my error and I ensure I double check them each time.
Can't make that mistake with threaded.
Can't get them on the wrong way round
Can't mistake whether they are spun on
Can't mistake putting on a prop lock
Can't mistake I'm staying with threaded props :p

Which curiously btw DJI have now reintroduced on their website in three varieties, Plain, Yellow tipped and Orange tipped.

Reactions: damoncooper
For what its worth I had had two experiences where a prop has spun off ( QR Props) as I started up the rotors.

Each time I had thought I had put them on and done a quick check.

Each time I was wrong, my check had not been thorough enough and I had not seated the QR prop securely. Having put the props on literally hundreds of times I guess I got sloppy. my error and I ensure I double check them each time.

World media thanks for your honesty about your mistakes. To me that speaks volumes about the possibility of others having made the same mistake if it could happen to someone twice. Im not saying all, but some other crashes are likely due to user error. I think when reporting crashes, people often don't want to assume any responsibility (even partial) because they are upset and have just lost a lot of money. I have read a lot of posts about fly aways and other crashes and i often find something in the discussion that points to user error. I myself expect that at some point i will crash either an inspire or whatever comes next and am fully prepared for that. The joy of flying the Inspire1, the video i get and hopefully soon, the money i make, fully compensate me for an occasional crash.

On another note i read that to replace the hub locks requires a torque wrench to get them tight enough but not over tightened. I am pretty sure that is on DJI web site.

World media thanks for your honesty about your mistakes. To me that speaks volumes about the possibility of others having made the same mistake if it could happen to someone twice. Im not saying all, but some other crashes are likely due to user error. I think when reporting crashes, people often don't want to assume any responsibility (even partial) because they are upset and have just lost a lot of money. I have read a lot of posts about fly aways and other crashes and i often find something in the discussion that points to user error. I myself expect that at some point i will crash either an inspire or whatever comes next and am fully prepared for that. The joy of flying the Inspire1, the video i get and hopefully soon, the money i make, fully compensate me for an occasional crash.

On another note i read that to replace the hub locks requires a torque wrench to get them tight enough but not over tightened. I am pretty sure that is on DJI web site.
I've tried to find one with values around the low torque setting you require, struggling to find one here in the UK.

I have followed this thread with interest and made a few comments. What is clear is that we are all somewhat in the dark. I respect the opinions of the contributors but many are based on "surveys of one" and/or are reasoned speculation. DJI are not particularly helpful with the variable availability of threaded props and a note that the use of alloy hubs will void any warranty claims, although I can't see why they are not better than the "cheap" plastic ones.

I therefore intend to conduct some scientific research. I have rigged a way of securing the Inspire that enables the props the spin freely and the landing gear to go up and down. It is interesting to see the flex and bend in the attachment arm when doing some typical maneuvers. My intention is to attach both QR and threaded props with a number of "flaws". I will have the same flaw on both a white and black prop and probably use the rear of the Inspire as if and when the fly off, there is less to hit. The camera and gimbal will not be attached for obvious reasons, and I don't think this will influence the outcome. The variations I intend to try are:

1. Threaded props (without locks) but not properly seated (I remember the black ones not spinning freely to the bottom like the white ones did).
2. QR release props not fully seated.
3. QR props with some of the internal ridging filed down, imitating normal wear.
4. QR props, correctly attached but with the plastic hubs partially cut along the screw line, hoping they may completely split in "flight".

Before I start this experiment I am floating my plans in this thread looking for any suggestions or comments. Also if any one has any "spare props" that may be slightly damaged can they send them to me in Australia. (PO Box 1043, SURREY HILLS NORTH, 3127).

Attachments

• DJI.jpg
    DJI.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DJI_1.jpg
    DJI_1.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 42
I have followed this thread with interest and made a few comments. What is clear is that we are all somewhat in the dark. I respect the opinions of the contributors but many are based on "surveys of one" and/or are reasoned speculation. DJI are not particularly helpful with the variable availability of threaded props and a note that the use of alloy hubs will void any warranty claims, although I can't see why they are not better than the "cheap" plastic ones.

I therefore intend to conduct some scientific research. I have rigged a way of securing the Inspire that enables the props the spin freely and the landing gear to go up and down. It is interesting to see the flex and bend in the attachment arm when doing some typical maneuvers. My intention is to attach both QR and threaded props with a number of "flaws". I will have the same flaw on both a white and black prop and probably use the rear of the Inspire as if and when the fly off, there is less to hit. The camera and gimbal will not be attached for obvious reasons, and I don't think this will influence the outcome. The variations I intend to try are:

1. Threaded props (without locks) but not properly seated (I remember the black ones not spinning freely to the bottom like the white ones did).
2. QR release props not fully seated.
3. QR props with some of the internal ridging filed down, imitating normal wear.
4. QR props, correctly attached but with the plastic hubs partially cut along the screw line, hoping they may completely split in "flight".

Before I start this experiment I am floating my plans in this thread looking for any suggestions or comments. Also if any one has any "spare props" that may be slightly damaged can they send them to me in Australia. (PO Box 1043, SURREY HILLS NORTH, 3127).
Have you physically 'flown' this rig yet?
The reason I ask is that I think you will find that as soon as you increase the throttle past idle the FC 'wants' the AC to lift off. Because the sensors on board will give no indication of movement the FC will apply more corrective power to the motors and you will get an integral wind up taking place.
The same thing will happen with any stick inputs because the Inspire will not actually change attitude corresponding to the command input.
I may be wrong but..........

Also, I would not trust those clamps to hold the Inspire at full throttle based on purely the frictional force of gripping the battery. :eek:

Have you physically 'flown' this rig yet?
The reason I ask is that I think you will find that as soon as you increase the throttle past idle the FC 'wants' the AC to lift off. Because the sensors on board will give no indication of movement the FC will apply more corrective power to the motors and you will get an integral wind up taking place.
The same thing will happen with any stick inputs because the Inspire will not actually change attitude corresponding to the command input.
I may be wrong but..........

Also, I would not trust those clamps to hold the Inspire at full throttle based on purely the frictional force of gripping the battery. :eek:
Yes I have tried it in ATTI mode. The Inspire responded with increased motor speed in response to stick inputs. Once the sticks were released it slipped back to idle.

The piece of wood is actually made into a "U" shape and holds the Inspire along a reasonable length on both sides of the battery housing. It was very secure and the timber had the only movement as it flexed and twisted with the force the Inspire generated.

I appreciate your comments and so far so good.

I get my I1 this week. I have been waiting inpatiently for it. I am psyched about it. Now I'm I'm told there is a fly away prop issue. This isn't first time I'm hearing this. Please tell me the correct and safe way to mount the props. I don't want to lose my baby on the first day.

I get my I1 this week. I have been waiting inpatiently for it. I am psyched about it. Now I'm I'm told there is a fly away prop issue. This isn't first time I'm hearing this. Please tell me the correct and safe way to mount the props. I don't want to lose my baby on the first day.
Hi,
Check this video out by Lesmess, that's the way to put your props QR

Lost a propeller and crashed

Man, I'm glad you said this. Many of the black threaded props made me uncomfortable because of exactly this. When mounting them, 4 of the 6 props that I purchased with the I1 (all black ones), never really felt like they would ever stop tightening, and I didn't want to strip them. The resistance increased, but it never hit what felt like a stop. I did not like them one bit. I transitioned from a Phantom 2 and that drone's props never felt odd. Nor did the I1 silver props.

I'm on QR props because of exactly this.

Welcome to the Inspire owners club, you will be absolutely thrilled with your purchase. There are tons of stuff on this forum to get you started on the right foot. First after unpacking update the bird, controller & batteries to the latest firmware. Check you have the latest update for your preferred tablet. I would then calibrate the IMU when cold ( bird switched off for an hour or so) in your home on a flat level surface. Go through the calibration process for the controller and then some practice on the flight sim. Set ur return to home height, select multiple flight mode. Upload the Ariel map of you preferred flying site and off you go. At the site switch on ur app then the controller and finally the bird, calibrate the compass check the sensor values, bird orientation on the map. Ensure u are in gps mode, start the motors let her idle for 30 seconds then take her up to about two meters and get used to how she responds to gentle control inputs. I never put mine into beginners mode if you having flying experience no need it is easy to fly in either GPS or ATTI mode. Search for checklists there has been a few posted on this site. Enjoy ur purchase I still can't believe how stable she is, the tripod in the sky is a worthy tag. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

original properlles and the last system for attach
flight correctly over 10 o more flights.

Do you original Quick release props? Or the old threaded props with or without prop locks?

I guess you mean the Quick release props?

Do you original Quick release props? Or the old threaded props with or without prop locks?

Do you mean the original Quick release props? Or the old threaded props with or without prop locks?

Today my i-one, in flight has lost a propeller and crashed.

¡¡¡¡ Fantastic design for properllers, not works well and lost on flight . ¡¡¡

i have my i-one full lost, camera, batery, frame, arms.. internal mechanical parts, and work not finished.

not worth repairing ..

propellers, they fly alone ..

Today is bad day for me...

my i-one is dead... only from 10 meters..

best
Peter
Same thing appened to me. Lost a prop in sky. The prop whit a clip.

That's because I bought up the entire worlds stock like an evil James Bond Villain when I saw those stupid QR things come to market. I cleared out 3 dealers worth of stock of the self tightening props :p

Joking aside.....you should be able to still get them as DJI still list them
Buy Inspire 1 - 1345 Self-tightening Props | DJI Store
And Buy Inspire 1 - 1345 Self-tightening Props (Yellow Stripes) | DJI Store
And Buy Inspire 1 - 1345 Self-tightening Props (White Stripes) | DJI Store

And the locks (Redundancy) Buy Inspire 1 - Propeller Lock | DJI Store

Me Too[emoji13]! Put the originals back on afterwards.. **** Hoarders lol

I ditched all the DJI props and when to these. I do have the 1st DJI props and prop locks as back ups just in case. I have tested these with my "not so special" inspire. I have seven started the I1 up when the props were not tight, to see if the motors would tighten up the prop. They did with no problems. I really tried to have the props fly off during flight. From 55 MPH to a dead stop and everything in between. I could not make it happen.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    946.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

Members online

No members online now.