Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Needs advice from a photography guru !

Reaction score
I want to take photos like some of the scenes I've seen on this forum, so I need to get the exposure correct.

Some of the settings are confusing me ( easily confused !)

Lets say it's getting dark and I want to increase the exposure , if I rotate the right hand wheel on the remote it changes the EV setting. However, if I select the auto/manual tap mid bottom right it highlights shutter speed. If I then rotate the right wheel it changes the shutter speed. What should I be changing EV or shutter ?

The confusing thing is, if you select the right hand auto/manual tap you open up the ISO/Shutter/EV settings on the left. You can change those settings even though the Manual slider hasn't been selected to Manual, so should I leave it as it is or move the slider to Manual.

Drawer closed = full auto, EV compensation exposes more or less in the way it thinks it should
Drawer open but switch on auto = semi auto (force one of shutter/ISO, camera selects the other to reach the EV compensation you set)
Drawer open and switch on manual = You set both ISO and shutter speed.

Kilrah
when you say "Drawer" closed what do you mean by drawer?

Sorry if I am having a doh! moment.

Drawer closed = full auto, EV compensation exposes more or less in the way it thinks it should
Drawer open but switch on auto = semi auto (force one of shutter/ISO, camera selects the other to reach the EV compensation you set)
Drawer open and switch on manual = You set both ISO and shutter speed.

Thanks very much for the reply and sorry for being dumb, but I'm also not sure what you mean.

The best option is to take photo's in DNG.By this you can optimize everything with for example photoshop.
Changing shutterspeed will darken your picture wich is better then over exposure to light colors.
My advice it's better to take a photo a little more dark then too light.
And if you're in doubt take 2 or 3 photo with a slight correction on EV,so you can work with these 3 photo's and make it 1.
Practice a lot with your settings and if you don't like the photo simple remove it from your pc.
But transfer all photo's to your pc and work with them.
Good luck

If your expertise isn't in photography, it would probably be best to start using the auto settings and only dig into photographic settings if you are unhappy with the results.
Have you tried auto and was there a reason you were wanting to dabble with manual settings or you just assume you should fiddle with them?

If your expertise isn't in photography, it would probably be best to start using the auto settings and only dig into photographic settings if you are unhappy with the results.
Have you tried auto and was there a reason you were wanting to dabble with manual settings or you just assume you should fiddle with them?

Yes, I think perhaps I'll stick to Auto for the present.

Try using the auto exposure bracketing (AEB) option. Just hold down the picture button and it will open to give you options including AEB. It will take 3 or 5 pictures at the same time but with different exposures. For example with 3, it will under expose (darker picture) one; over-expose another (lighter picture) and take the third at what it thinks is the correct exposure. Depending on the software you use to process your pictures (I use Aperture with a plug-in) you can take the 3 or 5 pictures you took with the AEB option and merge them to create a high dynamic range (HDR) picture. I have attached an example I took recently with 3 bracketed shots2015-02-16-Snow-2.jpg

Try using the auto exposure bracketing (AEB) option. Just hold down the picture button and it will open to give you options including AEB. It will take 3 or 5 pictures at the same time but with different exposures. For example with 3, it will under expose (darker picture) one; over-expose another (lighter picture) and take the third at what it thinks is the correct exposure. Depending on the software you use to process your pictures (I use Aperture with a plug-in) you can take the 3 or 5 pictures you took with the AEB option and merge them to create a high dynamic range (HDR) picture. I have attached an example I took recently with 3 bracketed shotsView attachment 631
Great pic!

Try using the auto exposure bracketing (AEB) option. Just hold down the picture button and it will open to give you options including AEB. It will take 3 or 5 pictures at the same time but with different exposures. For example with 3, it will under expose (darker picture) one; over-expose another (lighter picture) and take the third at what it thinks is the correct exposure. Depending on the software you use to process your pictures (I use Aperture with a plug-in) you can take the 3 or 5 pictures you took with the AEB option and merge them to create a high dynamic range (HDR) picture. I have attached an example I took recently with 3 bracketed shotsView attachment 631

Yes I'll try that bracketing, I've got Lightroom don't know whether it will merge to create HDR

For now it requires Photoshop, from within Lightroom you select your photos, right-click, Edit in->merge to HDR in Photoshop.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry