Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Zenmuse Z3 Zoom Camera announced

reread what I said. You've misinterpreted it.

Rereading it now....
Also digital zoom is marketing BS -- we all have digital zoom on existing shots -- just crop in and expand. Reduced resolution is what you get.... they seem to be hiding that by using the term "lossless", but that's a term used around compression, not digital enlargement. It all looks like 15 year old technology to me... not a step in the right direction.

What did I interpret wrong here?

If you shoot in anything else than 4K you will get a lossless crop, no pixel loss.

But I agree that it would be the same as shooting in 4K and crop afterwards. However, some situations ask for 1080P or 2.7 K (or just higher frame rates). In those situations you can digitally zoom in without pixel loss.

Last edited:
Rereading it now....

If you shoot in anything else than 4K you will get a lossless crop, no pixel loss.

But I agree that it would be the same as shooting in 4K and crop afterwards. However, some situations ask for 1080P or 2.7 K (or just higher frame rates). In those situations you can digitally zoom in without pixel loss.
Let me put my spin on explaining this.

Shooting 4K at 3.5 Optical zoom and then cropping it down to 1080 should yield the same results as shooting 1080 at 7x zoom. the only difference might be the the footage shot at 7x might be shaky.

So in other words just shoot at 4k 3.5x only and the shots should be golden.

Reactions: IrishSights
Mmm, looks expensive for what it is, when you compare to the cost of Olympus 14-42mm lens for the X5
Buy Zenmuse Z3 | DJI Store
How much do you guys want to pay for something? Im astounded that people want everything for nothing. Its half the price of an X5. Don't you guys charge for your work? How much does any decent camera cost? 5k? 8k? What about a lens? 3k? 5k? 10k? I don get it.

How much do you guys want to pay for something? Im astounded that people want everything for nothing. Its half the price of an X5. Don't you guys charge for your work? How much does any decent camera cost? 5k? 8k? What about a lens? 3k? 5k? 10k? I don get it.
Dennis, your assumption is that everyone here charges for their work, most do not, so it can seem expensive for such a small sensor camera for those who are using their hard earned savings. No one is wanting 'everything for nothing' as you say, that's a ridiculous inmature statement to make. It actually sounds you are stirring the pot with your superior attitude...OK...trollish by definition...there is said it.

Let's keep this civil please, less condescending and on topic.

Back on topic, I am optimistic that at optical zoom levels at least, video might be ok going by the X5s performance with longer focal length lens from the same aerial platform. Still no samples out there that I could find.

It's about value. If I can get exponentially better results from an X5 with a 14-42 lens for $3000, as opposed to a marginal improvement over an X3 with the Z3, then even if the X5 setup costs three times as much as a Z3, then the X5 gives me better value for my money.

Reactions: IrishSights
It's about value. If I can get exponentially better results from an X5 with a 14-42 lens for $3000, as opposed to a marginal improvement over an X3 with the Z3, then even if the X5 setup costs three times as much as a Z3, then the X5 gives me better value for my money.
At less than 1/3 the cost and weighing much less than thw X5, this tool has its place.

Rereading it now....

You ware right first time, but final thoughts are not so correct - when you crop UHD recording to HD in post, or if you scale it to 200%, you will get obviously lower quality then it is pissible by prior scaling in camera. Reason for this is high conpression of recording (60 Mbits for UHD), therefore croping/scaling in post will magnify all compression artifacts as well. On the other hand, if you scale HD to UHD in camera prior to compression, recorded video will not have scaled compression defects, it will resemble genuine UHD even more if there is fair scaler/sharpenig algorithm in camera... So, zooming by croping sensor readout is much more appriciated, evenif you shoot in UHD/4K :)

Using just optical zoom and croping in post is way to go just for still images, which are recorded in raw DNG...

Reactions: lake_flyer
I am, however encouraged that DJI is continuing to develop options around the Inspire 1 mount -- meaning that there's a higher likelihood that the same mount will be used on the next generation of Inspires and our expensive add-ons won't become instantly obsolete.

Unlike some other tech companies *coughApplecough* that I can think of
While it's not a major investment, it would be good if the X3 filters will fit on the Z3 also. Anyone know?
Ted

Reactions: DrMrdalj
I've ordered one so I'll post my thoughts once I get it and test it out. It's not supposed to ship until at least the 28th of July but I expect it will be longer than that.

Reactions: lake_flyer
You ware right first time, but final thoughts are not so correct - when you crop UHD recording to HD in post, or if you scale it to 200%, you will get obviously lower quality then it is pissible by prior scaling in camera. Reason for this is high conpression of recording (60 Mbits for UHD), therefore croping/scaling in post will magnify all compression artifacts as well. On the other hand, if you scale HD to UHD in camera prior to compression, recorded video will not have scaled compression defects, it will resemble genuine UHD even more if there is fair scaler/sharpenig algorithm in camera... So, zooming by croping sensor readout is much more appriciated, evenif you shoot in UHD/4K :)

Using just optical zoom and croping in post is way to go just for still images, which are recorded in raw DNG...
Yeah, I see, you're right. Post cropping enlarges unwanted effects. With this optical/digital zoom at least you have a choice to crop in camera instead of post.

I've ordered one so I'll post my thoughts once I get it and test it out. It's not supposed to ship until at least the 28th of July but I expect it will be longer than that.
I can't wait till you have it :)
No really, keep us posted, I'm very interested.

But why Z3 is not made compatible with Osmo? Is this a marketing decision again? Sorry but I'll skip this one, I would immediately place an order if Z3 was made to fit to both I1 and Osmo.

Would a new camera such as a Z3 work with older firmware on the I1? I don't want to upgrade my firmware... I could use a new app though.

How does the performance of the Z3 zoom camera compare in quality to the Olympus prime lenses? I have a 12, 25 and 45. The cheapest cost twice the price of the zoom. The most expensive, over $A800. On that basis, the new camera is a bargain - IF the performance is better than the Olympus zoom and close to the primes. Also, this would give new life to what was a redundant Inspire 1. I will be very interested to see the quality. The X3 was dreadful - if you shot at 4K and cropped to 1080, the picture was way inferior to native 1080. Hope it is better with the Z5. Can't wait to see some footage.

How does the performance of the Z3 zoom camera compare in quality to the Olympus prime lenses? I have a 12, 25 and 45. The cheapest cost twice the price of the zoom. The most expensive, over $A800. On that basis, the new camera is a bargain - IF the performance is better than the Olympus zoom and close to the primes. Also, this would give new life to what was a redundant Inspire 1. I will be very interested to see the quality. The X3 was dreadful - if you shot at 4K and cropped to 1080, the picture was way inferior to native 1080. Hope it is better with the Z5. Can't wait to see some footage.

No one knows much about it yet. If I had to guess I think it will be similar to the X3, it's not so much the glass but the sensor imo, Olys are in a different league...hoping I'm wrong :)

Edit: in DJIs words "The DJI Zenmuse Z3 is an integrated aerial zoom camera based on DJI’s class leading Zenmuse X3..."
Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe123