Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Motor Mount Reinforcement Braces

Would you be willing to purchase a set with hardware?

• Yes

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
So I have been snooping around and I think I may go for a slightly less dense and extremely durable material. It is Carbon Fiber Filled Polycarbonate. Slightly more expensive than the PETG I was wanting to use as well as the ABS, BUTTTT its material properties seem very fitting for this. I just ordered some and it will be in later this weekend or beginning of next week.

CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber PC 3D Printing Filament

If you are interested the design will be finalize by the time this gets in and can ship some out if anyone would like. If interested please message me. The parts will include hardware for a total of 4 sets for 100 shipped.

Reactions: Paul Nordin
So I had another next day shoot to get to in Pittsburgh but back now and happen to clean up some of the braces. I feel the design is sufficient and ready to rock and roll! :) Some minor clean on this part is needed yet but I feel it gets the point across.

Weight with hardware will be measured tomorrow my dog decided to jump on my scale.

Regards,
Dustin
410a8ef95157eef43f53941adc092630.jpg
321b9bdb5d1f02eef09bef97271c5fff.jpg
00b6ddfa4da965eddbe67df9e0116ce5.jpg
f506826c4a58e35b586077d3820e63e7.jpg

2304526f13dc047d688cf2d80af300c5.jpg

Last edited:
We have flown our I2 intensely for 1 year now in often heavy conditions. Extreme cold, high winds, its generally had a really really hard time.This is a production mistake and not a design failure IMO. Properly bonded joints are extremely strong. The problem is more likely that some examples have not been bonded 100% correctly rendering them susceptible to fatigue.
In reality it's probably only a small percentage effected, the crap is you don't know if its yours or not.

We have flown our I2 intensely for 1 year now in often heavy conditions. Extreme cold, high winds, its generally had a really really hard time.This is a production mistake and not a design failure IMO. Properly bonded joints are extremely strong. The problem is more likely that some examples have not been bonded 100% correctly rendering them susceptible to fatigue.
In reality it's probably only a small percentage effected, the crap is you don't know if its yours or not.

You're correct on that. My craft has 68 hrs on it with roughly 40 of them being in 28-35 mph gusting winds at 400-500 ft agl (roughly 1500-1600ft msl) and it wasn't until after that trip I actually had usable braces designed. I do think that single piece carbon props are a good direction to avoid any prop vibrations and unnecessary oscillations from the stock props and prop locks.

But it is terrible that we have to play the lottery on whether or not "your" particular Inspire 2 is completely rid of any bondage issues.

You're correct on that. My craft has 68 hrs on it with roughly 40 of them being in 28-35 mph gusting winds at 400-500 ft agl (roughly 1500-1600ft msl) and it wasn't until after that trip I actually had usable braces designed. I do think that single piece carbon props are a good direction to avoid any prop vibrations and unnecessary oscillations from the stock props and prop locks.

But it is terrible that we have to play the lottery on whether or not "your" particular Inspire 2 is completely rid of any bondage issues.

I am with you 100% on this. That is why I bought the Drone Depot braces. Simple and IMHO effective design which provides me with piece of mind that the motor mount will stay on even if the adhesive bond fails, so I do not need to worry anymore if my I2 is among the 0.01% of DJI admitted failure rate of this joint.
There are too many, at this point unanswered questions and 'little secrets' in the other design discussed intensively on this forum. Purely from my observation and only based on viewing of the short teaser video I have my own reservations about effectivness of that design. But without knowing the details and method of attachement of the end pieces to the motor mount and the center clamp to the CF tube and the materials selected and the uncertainity if the whole thing actually becomes a reality one day or not, I decided to refrain from commenting untill the product is finalized. But your post prompted me to chime in again....
As for myself and I said above, I have already Drone Depot braces on my I2 and fly worry free since then. But to each his own.

Last edited:
I am with you 100% on this. That is why I bought the Drone Depot braces. Simple and IMHO effective design which provides me with piece of mind that the motor mount will stay on even if the adhesive bond fails, so I do not need to worry anymore if my I2 is among the 0.01% of DJI admitted failure rate of this joint.
There are too many, at this point unanswered questions and 'little secrets' in the other design discussed intensively on this forum. Purely from my observation and only based on viewing of the short teaser video I have my own reservations about effectivness of that design. But without knowing the details and method of attachement of the end pieces to the motor mount and the center clamp to the CF tube and the materials selected and the uncertainity if the whole thing actually becomes a reality one day or not, I decided to refrain from commenting untill the product is finalized. But your post prompted me to chime in again....
As for myself I have already installed Drone Depot braces on my I2 and fly worry free since then. But to each his own.

As I have stated in this thread and the others, I am here merely to keep people in the air. I am not asking for much profit from the work I have done with the small amount of 3d printed braces I am selling. Pretty much pays for the electric to run my 3D printer and a small contribution to all the hours I have involved in the project. :)

But yes I am trying to work with The other guy now to head his design in the right direction. I too see flaws that are not what he is promoting. Not saying he is a bad guy or anything but he really needs to understand his design better before promoting it. Which is why I am offering assistance to him.

The braces you bought are wonderful solutions. I can't compete my design with an aluminum CNC'd part. I will say though I am still not a true fan of just simply screwing to the motor mount. Its a short lever arm to how it holds it (and in turn a lowish holding force from the clamp) and the clamp seems short. I am a firm believer in this "Splint" brace design I have made. Instead of treating the carbon tube and motor mount as two entirely different parts like the designs I have seen, this brace really "joins" them to a single component, with a large surface area (more friction) and fastening points do not rely on concentrated points of contact, such as the screws on the motor mount with the DD mount. Even though I still mount to those screws, just for the sake of them being there.

Again I think the CNC parts from DD are still great, but with me not wanting to spend 175 to just test against my design, I will stick with my cheaper braces that I have a lot of confidence in. XD

As I have stated in this thread and the others, I am here merely to keep people in the air. I am not asking for much profit from the work I have done with the small amount of 3d printed braces I am selling. Pretty much pays for the electric to run my 3D printer and a small contribution to all the hours I have involved in the project. :)

But yes I am trying to work with The other guy now to head his design in the right direction. I too see flaws that are not what he is promoting. Not saying he is a bad guy or anything but he really needs to understand his design better before promoting it. Which is why I am offering assistance to him.

The braces you bought are wonderful solutions. I can't compete my design with an aluminum CNC'd part. I will say though I am still not a true fan of just simply screwing to the motor mount. Its a short lever arm to how it holds it (and in turn a lowish holding force from the clamp) and the clamp seems short. I am a firm believer in this "Splint" brace design I have made. Instead of treating the carbon tube and motor mount as two entirely different parts like the designs I have seen, this brace really "joins" them to a single component, with a large surface area (more friction) and fastening points do not rely on concentrated points of contact, such as the screws on the motor mount with the DD mount. Even though I still mount to those screws, just for the sake of them being there.

Again I think the CNC parts from DD are still great, but with me not wanting to spend 175 to just test against my design, I will stick with my cheaper braces that I have a lot of confidence in. XD
This is again purely my opininion. The Drone Depot braces are attached to the metal motor mount with two long screws and there are nice little collars on the braces in the entry point into the existing screw holes, so the they go into the holes nice and snug and through this they also expand marginally the contact area between the brackets and the motor mount and the connection is very solid and reasuring. Again IMHO there is enough metal body in the motor mount where the screws go. The two half moons bracing the CF tube are solid design too. As I said, I am not bagging anyone elses design and and I am not promoting someone elses design either. I am purely and honestly expressing my opinion based on actually owning something concrete and posting assumption on other design based on only viewing the teaser video. As for your 3D printed collars, hard to know without proper testing how strong they are but they look to me solid enough to hold the two components together in case of adhesive bond failure. So I am pretty sure they will do the job too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fickert
This is again purely my opininion. The Frone Depot braces are attached to the metal motor mount with two long screws and there are nice little collars in the entry point into the existing screw holes expanding marginally the contact area between the brackets and the motor mount. There is enough metal body in the motor mount where the screws go. The two half moons bracing the CF tube are solid design too. As I said, I am not bagging anyone elses design and and I am not promoting someone elses dedign. I am just freely expressing my opinion based on actually owning something and posting assumption based on only viewing the teaser video. As for your 3D printed collars, hard to know without proper testing how strong they are but they look to me solid enough to hold the two components together in case of adhesive bond failure. So I am pretty sure they will do the job too.

Sorry its hard to describe the differences without them seeming like "bashing". But that was the intent to do a different design, also for the fact of using a polymer vs CNC aluminum which makes a good difference. For instance a 3d printed part the same design as the DD braces wouldn't last at all, then when I ventured to a different design, the flaws and positive design cues began to show in both.

Nice, but if you crash into someone- or something... any modifications will make this your fault, weather they caused the crash or not. this failure is extremely rare.

Nice, but if you crash into someone- or something... any modifications will make this your fault, weather they caused the crash or not. this failure is extremely rare.
And what would make you to say this? Any serious crash is thoroughly investigated to establish precisely and accurately the cause of that crash, so recommendations could be made to prevent such crash in the future. Why would you think that investigators would come to a conclusion that these brackets caused or contributed to that hypothetical crash if you would hit something or somebody?

Last edited:
And what would make you to say this? Any serious crash is thoroughly investigated to establish precisely and accurately the cause of that crash, so recommendations could be made to prevent such crash in the future. Why would you think that investigators would come to a conclusion that these brackets caused or contributed to that hypothetical crash if you would hit something or somebody?

If it’s not obvious, adding a modification, especially a home made modification that is not approved by the manufacturer is you acknowledging the problem. This would make YOU liable in case of a crash. Do I really have to explain this?

This is again purely my opininion. The Drone Depot braces are attached to the metal motor mount with two long screws and there are nice little collars on the braces in the entry point into the existing screw holes, so the they go into the holes nice and snug and through this they also expand marginally the contact area between the brackets and the motor mount and the connection is very solid and reasuring. Again IMHO there is enough metal body in the motor mount where the screws go. The two half moons bracing the CF tube are solid design too. As I said, I am not bagging anyone elses design and and I am not promoting someone elses design either. I am purely and honestly expressing my opinion based on actually owning something concrete and posting assumption on other design based on only viewing the teaser video. As for your 3D printed collars, hard to know without proper testing how strong they are but they look to me solid enough to hold the two components together in case of adhesive bond failure. So I am pretty sure they will do the job too.

What he said!

So are you saying if you do not use any brackets at all and crash into someone or somebody then you are not liable? I am not following your logic. But since I fly under the umbrella of a commercial policy Im not really concerned. But I try real hard not to crash into anyone or anything.

I don’t know. This is what I was told. I’m licensed and fully insured as well. I do like the design of the metal braces- but at 200.00. The price seems very high

Sorry guys I have been away for a few days work really had me crunching for free time.

If you crash and you have drone insurance you are not going to experience someone coming to check out your drone know right away that you were using aftermarket braces. They probably won't even care even if you provide flight logs and prove it was merely user error. I already did one claim on my solo and they just sent the funds to me no questions asked.

Ignoring that fact, I can't see how this would be an issue or a testament to potentially losing warranty (Which I truly don't see how that could be, no drilling, no tampering, nothing to the frame. Literally the same as grab handles) over having a motor mount fail. Even worse, potentially falling and injuring someone???

Oh but we have insurance for that so were fine. No skin off my back if I hurt someone with my drone because due to a failure I could greatly remedy; And oh boy that wonderful DJI customer service I can't afford to lose that. (Complete sarcasm)

No way, if someone got injured due to me flying especially when it was a design flaw you bet I will do everything I can to avoid this possibility. Thus I designed these braces for it. To each their own, but IMO this is well worth it, no persons injury is worth my inspire 2. As well as the law suit that would follow.

Just my two cents.

If it’s not obvious, adding a modification, especially a home made modification that is not approved by the manufacturer is you acknowledging the problem. This would make YOU liable in case of a crash. Do I really have to explain this?
Your logic is hard to follow and to me, quite frankly it is not obvious at all and yes, you do need to explain it to us if you are so sure about your statement. On the other hand you can believe in whatever you choose to believe in. But you should never forget that a belief and fact could be two very different things..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanneStoc