Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reaction score
Hello
I have just joined the forum as I am planning to invest in a inspire 1 or will it be a 2, we wait and see. I have a small photography business in the Midlands and looking to expand into this genre of work. I have started to research my new project and clearly there is a mountain to climb in both theoretical and practical knowledge. I have seen plenty of videos on You Tube on how not to do it. Any advice is great fully received.
Thank you Andy

Hello
I have just joined the forum as I am planning to invest in a inspire 1 or will it be a 2, we wait and see. I have a small photography business in the Midlands and looking to expand into this genre of work. I have started to research my new project and clearly there is a mountain to climb in both theoretical and practical knowledge. I have seen plenty of videos on You Tube on how not to do it. Any advice is great fully received.
Thank you Andy
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
Don't forget, for any commercial work you will need to hold PFAW before you can utilise the images/video into your business.
There is plenty of information on the forum and people always willing to help. :)

Thank you Editor ,
Not totally sure of the pathway I should go down. I can see I need to get the relevant certificates to work and pass various tests of practical nature. Do I start with enrolling on a course with a reputable company before spending any money on a drone? Clearly this process is going to take up to 12 months to achieve as long as I put the effort in.

Thank you Editor ,
Not totally sure of the pathway I should go down. I can see I need to get the relevant certificates to work and pass various tests of practical nature. Do I start with enrolling on a course with a reputable company before spending any money on a drone? Clearly this process is going to take up to 12 months to achieve as long as I put the effort in.
You can fly for fun/hobby without getting PFAW but you would not be able to use any images for your business.
However, personally I would get a UAV beforehand (which is what 99% of people!e do) and get used to flying/using the platform and having a blast. :p
There are plenty of good NQE's available - one not too far from you over in Lincoln which can take you through gaining your PFAW and getting you up and running commercially. :)

Thank you
After all the videos on you tube, I wouldn't want to trash a £3000.00 plus piece of kit. I am trying to identify where I can earn an income once I have permission to fly professionally. There are so many rules on where and how you fly a drone, which I understand totally. I have been astounded by the places people fly them when it comes to safety. Which begs another question, if the likes of Amazon and co wanted to do drone deliveries in the UK going forward in the future; will the CAA have to change the rules that will benefit professional drone pilots?

Last edited:
Thank you
After all the videos on you tube, I wouldn't want to trash a £3000.00 plus piece of kit. I am trying to identify where I can earn an income once I have permission to fly professionally. There are so many rules on where and how you fly a drone, which I understand totally. I have been astounded by the places people fly them when it comes to safety. Which begs another question, if the likes of Amazon and co wanted to do drone deliveries in the UK going forward in the future; will the CAA have to change the rules that will benefit professional drone pilots?
They could apply for a some sort of permanent operational safety case with the CAA as they would be BVLOS amongst many, many other things. God help the person writing the Ops manual for that!

Thank you
No - more like Amazon will be given special permissions to enable them to operate. Their machines will have to satisfy a huge number of safety measures and redundant systems as well as probably be incorporated into a special dedicated area of the NAS.
There is a long long way to go and many hoops for Amazon (and others) to jump through before commercial deliveries can become a reality.

Are there many people working commercially without the relevant paperwork in the uk? If the drone industry is anything like photography there are probably people doing it for next to nothing compared to the money they invest in equipment and time! I can tell you I won't be one of those .

Oh, and don't be too worried about the rules. With common sense and a solid operational safety case for anything tricky, you'll be able to take on work in most locations with careful planning.

I was talking with someone today about a job that someone had cleared by the CAA to photograph Heathrow, from the runway (amongst other locations) during operational hours!

Grant yourself a Hubsan X4 or syma x5 and start to get a feel of the controls

Are there many people working commercially without the relevant paperwork in the uk? If the drone industry is anything like photography there are probably people doing it for next to nothing compared to the money they invest in equipment and time! I can tell you I won't be one of those .
No, difference being insurance & PFCO (PFAW) are essential

I was thinking of an inspire 1 pro, but going to hold fire to see what's coming from dji

There are many operating without the relevant permissions.
If people take photos or video weddings without proper 'credentials' nobody is going to get killed. If people operate in airspace where they shouldn't because they do not have the training or knowledge and have/cause an accident they will not be insured and that's the end of their business and possibly someone's life!
An extreme example but you get the idea.

Any idea what the best market place is to get into in the Uk? What are typical insurance costs ?

The rules are there for a reason, I will be playing by them for sure. I just don't get people flying them in there local street and damaging property!

Any idea what the best market place is to get into in the Uk? What are typical insurance costs ?
Depending on what level of cover you want estimate for between £600-£1200 per annum.
Cheaper and more expensive policies are available but you need to shop around and some give benefits over others.
Since the claims experience has been extremely good over the past few years (thanks to excellent training and good safety procedures which the CAA insist on) we should see premiums fall over the coming period.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop