Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Next iOS update almost ready?

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Reactions: sirnikolas
The only thing I can see is the addition of 'Director' which appears to be a waste of time and will not be used by anyone seriously to edit. And some functional layout changes.

However, it has tripled the size of the file from 40Mb to 120Mb just to add the Fischer Price 'My first movie making program' to the app!

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
The only thing I can see is the addition of 'Director' which appears to be a waste of time and will not be used by anyone seriously to edit. And some functional layout changes.

However, it has tripled the size of the file from 40Mb to 120Mb just to add the Fischer Price 'My first movie making program' to the app!

Definitely aimed at the Phantom users / more casual users or folks who focus on the flying side more than the video side of things.

I personally wish they had not spent any resources on this and focused on Ground Station, live streaming and bug fixing.

Definitely aimed at the Phantom users / more casual users or folks who focus on the flying side more than the video side of things.

I personally wish they had not spent any resources on this and focused on Ground Station, live streaming and bug fixing.
I agree - I wish DJI would stick to what they are good at which is multirotor technology and not try and play with the big boys when it comes to camera and/or NLE software.
I'm afraid this is where their real lack of experience and technology shows. None of the mainstream players would even contemplate offering 4k at 60mbps!

I'm afraid this is where their real lack of experience and technology shows. None of the mainstream players would even contemplate offering 4k at 60mbps!
Uh, all the mainstream players using the same platform do so - likely because said platform simply can't do more.

Reactions: Nate H
I too agree. Keep the Phantom and Inspire apps separate! :mad:

With the route DJI has gone given how similar the inspire and phantom platforms are; camera, light bridge, etc. it doessn't really make sense to build and support two separate applications for similar uses. The differences ie dual operator function etc are mainly managed through the hardware and/or remotes or so I understand, I only have a single remote. Two apps means more chances for bugs in each and just more complexity and room for error in general.

Uh, all the mainstream players using the same platform do so - likely because said platform simply can't do more.
Well yes, sorry I should have elaborated. You are no doubt right, the hardware probably just can't do any higher bitrate. It runs hot enough to fry an egg on the camera as it is so I guess everything is maxed out.
200mbps would be nice :cool:. Poor little camera would glow like a piece of lava :p

Will Director have onboard color correction for the Log footage?
I only ask because I shot a winery today and wanted to show my client a previous and she had to come all the way out to the truck to see it.
This was because I didn't want to bring the inspire into her office...
I need to have the gimbal on to playback the video in the app, correct?
I have been trying to figure out how exactly Director will work. I understand that it will not be intended for delivery but if I can clip multiple clips to form a quick preview, it would be great for clients to see while I am still on-sight.
Any suggestions?

The app now stores the video received through the LB in a "cache" on the phone/tablet whenever the camera is recording, so you'll always have a "preview quality" copy of what you're recording on your device (shows up in user center->album). These cached clips apparently need a "conversion" step before you can play them or use them in Director, but you obviously don't need any connection to the craft to use them.

You can then select parts of any clips you have to create "moments", then just put those "moments" one after the other, reorder them and fine trim them, and export. It automatically puts some music (that of the one of 4 "templates" you've chosen) and an "inspire 1" credit with your pilot name. Once that's done you can review the result/upload to youtube but not modify it anymore, you'd have to start over.
No color correction or anything. It's really meant for the type of people who tend to love instagram and want to share their "awesome" creation right now without spending more than a couple of minutes on it and with no emphasis on quality. Very trendy nowadays with the general public, and also spot on for pros with current marketing techniques ("wow see what I just shot 5 minutes ago!" to build up excitement until you come up with the proper edit a couple of days later). It's actually quite well done for the purpose.

Should work for what you want and can all be done on the phone. But then again, if you count the conversion/export times I'm pretty sure you can whip out your powerful laptop, shove the Inspire's SD card in, throw the files into your favorite NLE and do the same trimming in about the same time but in full quality and being able to reuse that as a basis to continue your editing work later instead of having to redo it from scratch.

Last edited:
The app now stores the video received through the LB in a "cache" on the phone/tablet whenever the camera is recording, so you'll always have a "preview quality" copy of what you're recording on your device (shows up in user center->album). These cached clips apparently need a "conversion" step before you can play them or use them in Director, but you obviously don't need any connection to the craft to use them.

You can then select parts of any clips you have to create "moments", then just put those "moments" one after the other, reorder them and fine trim them, and export. It automatically puts some music (that of the one of 4 "templates" you've chosen) and an "inspire 1" credit with your pilot name. Once that's done you can review the result/upload to youtube but not modify it anymore, you'd have to start over.
No color correction or anything. It's really meant for the type of people who tend to love instagram and want to share their "awesome" creation right now without spending more than a couple of minutes on it and with no emphasis on quality. Very trendy nowadays with the general public, and also spot on for pros with current marketing techniques ("wow see what I just shot 5 minutes ago!" to build up excitement until you come up with the proper edit a couple of days later). It's actually quite well done for the purpose.

Should work for what you want and can all be done on the phone. But then again, if you count the conversion/export times I'm pretty sure you can whip out your powerful laptop, shove the Inspire's SD card in, throw the files into your favorite NLE and do the same trimming in about the same time but in full quality and being able to reuse that as a basis to continue your editing work later instead of having to redo it from scratch.
Yup....or even export an EDL and use that.

Kilrah, I haven't played with the 'Director feature' and I don't really intend to but looking at your comments above, does the cache empty on closure of the app? I would hope it does otherwise a lot of people's devices are going to fill up very quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
There are 2 new app settings for whether you want to cache or not and if yes whether to clean it automatically when it takes >2GB.

Great info thanks.

who in their right mind would use "director" mickey mouse editing program lol there are far better programs out there to edit easily with, DJI should stick to Flying....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters