Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

M200/M210 for cinematography

Reaction score
Hi
We want to build a drone for live TV as an alternative to the Inspire 2. The broadcast company we are working for is not happy with the Lightbridge downlink. It really "jumps" when they cut from the OB cameras to the drone feed. So we need a good alternative:
Thinking in a M200/M210
Gremsy gimbal
Black Magic Studio micro + Olympus primes. Ideally a fast zoom lens
Skaarhoj WI FI wireless remote for the BM
High quality wireless video sender like Teradek or Microlink

I know that landing gear in the M200/M210 is fixed. So I know that at least that must be modified to pan the camera and not see the LG
The batteries protrudes way down, so I assume I cannot point backwards without seeing the batteries unless the angle is very down
Has anybody experience controlling wirelessly any camera? BM or not?
Does anybody know if this configuration could work? Can the M200 be operated dual op. just like the I2?
We are very pleased with the I2 low profile / medium-small size. We don´t want to go for something bigger unless there is not an alternative

Best regards

We have a lot of experience building custom copters for more than a decade and prior to becoming a DJI dealer. We have built many multi operator systems with good video downlinks like you are suggesting. We have had excellent luck with Teradek and Connex. Connex is the brand produced by Amimon - which as of a a couple years ago also supplied all of the tech that was inside Teradek and another company.

The BM cameras had options for a PWM wiring harness which might open up the expansion ports to you on the back of an M210 (but not an M200).

We would be happy to work with you further on this, just give some advice, or provide anything that you are considering purchasing.

Please just let us know how we might be able to help.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Amimon was purchased by Teradek a few months ago. Amimon provided the chips for virtually all of the zero latency HD wireless VTXs out there. Now that Teradek owns that tech it will be interesting to see what happens to the market.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
We have a lot of experience building custom copters for more than a decade and prior to becoming a DJI dealer. We have built many multi operator systems with good video downlinks like you are suggesting. We have had excellent luck with Teradek and Connex. Connex is the brand produced by Amimon - which as of a a couple years ago also supplied all of the tech that was inside Teradek and another company.

The BM cameras had options for a PWM wiring harness which might open up the expansion ports to you on the back of an M210 (but not an M200).

We would be happy to work with you further on this, just give some advice, or provide anything that you are considering purchasing.

Please just let us know how we might be able to help.

After reading your post I thought you would be the man to ask. Do you think the M210v2 can be fitted to carry a Sony a7RIII? and have good feedback via a single screen? For use in mapping and inspections. There is software I have to run on DJI, but I have other work I would like to use a better camera than the zenmuse line.

Thanks,
Gary Griffith

Yes - its possible - not sure about the single screen - I know some integrations have been done via Skyport...just not sure someone has done one that would accept a Sony camera. Do you need the Sony on a controllable gimbal or can it be hard mounted? With a separate video TX it's easy. You can also add a Sony Sky Commander to get control of the camera settings.

Although not the same as the Sony a7R series, the v2 Matrice can use the X7 if that gets you close to what you need without the custom integration. At least you go to a Super35 sensor.

Thank you. Appreciate the information. Would like to have a drone so when an upgraded camera is needed I don't have to replace the drone as well.

Thanks for the reply!
Do you know what people are using these days for controlling an airborne camera?
What is Sony Sky Commander?
Any experience with IMT Dragonfly?
Best regards!

Hi
We want to build a drone for live TV as an alternative to the Inspire 2. The broadcast company we are working for is not happy with the Lightbridge downlink. It really "jumps" when they cut from the OB cameras to the drone feed. So we need a good alternative:
Thinking in a M200/M210
Gremsy gimbal

I know that landing gear in the M200/M210 is fixed. So I know that at least that must be modified to pan the camera and not see the LG
The batteries protrudes way down, so I assume I cannot point backwards without seeing the batteries unless the angle is very down
Does anybody know if this configuration could work? Can the M200 be operated dual op. just like the I2?
We are very pleased with the I2 low profile / medium-small size. We don´t want to go for something bigger unless there is not an alternative

Best regards
Just a few thoughts... and agree, Michale from FL Drone Supply would be great resource!
Small size is probably one of your primary concerns... but if payload of larger gimbal & Black Magic and needing additional physical "mounting surface" for additional electronics, along with retractable landing gear while staying with pre-made lower cost platforms: the M600Pro or S1000 platform might be a good candidate.... although they are on the larger size... to handle the heavier payloads, electronic redundancy and the extra insurance of 6-8 motors vs 4 when carrying larger camera systems.

The M600Pro is fully equipped with LB2 A3 electronics, although the S1000 / S900 could utilize pretty much any RF gear and several options for mounting gimbals and antennas. Allows option to install LB2 & A3 for Flight Control and separate gear for video transmission. The S900's physical size isn't as large compared to other two.

The X7 on the M210v2 would provide a much lighter solution.

We already have an Inspire 2 / X5S / X7. The problem is that we cannot get camera output to use a third party TX. Is this possible in the M210?

Hi
Thinking in a M200/M210
Gremsy gimbal

Best regards
I think you should try M200 V2 with - say - X5S camera and Cendence V2 radio first to see if this configuration will provide more reliable video transmission to TV truck. V2 is using different transmission protocol, supposedly more efficient. I'm using M200 for landscape filming in and have found that fixed landing gear is not really much of the annoyance. M200 series has greater mass, therefore with some practice and proper settings smooth yaw is easy to perform even by single operator. Once you confirm video feed as satisfactory, X7 camera may provide a notch or two better image quality.

Last edited:
I think you should try M200 V2 with - say - X5S camera and Cendence V2 radio first to see if this configuration will provide more reliable video transmission to TV truck. V2 is using different transmission protocol, supposedly more efficient. I'm using M200 for landscape filming in and have found that fixed landing gear is not really much of the annoyance. M200 series has greater mass, therefore with some practice and proper settings smooth yaw is easy to perform even by single operator. Once you confirm video feed as satisfactory, X7 camera may provide a notch or two better quality.
Thank you!
I will try to test an M200 V2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry