Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Major vibration

Thanks Ed, perhaps even you can answer a question I have been asking Dji for the past two months...the first two pages of this thread show a slow-mo video of my inspire and detailed instructions for the repair I performed. I have been asking Dji if I missed anything. This repair required a hex wrench, pair of scissors, and a strip of plastic. What did I do wrong?

Rob I cannot scansion what you did as a user. That is not what DJI recommends. I am sorry but as a DJI employee I cannot respond to your request.

Hey Ed, I get what you are saying about DIY repairs causing problems rather than fixing them. However, I can buy a new car and adjust the ignition timing without voiding my warranty; and repairs on the Inspire are far less difficult. .
If you make an adjustment on timing of your vehicle and it causes an issue it most certainly wouldn't be covered. The inspire is the same situation. Any change you make that can somehow be traced to a future issue (lets say your arm just falls off during flight one day) your fault or not, you touched it so it may have been your fault and they do not want to cover that. I do not see how you can not support this.

Reactions: Kilrah
So just fly your inspires and if it vibrates to pieces or the arms move that much the metal nuts damage the joining sections then just return it for a free warranty repair as long as you have not removed or altered it in a any way.

Reactions: Mazz and Kilrah
Rob I cannot scansion what you did as a user. That is not what DJI recommends. I am sorry but as a DJI employee I cannot respond to your request.

Thanks Ed, I understand.

In my case I made the repair out of desperation. The day after I got my I1 I reported the problem to DJI, but they had no solution for me. So, I contacted my reseller to arrange a return. My reseller found a post on a forum site about tightening the big bolt and, if I tried that but it failed, they would still honor a return despite the fact that it meant I had to remove the warranty-void sticker. After that failed, my reseller said they wanted to wait for DJI to respond to my trouble ticket. The problem was that DJI wasn’t responding. I created the slo-mo video strictly for DJI’s private viewing to help move this along, but still no response. So, out of desperation, I fixed the aircraft myself.

Weeks later DJI acknowledged that I had a problem and I could send the unit in for repair. I sent details of the repair I performed and asked if they still thought I should send it in (it works perfectly now), and would the repair be under warranty. I am still waiting for an answer.

My post here was a desperate attempt to get some feedback from someone who knows the approved repair.

Reactions: Bahamasky
Rob Suggs, can you please make a video of how your corrected it?
Please, man.

What we need as per my original post is to know a free play limit on the arms. Either by us users posting some data or Dji giving us some figures to help us. For people to say I have some movement is not very accurate as this could mean anything.

If, my company realeases a gun (I have a gunstore) or any defective accy and huge amount of clients are concerned about this or that and I don´t give the propper answer and respect to my clients, my company breaks in no more than 6 months. That´s the way things works here on the third world.

Just my 2 cents (after WEEKS waiting for a decent response directly from DJI).

The difference is how unique is your product and how much demand is there for it. Inspire one, pretty unique. Random gun like most others (don't get me wrong, I carry) not super unique. People are willing to deal with problems for stuff like this to be on he edge of the tech. Some don't know what they get themselves into and... Well you see.

I managed to get rid of the slack in the arms without breaking the warranty stickers.
I basically used the warranty sticker as a 'hinge', reinforced it with some electrical tape and opened the T section like a 'book'.

A lot less slop now and still moves freely. Test hover was fine however mine only vibrated on the odd occasion (possibly due to gusty conditions)

Reactions: Wiseandi
Ed or Bladestrike - can you please confirm that new Inspires coming off the production line have had this problem addressed? I know you said that DJI has an in house fix, but I was curious to know if anything has been changed manufacturing wise.

Thanks again for all your help and hard work.

Rob Suggs, can you please make a video of how your corrected it?
Please, man.
I don't have a video, but I posted instruction of what I did on page 2 of this thread. However, like DJI says, don't do this, you will mess it up ;)

If you do this, keep in mind that the goal is not to eliminate all play in the joint, the goal is to increase the resonate frequency of the arms so that it is no longer a multiple of the normal prop rotation frequency. You could probably fix the problem by introducing more slop rather than less, but I never tried this.

In your case it sounds like you are on the edge--vibration some times but not all. Try a small adjustment first. And...welcome to the no-more-warranty club.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eliran
I just test my bird and no more vibration. I used two strips instead of three. The arms spin freely and I have no play. Is this ok once the arms spin freely?

Ed or Bladestrike - can you please confirm that new Inspires coming off the production line have had this problem addressed? I know you said that DJI has an in house fix, but I was curious to know if anything has been changed manufacturing wise.

Thanks again for all your help and hard work.

It is my understanding that it has been addressed. I discussed this when I was in LA last week. They have many of the new shims available for repairs. I believe that the concern over making this a DIY solution is that the arms are made too tight and that will cause premature failure of the worm drive. The repair is simple enough but you have to perform additional steps to make sure there is no binding. Maybe in time. I don't know and do not make those decisions. I have seen the service video and it looks like it was intended for a user solution.

Reactions: FASTFJR
It is my understanding that it has been addressed. I discussed this when I was in LA last week. They have many of the new shims available for repairs. I believe that the concern over making this a DIY solution is that the arms are made too tight and that will cause premature failure of the worm drive. The repair is simple enough but you have to perform additional steps to make sure there is no binding. Maybe in time. I don't know and do not make those decisions. I have seen the service video and it looks like it was intended for a user solution.

Thanks Ed. Is there anything we should look for as far as s/n, build date etc or any indication on the box that would tell us if it was one produced after the correction was made?

Ok, see how much the props are out when you get it. If you have the rod you can balance the props on the rim of a glass to to give you an idea what they are like. Mine all needed balancing, 1 was way out. I use the du-bro

Also how much free play do you have in the arm joint, possible to upload a video of both sides?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido