Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Newbie Question - What paperwork do I physically need?

Reaction score
I just passed my part 107 test last week! I have gone through the steps to apply for my license and am anxiously waiting.

My question is, when I go out to fly for my company, what paperwork do I physically need to have on my person?

Depends. #1 is your FAA certificate in your pocket. That is required and may alleviate the inquisitions from LE officers. Everyone will have an opinion on this so here's what I've carried since 2015:

A folder, indexed with tabs so each section can be easily located:
Copies (never originals) of my FAA license, local business license (if required by ordinance), FAA N# registration for all my aircraft, insurance police/certificate, driver's license (cops will always do a wants and warrant NCIC check and having my license info in their hands will facilitate it). If they want to see the actual driver's license then I'll get out my wallet, and copies of Airspace Authorizations, whether long form FAA or the LAANC quickies you can get from Skyward when flying in controlled airspace.

The folder is in my briefcase so is always in my work SUV. I was working in Phoenix (very close to Sky Harbor-class Bravo) earlier this year, a couple of young cops stopped and just watched me for a while. After I landed they came over and chatted about drones; one of them owned a P4 and we got to talking.

Being a retired cop, I do understand the police mentality. In a very casual tone the P4 owner mentioned I was very close to the airport. I replied with, yes sir, I do have FAA authorization, would you like to see it? His reply was amusing, "you know, I've never seen one, may I see it? " A very polite way to ask to see my airspace authorization. Point of the story is have an embarkation checklist, to ensure nothing is forgotten before u leave home.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Are you required to have all this crap on you? Not really but I found it makes life easier and shows whoever asks, you are a professional operating a business, not some "yahoo with a drone." I work a lot of construction sites so vest & hardhat are also a must have.

Reactions: Fly Gary
Being a retired cop, I do understand the police mentality. In a very casual tone the P4 owner mentioned I was very close to the airport. I replied with, yes sir, I do have FAA authorization, would you like to see it? His reply was amusing, "you know, I've never seen one, may I see it? " A very polite way to ask to see my airspace authorization. Point of the story is have an embarkation checklist, to ensure nothing is forgotten before u leave home.

I was filming a food truck event in Mesa a few weeks ago, and had a person come up and ask, how long it too me to get my authorization to fly so close to Falcon Field. I said about 4 months for 100 feet then another 5 for the whole altitude range of the facility maps. he went on to say he also flies drones on crash sites as part of his job with the NTSB. Then to whole conversation turned in the technical aspects of flying with xxx drone.

Adding to LPs comment, I got a second copy of my FAA License to keep in my flight bag, same number as the original. When on site I wear it on an lanyard as well as a safety vest identifying my company and me as a licensed commercial UAS pilot. (I purposely left off FAA on the vest since I don't work for them). Bottom line, act professional and speak competently without being arrogant and look like you belong in the location doing what you are doing. I've managed to turn more than a few, 'hey what are you doing here' into customers for future work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah