Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Zenmuse Z3 Zoom Camera announced

Reaction score
Website
www.moraysky.co.uk
A new zoom camera announced for the I1, I1v2, Matrice 100 and 600.

The Zenmuse Z3 gimbal and camera features an optical zoom lens. It provides a 3.5 optical zoom and 2x digital zoom. The Type 1/2.3 CMOS sensor supports 4K video recording and 12MP still photos. As with other DJI 3-axis gimbal systems, the Zenmuse Z3 can be mounted onto a DJI aircraft* and stream live HD video to the DJI GO app.

Buy Zenmuse Z3

A new zoom camera announced for the I1, I1v2, Matrice 100 and 600.

The Zenmuse Z3 gimbal and camera features an optical zoom lens. It provides a 3.5 optical zoom and 2x digital zoom. The Type 1/2.3 CMOS sensor supports 4K video recording and 12MP still photos. As with other DJI 3-axis gimbal systems, the Zenmuse Z3 can be mounted onto a DJI aircraft* and stream live HD video to the DJI GO app.

Buy Zenmuse Z3
Standby for new firmware to support the Z3 coming to a download near you very soon. :p

Oh and BTW - video recorded with this camera when zoomed in will be shaky.

Standby for new firmware to support the Z3 coming to a download near you very soon. :p

Oh and BTW - video recorded with this camera when zoomed in will be shaky.
Note: Video shot at 7x zoom could be shaky. This is the result of the extended focal length, which magnifies the image, reducing the performance of stabilization systems. This shake does not affect still image capture. Still image capture is recommended when zoomed in.

Reactions: The Editor
Do you mean shaky on optical zoom or digital zoom or both? Do you have sample video to show this shakiness?

Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot
Have a look on the product page on FAQ's - DJI admit this will deliver shaky video.
I haven't played with one so I can't say whether it is a little bit of wibble wobble or if it's totally unusable.
Unfortunately this is just a symptom of long focal lengths. Even though the Zenmuse camp have an accuracy of 0.03 degrees that is magnified many times the longer reach you give a lens.
It can be eliminated but not in this price bracket!

Reactions: clackey
Have a look on the product page on FAQ's - DJI admit this will deliver shaky video.
I haven't played with one so I can't say whether it is a little bit of wibble wobble or if it's totally unusable.
Unfortunately this is just a symptom of long focal lengths. Even though the Zenmuse camp have an accuracy of 0.03 degrees that is magnified many times the longer reach you give a lens.
It can be eliminated bit not in this price bracket!
I did read this "When a camera is zoomed in the smallest movements are magnified. Adding an additional layer of stability to the yaw control of the Z3 is a custom designed reaction wheel. This works in tandem with the normal yaw motor to allow for more refined movement"...what ever that means!

×7 I can understand shake, x3.5 well we'll have to wait for the videos to appear.

For me It's biggy use would be great for inspections and mapping...if the SDK apps like MapPilot can integrate it. I have asked on their forum but no response yet.

I did read this "When a camera is zoomed in the smallest movements are magnified. Adding an additional layer of stability to the yaw control of the Z3 is a custom designed reaction wheel. This works in tandem with the normal yaw motor to allow for more refined movement"...what ever that means!

×7 I can understand shake, x3.5 well we'll have to wait for the videos to appear.

For me It's biggy use would be great for inspections and mapping...if the SDK apps like MapPilot can integrate it. I have asked on their forum but no response yet.

I see the still photo application, but it's a pretty damned slow lens @ 77mm. Considering a lot of inspection work happens in less bright places this is a pretty iffy proposition IMHO. Also digital zoom is marketing BS -- we all have digital zoom on existing shots -- just crop in and expand. Reduced resolution is what you get.... they seem to be hiding that by using the term "lossless", but that's a term used around compression, not digital enlargement. It all looks like 15 year old technology to me... not a step in the right direction.

Reactions: IrishSights
I see the still photo application, but it's a pretty damned slow lens @ 77mm. Considering a lot of inspection work happens in less bright places this is a pretty iffy proposition IMHO. Also digital zoom is marketing BS -- we all have digital zoom on existing shots -- just crop in and expand. Reduced resolution is what you get.... they seem to be hiding that by using the term "lossless", but that's a term used around compression, not digital enlargement. It all looks like 15 year old technology to me... not a step in the right direction.
Yeah I know what you mean. I always ignore the digital zoom false sell. Nearly all my inspection work is in normal daylight and in sunny conditions I use a ND filter, so I might need to leave that off. Weighing it up it means safer flying on construction sites and narrower fov for more detail. For Commercial work I think it has a case despite its shortcomings.

Still pricey though for what it is.

Reactions: DrMrdalj and pixl45

Do you mean shaky on optical zoom or digital zoom or both?...

It would be both because whenever you extend a focal point ie. zooming on a subject you also increase the amount of instability of the image exponentially. That is why Zoom Lens will have either an IS mode or the requirement of a monopod or tripod when shooting images from afar.

sports-photographers-with-monopods.jpg

I am, however encouraged that DJI is continuing to develop options around the Inspire 1 mount -- meaning that there's a higher likelihood that the same mount will be used on the next generation of Inspires and our expensive add-ons won't become instantly obsolete.

Unlike some other tech companies *coughApplecough* that I can think of

Reactions: slim.slamma
It would be both because whenever you extend a focal point ie. zooming on a subject you also increase the amount of instability of the image exponentially. That is why Zoom Lens will have either an IS mode or the requirement of a monopod or tripod when shooting images from afar.
I know, It'll be interesting to see some footage though. Even not zooming fully would be an advantage if price was not in the way. Initially pre launch I would have said the same about the X5 and a 45mm. We'll just have to wait, nothing out there yet that I could find.

I dont see why the 3.5x zoom would be shaky. A 45mm on the X5 is not so and that is 90mm equivalents. Here are the specs for Z3 from DJI: 3.5x Optical Zoom, 22–77mm Equivalent.

digital zoom on existing shots -- just crop in and expand.
It's lossless in any resolution (except 4K). It doesn't expand, it just crops from the total 4K image. You keep the same amount of pixels.
In 4K you only get optical.

Reactions: DrMrdalj

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry