Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

normal vs high altitude props?

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the high altitude props? Do they reduce battery life or possibly extend it if lighter? are they a different material? Would love to hear some thoughts, Thanks!

As I understand it, they have more pitch to create more airflow in thinner atmosphere.
So, if that is true, they would create more resistance in lower atmospheres and thus use more power.
Probably reducing flight time.
I have never used them but have read about them on the DJI forum.

Reactions: PatrickP
As I understand it, they have more pitch to create more airflow in thinner atmosphere.
So, if that is true, they would create more resistance in lower atmospheres and thus use more power.
Probably reducing flight time.
I have never used them but have read about them on the DJI forum.

Thanks, i do most of my flying at about 5300ft wondering if it would be a good idea...

Using high altitude props at 5,000ft will give you the same performance characteristics of regular (sea level) props at, say, 200ft.

They create more resistance but that means a reduction in motor speed. For each 1,000ft above sea level I think (remembering from a hungover lecture about 8 years ago) you lose around 2-3% in performance/thrust for a given RPM and prop. So you're operating at around 85-90% compared to if you flew at sea level.

That being the case you should see a slight increase in flight times though I imagine it will be very small.

Definitely worth getting a set.

Sent from my LG-H815 using InspirePilots mobile app

Reactions: PatrickP
Using high altitude props at 5,000ft will give you the same performance characteristics of regular (sea level) props at, say, 200ft.

They create more resistance but that means a reduction in motor speed. For each 1,000ft above sea level I think (remembering from a hungover lecture about 8 years ago) you lose around 2-3% in performance/thrust for a given RPM and prop. So you're operating at around 85-90% compared to if you flew at sea level.

That being the case you should see a slight increase in flight times though I imagine it will be very small.

Definitely worth getting a set.

Sent from my LG-H815 using InspirePilots mobile app

thanks for the detail, ill pick up a couple pairs!

Reactions: dgreen729
Decrease in fly time . Different pitch will give you better lift but use more power to do so . Sane as the 1360's for the inspire 1

I fly regular props all the time at about 5000'. At about 7-9k is where you begin to notice a difference. Above 10k, you almost need them or fly very carefully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry