Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Modified Android Pilot App with 5000M Max Altitude

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I just joined this forum a couple days ago and waiting to get my inspire on friday. I decided to mess with the DJI Pilot App using Android Studio and found where I could modify the max altitude settings. I changed it from 500M to 5000M. I don't have my drone yet to test but it looks like it's working on the app. If anyone would like to try out the app to verify with a screenshot that'd be awesome. I've uploaded it publicly to my google drive to share. Excited to be a part of the gang, fly safe! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-BWTO1L-4kUbkc4ZUVHZWFZcTg/view?usp=sharing

Much Range, Very Altitude - Dogemaster

Hey Everyone

I just joined this forum a couple days ago and waiting to get my inspire on friday. I decided to mess with the DJI Pilot App using Android Studio and found where I could modify the max altitude settings. I changed it from 500M to 5000M. I don't have my drone yet to test but it looks like it's working on the app. If anyone would like to try out the app to verify with a screenshot that'd be awesome. I've uploaded it publicly to my google drive to share. Excited to be a part of the gang, fly safe! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-BWTO1L-4kUbkc4ZUVHZWFZcTg/view?usp=sharing

Much Range, Very Altitude - Dogemaster
That's impressive you are smart enough to figure that out,but probably not a good idea to mess with the max altitude settings..
Just because you can work your way around these limitations doesn't mean you should. ..
most people imo can handle not having restrictions, but some can't and that's why they need to limit max elevation. .
It's just too dangerous to have multirotors flying in the same air space as maned aircraft ..I personally don't have an issue with this limitation. ..
although there are some mountains and cliffs i'd like to fly around, that are higher than 500 meters,but if that helps avoid a possible accident then I'm all for it..
also don't think for a second that the athorities don't watch what's going on in these forums. .

That's impressive you are smart enough to figure that out,but probably not a good idea to mess with the max altitude settings..
Just because you can work your way around these limitations doesn't mean you should. ..
most people imo can handle not having restrictions, but some can't and that's why they need to limit max elevation. .
It's just too dangerous to have multirotors flying in the same air space as maned aircraft ..I personally don't have an issue with this limitation. ..
although there are some mountains and cliffs i'd like to fly around, that are higher than 500 meters,but if that helps avoid a possible accident then I'm all for it..
also don't think for a second that the athorities don't watch what's going on in these forums. .

Hey Turbodronepilot, thanks for the reply. I completely agree with you. There are a lot of reasons not to fly at a higher altitude whether it be for safety reasons or laws restricting it in your country, but I do think that people should have the freedom to fly however they like and how they choose to fly is their own responsibility, just like your car has the ability to go over the speed limits. I myself will probably rarely ever go above 500M. I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law in areas where it's restricted, I'm sure there are places where flying above 500M is perfectly safe and Legal.

Hey Turbodronepilot, thanks for the reply. I completely agree with you. There are a lot of reasons not to fly at a higher altitude whether it be for safety reasons or laws restricting it in your country, but I do think that people should have the freedom to fly however they like when they invest this kind of money into a Drone. I myself will probably rarely ever go above 500M. I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law in areas where it's restricted, I'm sure there are places where flying above 500M is perfectly safe and Legal.

I totally agree. .I'm pro choice. .if it werent for the idiots who want to chase jets or fly around airports we wouldn't need these restictions..
I was blown away that someone would actually be that dumb. .

Reactions: Dogemaster
This would be interesting, because I'm goin to the French Alps this summer and I want to film those mountains.Will stay about 80 mtrs above groundlevel, but go up as high as iI can, following the mountain.So I guess that going up 500 mtrs above starting point is no problem anymore if your modification works.

I totally agree. .I'm pro choice. .if it werent for the idiots who want to chase jets or fly around airports we wouldn't need these restictions..
I was blown away that someone would actually be that dumb. .

Same with the white house guy..I thought there were already flight restrictions in place .. you wouldn't think anyone would be that dumb to fly over the white house. ..

This would be interesting, because I'm goin to the French Alps this summer and I want to film those mountains.Will stay about 80 mtrs above groundlevel, but go up as high as iI can, following the mountain.So I guess that going up 500 mtrs above starting point is no problem anymore if your modification works.

Hey Huppe,

That sounds like a lot of fun, I myself want to take this thing to New Zealand this year sometime. I'll definitely be testing it out as soon as my inspire gets here and post screenshots at 501 meters!

Hey Huppe,

That sounds like a lot of fun, I myself want to take this thing to New Zealand this year sometime. I'll definitely be testing it out as soon as my inspire gets here and post screenshots at 501 meters!

Normally I never go higher than 300 mtrs.Doesn't make sense for me.I want this hobby going on with no restrictions or whatever.You can drive a Ferrari,but still have to stay under the speedlimit.So at least try to fly safe.
So I will keep an eye on this thread and hope to see your 501 soon!

Huppe

Beware in France as the laws are very strict. You need a license and insurance (FFAM) and you also need to know where you can and can't fly. Please look into it before you go so that you don't get arrested. That'll cause problems for everyone trying to fly not just you.

There are also times you cannot fly, times you can't use GPS. .. needs major research.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Huppe,

Just to help you out once you are legally allowed to fly in France:

First you MUST go to http://www.aip-drones.fr/carte/aip-drones/ which will show you an interactive map of the places where it is not allowed to fly, and where you are, and up to what altitude. In any case, unless you have a license and "homolgation" for S3, plus permission from the prefecture etc. (there is currently no homolgation for the Inspire 1 - it's being worked on) your maximum altitude is 150m from where you took off.
Then, I just learned that national parks are no fly zones under 1500m, which means... you can't fly because your max altitude is 150m

Then, you MUST head over to http://www.solarhobby.net/ which will use your computer / tablet / phone's location to give you up to date info on EM and X-ray radiation which may hinder comms between you and your Inspire 1. You are not allowed to fly if these are bad, and they must be checked regularly in between flights as the data is updated every 15 minutes.

You must not fly over any roads, houses, people. There must be no-one within 50m of you flying.

However.... If you are flying, and someone walks up to you, you must inform them that you are flying and they must keep their eyes on your quadcopter, so as to avoid any injury.

Once you've figured all that out and you still want to fly, look out for me, because I live in the French Alps! I'm still learning about all this stuff...

GOOD LUCK ;)

Huppe

Beware in France as the laws are very strict. You need a license and insurance (FFAM) and you also need to know where you can and can't fly. Please look into it before you go so that you don't get arrested. That'll cause problems for everyone trying to fly not just you.

There are also times you cannot fly, times you can't use GPS. .. needs major research.
Thanks Roastie
I will definitly check on this.Trying to give a positive image on our hobby is one of the things I have always on my mind.I always make time if people are interested in what I'm doing.There are more then enough example's of what not to do with a copter.
I always ask for permission if I make a video of a building or whatever.
So thanks for your advice,I will check this out

Last edited:
I'm always up for a scientific experiment...

Testing: DJI-Pilot-5000.apk

Result: The DJI Inspire 1 still limited to roughly 500m AGL altitude. A result of this experiment which needs further testing, is the assertion that the limit is stored in the firmware and changing this value in the app does not change the value of the aircraft if above the programmed limit.

Equipment:
1. DJI Inspire 1
2. Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 Tablet

Procedure:
1. Install modified software after uninstalling existing DJI Pilot app, necessary because of conflicting signing certificates.
2. Power up remote, aircraft, and then started the application
3. Changed the value of the Maximum altitude to 5000m
4. Fly above 1700 ft and take a screen shot.

Explanation: I was able to change the value to 5000m in the application. However, upon checking the limit again, the value had reset itself to 500. I tried again to make sure I did not improperly enter or "accept" the value only to find the same result. I tried changing to 400m which was successful when I checked if that was still the limit. I discontinued the experiment at this point because I was unable to complete step 3 of the Procedure.

Comments: The modder made a good attempt, and we are closer to finding a solution.

Hey Huppe,

Hey Dogemaster, you don't need to my friend, I already have one in New Zealand. Best place for filming here IMO is the Westcoast of the South Island. See the video below that I made just using a Phantom 2 and Gopro 4 at Christmas.

I'm always up for a scientific experiment...

Testing: DJI-Pilot-5000.apk

Result: The DJI Inspire 1 still limited to roughly 500m AGL altitude. A result of this experiment which needs further testing, is the assertion that the limit is stored in the firmware and changing this value in the app does not change the value of the aircraft if above the programmed limit.

Equipment:
1. DJI Inspire 1
2. Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 Tablet

Procedure:
1. Install modified software after uninstalling existing DJI Pilot app, necessary because of conflicting signing certificates.
2. Power up remote, aircraft, and then started the application
3. Changed the value of the Maximum altitude to 5000m
4. Fly above 1700 ft and take a screen shot.

Explanation: I was able to change the value to 5000m in the application. However, upon checking the limit again, the value had reset itself to 500. I tried again to make sure I did not improperly enter or "accept" the value only to find the same result. I tried changing to 400m which was successful when I checked if that was still the limit. I discontinued the experiment at this point because I was unable to complete step 3 of the Procedure.

Comments: The modder made a good attempt, and we are closer to finding a solution.
hope there is an update soon.

Comments: The modder made a good attempt, and we are closer to finding a solution.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for testing it out! Unfortunately there's only so much I can do without being able to trial and error with the drone myself, but i'm hoping that'll change by friday. Knowing that just changing the value range does help narrow it down. I did see some other potential places in the app where there were height rules/variables. Hopefully we can get this figured out soon, if anyone wants to help out just download apktool to decompile the app (command on terminal is: apktool -d DJI-pilot.apk) and then use "android studio" to modify it. Once you modify you just save and rebuild the app by typing: apktool -b DJI-pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo