Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need "Computer Whiz" to find hidden X5R files

Reaction score
We really NEED to have someone find the hidden SSD file folder of DNG files so we can do a quick transfer in the field of our raw files so we can continue flying and filming. Once we get the files then later in the edit room we can use the painfully slow DJI Cinelight app to extract them properly.

We know the file is there and I sure some computer science student can figure out a way for us to find the folder and transfer it.

Thx...jw

I don't think it's that simple. It looks like the SSD uses a proprietary format, and it seems likely that the files are encrypted.

So while it might be possible to crack this, I wouldn't build a business model or work flow around the assumption that it will be cracked.

Clearly it is a proprietary format and I'm not suggesting breaking into it nor cracking the inscription. All I want is to find the folder and transfer it to another drive to open later.

Seems to me a computer file is a computer file and there is likely a way to find it in order to move it quickly to another drive rather than the 40 plus hours it requires going through the Cinelight software.

Then use Cinelight when you're back in the edit room.

Seems like a reasonable request or wish.

Seems to me a computer file is a computer file
Yes, unless it's encrypted.

rather than the 40 plus hours it requires going through the Cinelight software.
This does not sound like a typical experience, and I suggest that you do research on that. My initial guess is that you might be transferring files via a USB 2.0 port, which might come close to taking that long.

But I don't think most Cinelight users are spending 40 minutes copying files off of their SSDs.

Yes, unless it's encrypted.

This does not sound like a typical experience, and I suggest that you do research on that. My initial guess is that you might be transferring files via a USB 2.0 port, which might come close to taking that long.

But I don't think most Cinelight users are spending 40 minutes copying files off of their SSDs.
Hi Intermurph,

It's certainly possible they're encrypted, but highly unlikely in my opinion, but since they are hidden we don't have a clue. In theory even if they are encrypted is it possible to move them from one drive to another if they can be found. I don't have a clue...way beyond my computer expertise or lack thereof.

I'm using USB 3 both on my 2014 2.6 GHZ I7 processor laptop and on my late 2014 27" iMac Retina 5K, 4GHZ I7 processor. The test I did on the laptop was transferring to a Lacie Rugged 7200 rpm drive and the other on my iMac to a 6 TB Thunderbolt raid. It was definitely faster on the iMac/TB raid system, which is no surprise, but it's also not the machine I carry to the field.

I'm just trying to find a better workflow than currently is available by floating this question out there. I know I'm not the only one frustrated by the inability to do a hard drive dump in the field. SSD's are expensive and if we can fly with 2 or 3 of them rather than 6 it's a major cost savings.

Thanks for your interest and comments. Much appreciated.

I ran out of SSD storage yesterday, but had a Windows laptop and simply transferred the files with DJI camera exporter. I actually transferred it through the computer to an external hard drive. It took almost 3hrs with USB3.0, but would have been faster if my computer hard drive were larger. Too bad there's no way to just copy a few files and then delete to get a little space back on the DJI SSD. I think the best course of action is to dump files off during spare time then format the SSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is encrypted on the SSD, that might explain why it takes forever to transfer or transcode the files using Cinelight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan