Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Max Distance = 500M??

Well... What it says, when on it enables distance limit which you can then set up to 500m.

No. When you turn distance limit on another box appears. Well at least unless there's a bug in the app and it doesn't anymore, I haven't tried on the latest version as I keep it off anyway.

No. When you turn distance limit on another box appears. Well at least unless there's a bug in the app and it doesn't anymore, I haven't tried on the latest version as I keep it off anyway.

Latest version on iPhone at least doesn't show input box on toggle select, but yeah, keeping it off anyway.

Thanks guys

In my app with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro, I only have a box to select between 20m and 500m on distance, just like on altitude. Am I missing something? I can't fly past that limit.

I did, yes.

But what the is the "Maximum Distance" toggle for and what does it do?
I don't get limited unless I toggle the max distance to "on" Never checked to see if there was a max distance setting there but, if you can toggle that off, no need to set it past what they might consider a safe line of sight?

Just caught this. Like with any INTRODUCTION to a feature....is a 500m restriction going to be implemented fully....with NO switch..:) If people keep fricking it up for all of us we may be flying these rigs with a tether line in a circle...remember the Cox .049 planes..I had three of them and crashed them all...:)

I have iPads and the toggle is there, make sure it's turned off if you feel confident, I kind of like eyeballing where I'm flying after destroying a $1,700.00 gimbal.

You do realise that its against the rules to fly out of sight dont you? I would think 500 metres would be the maximum you would be able to see your drone.
Please remember this is an international forum and not everybody resides in Australia!
The 500m VLOS restriction is not enforced in all countries/jurisdictions.

Reactions: Meta4
Please remember this is an international forum and not everybody resides in Australia!
The 500m VLOS restriction is not enforced in all countries/jurisdictions.
I understand but at least you know whats to come though when you do get the same rules. It is strict here and it will no doubt get stricter there as well in the future. Its only going to take an accident to make things happen.

You do realise that its against the rules to fly out of sight dont you? I would think 500 metres would be the maximum you would be able to see your drone.

I don't have the eyes I had was I was younger but I can see my bird well beyond 500m. The problem is not so much keeping it within eyesight as it is reacquiring if you take your eyes off it. At about 500m I can reacquire pretty well but beyond 500m it gets a lot harder to reacquire. Of course, the nature of the sky and/or background can make a huge difference in your ability to see and particularly reacquire.

Brian

I don't have the eyes I had was I was younger but I can see my bird well beyond 500m. The problem is not so much keeping it within eyesight as it is reacquiring if you take your eyes off it. At about 500m I can reacquire pretty well but beyond 500m it gets a lot harder to reacquire. Of course, the nature of the sky and/or background can make a huge difference in your ability to see and particularly reacquire.

Brian
I think its more to do with filming. I only fly mine for the camera footage and here, we have to keep the drone in sight at all times. I don't mind it now. The rules are strict in Australia and they make sense if one is filming. When I first got my P3 I used to send it out across the skies but with the I1 i like to know where it is and see what Im filming. I recently got the 14-42 lens and instead of going in close, I need to pull right out. It makes it safer when flying around buildings. I love it.

I understand but at least you know whats to come though when you do get the same rules. It is strict here and it will no doubt get stricter there as well in the future. Its only going to take an accident to make things happen.
Not necessarily - there are moves being discussed presently between EASA and other national Aviation Authorities in Europe for instance to actually relax certain restrictions for specific classes.
These classes themselves are being looked at with a difference in MTOM shifting from their current definitions.
Additionally some operators can be granted BVLOS permissions.
I am all for flying safely (I have PFAW and operate commercially under permission from the CAA) but also it should be kept in mind that not all countries have RPAS rules/laws in place and it may remain that way.
Yes Australia has CASA and the UK has the CAA which have been proactive in already operating to EASA 147 standards but there is still a long way to go and the Ministry of Transport are mooting 2020 before there is even a European agreed standard between all member states.
Even then, there will never be a 'Worldwide' RPAS standard since ICAO are not going to reside over this.
Just sayin........

I did, yes.

But what the is the "Maximum Distance" toggle for and what does it do?

Sorry for being such a null but when I set the max distance of 400m on the simulator(practising before flying) and reach that limit, a voice tells me I have reached my max distance and when I look at drone on map it has turned round and is facing home. What I need to know is does this happen for real and if so what is the difference between reaching max distance limit (if indeed the drone turns itself around and faces home) and DL(direct line)where the purpose is to have the drone face home.
thanks everyone

So in my situation the toggle turns the set field off, inversely if on; I can only set it to 500m!
Somebody please tell me what I'm missing here.
IMG_0012.PNG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide