Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No Limit Dronesz

Some rather valid observations giumick! I would also tend to believe that per my interpretation of FAA PIC responsibilities it is that any and all configurations of an aircraft flown by a certified pilot are the final responsibility of the PIC. Now since almost all of us on this forum have little to no experience with making changes to flight critical firmware functions and parameters, beyond what DJI GO 4 enables, almost by default we must trust DJI to provide us highly reliable firmware. History has proven that this is not always the case. History would also indicate that DJI has proven to gotten better at meeting that threshold.

However if "the buck stops here" with the PIC, then we pilots are by default put in a position to accept that the factory provided hardware and flight control software from DJI are the safest configuration possible as presented in previous posts in this thread.

I believe that many of us might not see the DJI software as safe to fly with as their hardware is. In fact throughout all high technology applications involving microprocessor controlled hardware it is most often the software which fails, "has bugs", more frequently than hardware. In fact most hardware components usually have been exposed to rigorous testing which provides data that often predicts at how many cycles of use or hours of operation this particular component will likely fail.

So why so many posts claiming any mod of flight control software will automatically make the aircraft less reliable? In fact any mod of flight control software only affects the ability of the PIC to interact with the aircraft. However whether this theoretical mod would improve or degrade the PIC's ability to safely control the aircraft is not really a pertinent question of breaking warranty or insurance policies. Why? Because all pre-flight inspections and care of the aircraft in addition to flight time, landing and post flight inspections are the full responsibility of the PIC.

Therefore any hardware or software mod performed by the PIC should only be in the interest of improved safe operation of the aircraft. If this is true then each of us have the responsibility to fly the safest aircraft possible and this is again based on the professional wisdom and experience of the PIC. So to mod or not to mod becomes a personal decision.

I am not a lawyer nor am I trying to "beat a dead horse to death", but after looking at specific portions in the part 107 law relative to flight safety, my interpretation is that we pilots are ultimately more responsible than DJI to perform safe flight missions. So DJI is, as per FAA guidelines, not responsible for providing safe, reliable flight control software. However we are responsible for safely flying what DJI sells us. I hope those watching this thread choose to let me know if I am off track here.

And yes this post might have not been exactly in line with the OP, but as a related branch off the OP, which was to bash a particular parameter mod app, it must be understood that any flight parameter mod whether by NLD, GO 4 or using any other means is still the responsibility of the PIC.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
No Limit Drones has released a new NLD assitent 1.7.0.3

I tried but still fails to recognize the I2 firmware. On the latest DJI assistent 1.2.4 the firmaware appears as 1.02.0100. It`s strange because am not sure but I think it was 1.02.0200 before.
Trying DJI assistent 1.1.0 it`s possible to get thru a backdoor with NotPad. There I can adjust flight parameters as I can see the adjustment which I have taken with the NLD client appear there too.
Beeing connected with NDL + DJI assistent 1.1.2 the firmware update doesn`t work but I can see and adjust parameters.

What is going on?

any ideas?

Modifying proprietary firmware is not condoned or endorsed.
Furthermore any commercial operators should steer clear since as soon as you load non manufacturer code into your aircraft you will have both invalidated your warranty and your insurance coverage.
The expression "wouldn't touch it with a barge pole" springs to mind.

John Deere got sued not long ago about this exact situation. Trying to force their owners to use their proprietary firmware software and maintenance programs. They lost. The court stated that a manufacturer could not force the owner of a product to use their firmware or forbid them from using a third-party

It appears rarly comprehensible to me that a technical novelty is beeing introduced by experts who did not wait until it is fully develloped- at least previously carrying out some tests before comming out with a new website pretending..no limits dronez.. You have to consider there are not just a few bugs it doesn`t workt at all. At least what I can say for I2
How is this any different than what DJI has done all along?

Reactions: slim.slamma
One more observation, NLD and their efforts to provide increased configurability of the DJI flight control parameters, should underscore to a certain extent just how much DJI covets their closed architecture. Additionally, the fact that DJI so often creates problems for its customers with new releases, could either be an indicator of the difficulty of managing their firmware revision model.

Or might this be intentional, as evidenced by how often it happens and how very unresponsive their customer support team is to rectify these issues. Obviously there is no discernable reason why this happens so often and why it takes so darn long for them to respond. Evidently it is either too difficult to make these fixes in a timely matter, they are immune to customer feedback on these bugs or again they just do not care.

Now from all indications DJI is moving towards a subscription service model for their software. Would that include renting us flight control firmware too? So maybe the future dictates that we will have to sequentially pay DJI to provide us firmware bugs that they are either incapable of fixing in a timely manner OR just don't care to make timely fixes available to their customers.

Hey I have no crystal ball but could this scenario possibly be the future reality of buying and flying DJI products. Maybe different tiers of customer service pricing such as $XXX amount of money and big fixes in 14 days, $XX amount of money but fixes in 30days and $X amount of money but fixes in 90 days?

Or even $XXXXXX amount of money and no bugs at all plus a new battery set every year.......fuel for thought???????

... Additionally, the fact that DJI so often creates problems for its customers with new releases, could either be an indicator of the difficulty of managing their firmware revision model.
To be honest, I don't think DJI have got a handle on the software (or firmware) development side of things. They've started from a bad base (bunging everything into one pot) and built up on it over a lot of versions. They had a chance to fork the development streams when they all but abandoned Go 3 and introduced Go 4, but unfortunately don't seem to have managed to leave all the gremlins behind in Go 3 (which says they kept a common code base). The early versions of Go 4 showed a marked reduction in file size, but that has gradually bloated out again as they've added more drones and features back in to the system all of which adds complexity to updates and increases chances of an update to one bitcausing issues elsewhere. Heck, I even split out separate manuals for my I2 and P4's in my Ops manuals as it was easier to handle the features and changes that way! The level of confusion and regression in the actual Go 4 app development must be enormous, the drone firmware only slightly less so. :(

Or might this be intentional, as evidenced by how often it happens and how very unresponsive their customer support team is to rectify these issues. Obviously there is no discernable reason why this happens so often and why it takes so darn long for them to respond. Evidently it is either too difficult to make these fixes in a timely matter, they are immune to customer feedback on these bugs or again they just do not care.
A mixture of everything you say and more - they've grown remarkably fast, and with that comes an explosion in the clamour surrounding help for their products. They simply haven't enough qualified staff to cope, and they've not really put enough good tech ability into the front line customer facing staff to help alleviate the perceived problems early enough. The same frontline staff are trying to support and field questions on stuff that is years and years old. Couple that with cultural and language differences between their customers and their staff, and it doesn't do much to help either side. I've watched their own forums for a while and I see staff that want to help, do help most of the time, but too often are hindered by mutual communication problems which lead to frustration all-round.

Now from all indications DJI is moving towards a subscription service model for their software. Would that include renting us flight control firmware too? So maybe the future dictates that we will have to sequentially pay DJI to provide us firmware bugs that they are either incapable of fixing in a timely manner OR just don't care to make timely fixes available to their customers.
I don't really think they'll move to a subscription model for firmware, nor for the basic DJI Go x app after all that is needed to be able to use the drones. Having said that, subscription models may come for the more commercially oriented ancillary flight systems and updates - things like Aeroscope and Ground Station. In some ways, I'm grateful they're even providing any updates to the systems as they're so intent on releasing the next greatest thing around...

Hey I have no crystal ball but could this scenario possibly be the future reality of buying and flying DJI products. Maybe different tiers of customer service pricing such as $XXX amount of money and big fixes in 14 days, $XX amount of money but fixes in 30days and $X amount of money but fixes in 90 days?
Companies do expect a different level of service and assistance to individuals, and ar often in a position to be able to pay for it - there are different tiers of drones from consumer through professional to enterprise... and so there will be different levels of support and service. Yes, if you've the money, you can already buy a higher level of support for stuff like the I2 - it's a different level of DJI Care and is more an additional level of cover for the hardware than anything else.

Or even $XXXXXX amount of money and no bugs at all plus a new battery set every year.......fuel for thought???????
lol.... would be nice, but it won't happen... they can't play whack-a-mole on the bugs quick enough, and they simply introduce new ones as fast as they hit the old ones.

DJI needs to sit down and design a proper eco-system from the ground up, to separate out the toys, pro's and enterprise into different streams and to learn to use proper software lifecycle strategies within each stream. That way, they might stand a chance. From what I've seen up to now, it's actually amazing these things work as well as they actually do...

I do wish they would sort themselves out with their software/firmware updates, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. They are what they are.

Last edited:
I would think that many of us would be happy to just be able to back out of the latest Inspire 2, POI feature, on this latest firmware update versus having to get around the abnormal gimbal movements which were brought into existence.

Thank you for sharing you opinions and insight as much of what you commented on appears to be evident. I have had very goodwilled DJI service personnel assist me on an issue. I recieved several timely replies to my attempts to perform their suggestions and they never quit on me. So even though resolution took about 4 weeks, their effort to assist never dropped off.

You certainly depicted their numerous challenges/obstacles which the support staffed are faced with every minute of everyday in their efforts to assist us. From pilots who do not know their remote is turned off to graduate level engineers trying to get answers all day long, wow what a challenge they have.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Support is always a challenge, I can still remember trying to help a colleague in Denmark who was having trouble with her computer & OS/2 years ago... the mouse wasn't working. Putting aside English-danish and danish-English language limitations, I t took a bit of working out. First thing I asked was if it was plugged in, "yes, of course", after 20 minutes with no fixes working I asked her to follow the wire from the mouse to the back of the computer... 'oh, it's not plugged in after all' :rolleyes:. On another occasion I had someone in sales adamant their computer had a major problem because it kept rebooting all the time. Every time we took it in for testing it worked perfectly, nor would it reboot if we tested it at her desk. Eventually we sat and watched her working on it for an hour or so, to discover that she was accidentally gently kicking the reset button on the front with her pointy shoes when she started swivelling her chair around :eek: :D.

Support do try hard, it's not always easy ;) :D

Now software and firmware gremlins... that's poor quality/management/control :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool