Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost My Inspire 1 Into Lake

Yikes!!! I feel your pain. I lost my Phantom 4Pro over water. Fell like a shot duck with a catastrophic battery failure.
I learned the hard way about constant battery health monitoring.

Reactions: gregg Kielma
Flying my inspire 1 this morning over a lake and then suddenly it’s fallen out the sky and goodbye drone

1) More than likely you will get a slap on the hand from the moderator because you already posted this in another thread.

2) Forum members are going to ask you for log files and a bunch more information. Assuming you can't get the log files off the sunken Inspire, there are log files in your iPad/iPhone/Android/etc. Use your Google machine to figure out how to get them out.

D

I`ll post the log files a soon as I can, my first post didn`t really give much details as I was so angry as a result of the incident , i`d been fly for approximately 10 minutes the drone battery was at 64% about 10 feet above the lake taking video/photos of the swimmers ,I was in the area of a local airport ,to be honest by about 50 metres of the outer area(but had been in contact with the control tower and was told due to the restricted height of my inspire they told me I was ok to operate there so boxes ticked) the flight was going according to plan when suddenly i lost visual signal followed by "landing gear coming down" warning and the option to swipe the ipad to return to home, at which point i had lost any visual on the drone and was told by the guys in the canoes that it had gone down, i`ve been flying drones for about 12 months(I also own a phantom 3 standard, which i`ve also flown at the lake) but have flown rc gliders for years my concern was why this happened if i could put it down to pilot error i`d take it on the chin and say lesson learnt but since this morning i`ve come across posts about inspires landing due to being in restricted airspace, excuse my naivety but wouldn`t a warning to land be helpful rather than it just landing anywhere

I`ll post the log files a soon as I can, my first post didn`t really give much details as I was so angry as a result of the incident , i`d been fly for approximately 10 minutes the drone battery was at 64% about 10 feet above the lake taking video/photos of the swimmers ,I was in the area of a local airport ,to be honest by about 50 metres of the outer area(but had been in contact with the control tower and was told due to the restricted height of my inspire they told me I was ok to operate there so boxes ticked) the flight was going according to plan when suddenly i lost visual signal followed by "landing gear coming down" warning and the option to swipe the ipad to return to home, at which point i had lost any visual on the drone and was told by the guys in the canoes that it had gone down, i`ve been flying drones for about 12 months(I also own a phantom 3 standard, which i`ve also flown at the lake) but have flown rc gliders for years my concern was why this happened if i could put it down to pilot error i`d take it on the chin and say lesson learnt but since this morning i`ve come across posts about inspires landing due to being in restricted airspace, excuse my naivety but wouldn`t a warning to land be helpful rather than it just landing anywhere
So you were flying in controlled airspace? BLOS? Your posting is difficult to decipher.

Reactions: marctronixx
Ok guys i`m just trying to find out what happen ,if I was showing off i`d take it on the chin and learn my lesson but i want to know what happened or what I did wrong.
I was flying in the outer area of the local airport fly zone (approx 50 metres from the edge of the zone)who I contacted explaining what I was planning and their response was due to where i was, the height I was flying at I didn`t need to notify them in future.
I`ve looked at what I have on my ipad and all it show is basically an over head shot of the flight path i took height ,speed etc nothing in this showing i did anything to cause the "crash"
I`ve read that there`s a possibility the software has a built in landing failsafe if you`re in a NFZ i`m sure you`ll point out if i`ve made a mistake in that respect .
The end of the flight was loss of visual followed by the display telling me the landing gear was coming down ,then on the screen the return to home slider was displayed which i did in the hope it would rth.
I can only tell you what I know sorry if this isn`t enough this has cost me some serious money which I can`t afford to lose ,no one`s perfect

Reactions: Joe Perez
Ok guys i`m just trying to find out what happen ,if I was showing off i`d take it on the chin and learn my lesson but i want to know what happened or what I did wrong.
I was flying in the outer area of the local airport fly zone (approx 50 metres from the edge of the zone)who I contacted explaining what I was planning and their response was due to where i was, the height I was flying at I didn`t need to notify them in future.
I`ve looked at what I have on my ipad and all it show is basically an over head shot of the flight path i took height ,speed etc nothing in this showing i did anything to cause the "crash"
I`ve read that there`s a possibility the software has a built in landing failsafe if you`re in a NFZ i`m sure you`ll point out if i`ve made a mistake in that respect .
The end of the flight was loss of visual followed by the display telling me the landing gear was coming down ,then on the screen the return to home slider was displayed which i did in the hope it would rth.
I can only tell you what I know sorry if this isn`t enough this has cost me some serious money which I can`t afford to lose ,no one`s perfect
Can you post the exact location?

Sandhurst GU47 7JG UK x marks the spot

Attachments

• 3044EEDD-BCEC-435B-860F-F1E482D470A1.jpeg
    3044EEDD-BCEC-435B-860F-F1E482D470A1.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 50
I'm sorry for your loss!
Here is what I think happened. Flying at 10 feet over water out of visible range is very risky as the altimeter can get easy confused and this is very hard to be noticed when not seing the drone itself. Many times I have seen how mine is going down when flying low over water (loosing altitude) while I move only forward stick and the telemetry doesn't show any changes in altitude. Then I manually adjust the altitude by pushing the left stick. Aditionally It is very difficult to recognize you're too low when watching only trough camera.
I asume while you didn't set the RTH initially you also have not turn off the downward positioning sensor as it is recomended while flying over water? Also you obiously left the auto landing gear setting on. All those small things may have contributed to the accident.

So at 7 feet (by telemetry) the drone was actually lower as it have initiated the landing gear procedure, that thing usually makes the drone loose a few feet while transforming. It was already too low and he touch the water.
I'm always very scared when have to do low flying over water, it is always a little nightmare for me.

Thanks Niki, I’ve since spoken to the girl who was on the water in a canoe and she said it was gradually loosing height, this has been an expensive learning curve my main concern has been finding out what I could have done wrong and as it turns out that’s exactly the problem I’d got the rth point set so that was a surprise when it didn’t after giving me the option but lesson learned

Looks like all telemetry from the controller is gone.....
Just to be clear... the telemetry is not in the controller. It’s in the tablet. I think you know that and just mis-typed... but just wanted to make sure you were looking in the right place. Because not having the telemetry is very unusual. I upload to Airdata all the time and have never had a telemetry failure.

Thank you for clarifying that. I do understand but you help clear it up for everybody

Hope you figure out what happened. To cover the financial side though you should consider getting a State Farm policy.

Si regarding the screen shot that was posted...... there is no controller/aircraft telemetry showing.

No video signal data. No control signal data.

Does this imply that all contact back to the pilot has been lost or removed? Did Big Brother take control?

Si regarding the screen shot that was posted...... there is no controller/aircraft telemetry showing.

No video signal data. No control signal data.

Does this imply that all contact back to the pilot has been lost or removed? Did Big Brother take control?
This is all a learning curve for me and all the data i have was on the screen ,i`ve read somewhere there should have been some data regarding signal etc but it`s a mystery to me any advice or help is greatly appreciated

This is all a learning curve for me and all the data i have was on the screen ,i`ve read somewhere there should have been some data regarding signal etc but it`s a mystery to me any advice or help is greatly appreciated
Might be hidden in dji app just have to keep poking around sometimes before you find it. Is there anyway you can get it out of Lake

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth