Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Max Distance = 500M??

I agree that the limit on the bird is only 500m when it is activated. What I don't get is that on my P4 the limit can go as high as 1500 within the settings. I like that comfort in that I really never want to fly even that far but is nice to have like a 800m limit and never have an issue with dropping signal. I wonder why DJI upped the limit for the P4 and have not updated the I1 to allow the same feature?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but at 500 meters how in the hell can you keep the UAV in line of sight?

For the most part, I would agree with you, especially in urban areas. There are times out in the rural areas you simply can't get there. Even in those cases, I have a spotter with me to use binoculars or my spotting scope. While there is no chance or harming anyone, I want to keep an eye as I have had drones that simply fail and having some idea where they are at least give me a shot at recovery. I was mainly comparing the Inspire "limit of 500" to the Phantom limit of "1500" and wondering why DJI decided on those limits.

BTW, On my DJI Go (for the I1) and DJI Go 4 app (for the P4P) on both iOS and Android you can disable this maximum distance thing. See photo attached. I think someone else here mentioned that also. In the Map Pilot app for making maps they recommend that this setting be turned off. In any case, the signal strength is more of a distance limit for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
BTW, On my DJI Go (for the I1) and DJI Go 4 app (for the P4P) on both iOS and Android you can disable this maximum distance thing. See photo attached. I think someone else here mentioned that also. In the Map Pilot app for making maps they recommend that this setting be turned off. In any case, the signal strength is more of a distance limit for me.

Your exactly right...every app allows you to turn it off anyway so you are really never "limited" to begin with. I like the limiter for a couple reasons....
1. reminds me the distance that I wanted to stay
2. actually turns the birds back toward home when it hits your preset limit.

In all reality, there are no limits but I stay on the safe side as it would kill me to know that I ever hurt anyone (drone out of control) when I could have played it safer. In Urban areas you can normally find a launch point close enough then do the rest of video in post. Beyond that the FAA requires line of sight, the safety of people the and economic loss of a drone is enough for me to stay in distance. When you have thousands invested in one drone you tend to think about that as you are flying!

Absolutely. I also found something interesting to help recover control when it is beyond view. Intelligent Flight Control is described on Page 61 of the Inspire manual. Assuming you have activated Multiple Flight Mode, flip the Mode switch to F, and then pulling back on the left stick initiates Home Lock and the aircraft flies back toward home regardless of its current orientation.
So, if I understand this correctly, if I ever lose line of sight I can fly it towards home, and then switch back to regular P mode when I reacquire a visual.
I am going to try this tomorrow.

Reactions: MrLaw10
I see the mode you mentioned on Pg 61 but sadly there is not much about how to use it (not uncommon in this manual). I will be delighted to hear what you learn. This forum for me has been ever so helpful in that sense. See attached from Manual

Attachments

• Flight Mode on Inspire.jpg
    Flight Mode on Inspire.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 9
Absolutely. I also found something interesting to help recover control when it is beyond view. Intelligent Flight Control is described on Page 61 of the Inspire manual. Assuming you have activated Multiple Flight Mode, flip the Mode switch to F, and then pulling back on the left stick initiates Home Lock and the aircraft flies back toward home regardless of its current orientation.
So, if I understand this correctly, if I ever lose line of sight I can fly it towards home, and then switch back to regular P mode when I reacquire a visual.

I am sure you have had this happen but in just in case...I had my son fly the bird behind my building at the farm and it lost sight (of course) and went into RTH mode after losing signal for 3 seconds (as mentioned in the manual) I let it fly home even though you can retake control when it gets in line of sight again. It was amazing to watch the bird slowly but sure make its way back and land within a few feet of take off point. This was on my Phantom 4 but the I1 RAW I have has the same capacity.

This leads to the question about the F Mode and Intelligent flight modes...are they something you "preprogram" like the height in the RTH or what good are they if you have lost signal?

It is my understanding that the RTH height will apply if RTH is available, and it is supposed to be available in both P and F mode. In A mode GPS is not available, so RTH is not available; it does an auto-land at its current location (using the on board barometer) if you press the RTH button, if there is signal loss, or if there is a low battery. But, I intend to test all of this.

Another thing I am testing out is the screen indications in F mode. According to the manual there are some buried settings (the IOC settings menu) that appear in F mode. See attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.44.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.44.41 PM.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.39.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.39.51 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.44.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.44.01 PM.png
    25 KB · Views: 8
I have been testing F mode. There are many more roadblocks than the manual suggests.

1. You have to enable multiple flight modes. This is on the Main Controller Settings scree>Basic settings (see attached picture).
2. You have to move the selector switch to F (see attached picture).
3. On the Camera Screen there will be a new icon on the left, looks like a top down view of the aircraft. (see attached picture). Choose that.
4. This brings up a legal roadblock (see attached picture).
4. Next screen is a submenu with the available Intelligent Flight modes. (see attached picture). Choose one.
5. If you are trying this out initially on the ground with the aircraft off (a most sane thing to do) you will get a Warning that most assuredly is a machine translation of the original Chinese text. What it is warning you is that you must have the aircraft on and in the air to set these modes; a most insane thing to require.

Oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2119.JPG
    IMG_2119.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
I have been testing F mode. There are many more roadblocks than the manual suggests.

1. You have to enable multiple flight modes. This is on the Main Controller Settings scree>Basic settings (see attached picture).
2. You have to move the selector switch to F (see attached picture).
3. On the Camera Screen there will be a new icon on the left, looks like a top down view of the aircraft. (see attached picture). Choose that.
4. This brings up a legal roadblock (see attached picture).
4. Next screen is a submenu with the available Intelligent Flight modes. (see attached picture). Choose one.
5. If you are trying this out initially on the ground with the aircraft off (a most sane thing to do) you will get a Warning that most assuredly is a machine translation of the original Chinese text. What it is warning you is that you must have the aircraft on and in the air to set these modes; a most insane thing to require.

Oh well.

There are several places where these little "sign off" screens pop up. The first example is when you want to fly over the 125 m altitude and wham there it comes. I have seen other videos where you have to sign off if you are in RTH and cancel it. Anyway, this is yet another of a book of things I am going to create in terms of a personal use manual far and above the DJI version of the manual. I have already downloaded AZ Recorder for videos of things that I find happening but I am also keenly aware that too many apps running and the tablet might crash....bad enough to have the app crash (as I had happened)! I am thankful for the fact that just being in FPV and watching where I go is just so stinking amazing that it motivates me to do the work that DJI should have done in the first place. Let's face it making manuals is never valued enough by the manufacturers or companies like I service in business coaching/consulting. But when they are right...they are invaluable.

Speaking of which, I was watching some videos yesterday on an app called "Autopilot" and another called Litchi. Seems Litchi is the "easy to use" ap while the details but the higher learning curve of Autopilot delivers more controls to the operator. Sure glad I am retired...LOL

I have Litchi. For a single controller it is superior to DJI Go. For a dual controller it is supposed to operate in slave mode, but it can't set up the slave the way DJI Go can. Litchi support answers emails right away, and the menu text doesn't read as if written by someone with only ESN skills. That said, I find the name hard to pronounce.

I have Litchi. For a single controller it is superior to DJI Go. For a dual controller it is supposed to operate in slave mode, but it can't set up the slave the way DJI Go can. Litchi support answers emails right away, and the menu text doesn't read as if written by someone with only ESN skills. That said, I find the name hard to pronounce.

Good to know I will download it and install it today!

Does "pulling back on the left stick" when the aircraft is out of signal make anyone but me nervous? Hopefully you are not over water and simply end up landing.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla