Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Outside interference with flight of drone.

Any job you would perform for a City Government, even for free, would require a licensed operator. Any licensed operator would know the rules with respect to privacy, safety etc.
That's the way it is in my place but I assume in the US it is the same.

This brings a situation I had with a city government to mind:

We have had discussions with the the 4th largest city in our country, they asked us to fly over houses, traffic, even kindergarten, and preferably at a busy period so there would be a lot of traffic, which they needed to show the effect of a newly built bicycle route through the city. When we explained that we would need to have special permissions, extra observers and traffic marshals and that we preferred to do the job in the early morning (less traffic and no children in the kindergarten and playground), they threatened to give the job to someone else of who they knew he would just do it.

They showed us a drone video that was shot earlier in the project and told us that that was exactly how they wanted it. Man, this was insane, this guy did everything we would never be able to do legally. It looked like he had programmed a waypoint mission in his Mavic with the entire bicycle route through that part of the city, taking his bird far beyond any way of keeping VLOS, over traffic, ships, buildings, houses, schoolyards (with playing children) etc. Turned out that he was the regular photographer/filmer for the city, who just happend to have a 'flying camera'. They refused to accept the term 'aircraft'.

We kindly asked to get a meeting with the majors office (ultimately in charge of local law enforcement) to ask about how this could even be possible. That did it. No meeting was required. We got the job in the end, after much discussion, and did it completely within the rules. They still didn't like that we refused to fly directly over anything and it took us quite some effort to get our invoice paid. I'm pretty sure next time they ask their favourite photographer hobby pilot again.

This looks like a similar kind of situation, a city or other local government authority, asking a fellow citizen amateur to do something for them, regardless of the rules (because they aren't aware of any). We see it happening every day and everywhere.

Thank you for being a responsible operator and pointing out to the city their clown photographer is placing them in a position of liability. This attitude is what will save our profession.

Agree, but I would argue that it's not as clear as the FAR makes it seem. For example, say your hovering over a piece of land (not over anyone), then suddenly a dirt biker rides out of the woods and stops right under your drone, or crosses underneath it. Technically, you're in violation, but how is that avoidable? And where do you draw the line of incidentally and purposefully flying over people? If you can be dinged for an incidental, then we may as well hang up our Remote Certs.
Was there anything you could have done to anticipate that? Probably not. "incidentally" and "purposefully" are very different words. If someone files a complaint against you the feds evaluate the entire situation. Was it foreseeable to a pilot that a dirt bike to come out of nowhere while you are flying in the woods? Is it foreseeable that people are out and about their homes and thus flying a UAV over a residential neighborhood is illegal for Part 107 pilots? The rules are clear, people will do whatever they want.

Thank you for being a responsible operator and pointing out to the city their clown photographer is placing them in a position of liability. This attitude is what will save our profession.
Thanks! And thanks for reading all of it :)

After spending some time on the Mavic forum (got one myself recently) it sure is great to be here again ;).

Your actions are intrusive. If you're in the USA and even if your licensed your flying over buildings and private dwellings is in violation of part 107. No matter how well intended.

Google "avigation easement," which protects both pilot and land owner. It's what allows police helicopters, fixed wing, ambulance, and any other aviation fly over you property without reprisal. As registered FAA vehicles, drones are no different and entitled to the same use of easement. Turns out, you don't own the airspace above your house. You own the airspace up to the tallest item on your property, which can be a tree or an antenna.

Last edited:
I am working on a project in my neighborhood which is going to be helpful to the city government in dealing with a current issue. One of my neighbors has been shining a laser at the drone to try to interfere with this project. My neighbor who has been shining the laser is knowing as a local whack job and the police have gone out and asked him to stop. On two separate occasions when I have flown directly over his house at about 100 feet and going about 30MPH the drone loses control and starts spinning clockwise. On both occasions I was able to get it home but it was quite difficult. Does anyone know if this individual could be causing this and if so what is he doing or using?

I'm thinking a microwave gun made from an old microwave oven amplifier could wreak havoc with your 2.4GHz control signal.

Stop flying over his house...are you flying over people in the neighborhood also?

Google "avigation easement," which protects both pilot and land owner. It's what allows police helicopters, fixed wing, ambulance, and any other aviation fly over you property without reprisal. As registered FAA vehicles, drones are no different and entitled to the same use of easement. Turns out, you don't own the airspace above your house. You own the airspace up to the tallest item on your property, which can be a tree or an antenna.

If he hasn't given you permission to fly over his house then STOP IT - your not doing any project any favours if you are upsetting your neighbours!

Regarding privacy, there has been a lot of discussion around privacy concerns and the fact remains that when outside your house, you don't have any reasonable right to privacy. The FAA gives guidance on privacy concerns but there is no law.

Right on, except that if you are outside your house but in a privacy fenced yard, you also have an expectation of privacy.

Please direct me to the FAA regulation prohibiting part 107 flights over private property...Obviously the FAA recommends using good judgment and respecting private property...now local jurisdictions...that's a different story.

There are none. If you've ever had cause to work with the FAA directly, you will find that they are quite nice. At least that has been my experience. FAA trolls, however, not so much. Entitled, self-righteous, misinformed.

If that guy ever shines that laser at a police helicopter that he doesn't like flying over his property, he'll find himself in big trouble.

Laser Pointer Safety - NEVER aim laser pointers at aircraft

Because the FAA forces us to register our drones, we are governed and PROTECTED by all the same laws as full scale aviation. They kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one. You might even be able to press charges. File a complaint with the moniker "FAA registered vehicle." Show the footage. Nobody has to know it's a drone because you are protected by the same laws. In reality, you would probably get nowhere, but it's worth a shot. It would be interesting to see how the FAA would defend a practice of NOT protecting your FAA-registered vehicle. OR...they WILL protect your rights. It would be interesting to see.

Sorry, And lets be honest here.. At least for a second. Are you going to tell me that I cannot launch from my backyard, run it up to 150 feet, fly at 25-30MPH, Back and forth a few times to test controls, camera etc with my Inspire if it means Im flying over some neighbors houses?
Really, this is NOT in violation of any FAA rule. We are talking FAA here not local laws. Be real. Like Donnie F said.. People in your neighborhood DO NOT own the air space and as long as I'm in cleared airspace flying, there isnt a thing you or the FAA can do about it. I will continue to fly and test from my back yard and if some yo yo is pointing a laser or shooting at my drone , I will call the police. Thats all

Reactions: samtheparrot
Right on, except that if you are outside your house but in a privacy fenced yard, you also have an expectation of privacy.

Tell that to the police and news helicopters that fly over your house. Lemme know how that goes.

Im seriously dumb founded by what some people think is the law. The law is the law. The LAW (Unless there is a municipal code law in the books) gives me permission to fly over house. End of story. Move on , I dont care if you are in your own back yard playing with your kids Im flying over the house. Im not hovering and spying.. if I'm doing that , then State or local laws on voyeurism could be in affect. IM not! Also, lots of real estate filming requires you to fly over houses to get the project completed.. Knock on a door , tell them what you doing etc , if you like. You are NOT required to but if thats what you want to do, then do it.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Im seriously dumb founded by what some people think is the law. The law is the law. The LAW (Unless there is a municipal code law in the books) gives me permission to fly over house. End of story. Move on , I dont care if you are in your own back yard playing with your kids Im flying over the house. Im not hovering and spying.. if I'm doing that , then State or local laws on voyeurism could be in affect. IM not! Also, lots of real estate filming requires you to fly over houses to get the project completed.. Knock on a door , tell them what you doing etc , if you like. You are NOT required to but if thats what you want to do, then do it.

Bingo. Glad someone else gets it. Notice nobody ever cites the laws they accuse us of breaking? I wonder why nobody ever wonders why nobody ever cites these laws.

Sorry, And lets be honest here.. At least for a second. Are you going to tell me that I cannot launch from my backyard, run it up to 150 feet, fly at 25-30MPH, Back and forth a few times to test controls, camera etc with my Inspire if it means Im flying over some neighbors houses?
Really, this is NOT in violation of any FAA rule. We are talking FAA here not local laws. Be real. Like Donnie F said.. People in your neighborhood DO NOT own the air space and as long as I'm in cleared airspace flying, there isnt a thing you or the FAA can do about it. I will continue to fly and test from my back yard and if some yo yo is pointing a laser or shooting at my drone , I will call the police. Thats all

It's literally impossible to do any kind of commercial flying without flying over someone's property.

I had one guy threaten me with a gun and told me he was going to call the cops. I was shooting a construction project for a movie theatre. Doing the POI outer perimeter put my bird over private property @ roughly 75' AGL. I told the guy, "Here...let me save you a call." I called the police, the guy left, the police arrived, I told my story, and the cop was nice enough to stick around while I finished my flights.

When it comes to drones vs. guns. vs. lasers, the law is on your side. Period.

Agree Donnie Frank. Same thing when I was doing a real estate video for a client. I told him leave or I will call the police. I know the law.. I do not get where some of these people in these forums arent accurate in giving people advise. Its confuses people as well as misleads them. Be sure what your saying if in doubt, call the FAA or call your local police dept. I didn't buy a drone to fly inside my house. If it comes to that, Im done. Fly a way, just do it with the law.

"Are you going to tell me that I cannot launch from my backyard, run it up to 150 feet, fly at 25-30MPH, Back and forth a few times to test controls, camera etc with my Inspire if it means Im flying over some neighbors houses?"
If you fly over people and you are 107 you are in violation, split it any way you want.

Agree Donnie Frank. Same thing when I was doing a real estate video for a client. I told him leave or I will call the police. I know the law.. I do not get where some of these people in these forums arent accurate in giving people advise. Its confuses people as well as misleads them. Be sure what your saying if in doubt, call the FAA or call your local police dept. I didn't buy a drone to fly inside my house. If it comes to that, Im done. Fly a way, just do it with the law.

" I do not get where some of these people in these forums arent accurate in giving people advise. " Not advice, just quoting the FARs. Any part 107 pilot should know what they are. Launching your drone and sending it over the neighborhood w/o knowing if you are flying over people is not only irresponsible but as a 107 pilot you know better.

"I dont care if you are in your own back yard playing with your kids Im flying over the house. Im not hovering and spying.. if I'm doing that"
Really, are you 107? If so, what part of 107. 39 did you not understand. If you are a hobbyist have at it.

Licensed pilot: Not sure what attitude your referring to..and my point exactly...i couldn't leave my yard if I wanted to avoid private property, let along complete my commercial work. Of course you use common sense, and don't do stupid stuff...Post number 2 states flights over private dwellings is in direct violation of part 107...I'm asking where is that stated? So what are you talking about?
Agree, poorly worded. Should say "over people." On any given day in any city neighborhood there are plenty of people on the sidewalks, back yards, moving cars, etc. That's a fact.

Iicensed pilot, with all do respect u are 100% wrong. A individual is Not a group of people. Use common sense here. Reality is 99% of any footage you take, u may have flown over a person. U could be in remote Alaska and a guy may be hiking down below. How would you know? The law is in place for to prevent people filming, without a waiver, over a group of people. Example, wedding or sporting event. Think of what's happening in Houston, do you think for one minute that drone searches aren't flying over a person. Use logic. If u want to fly in your garage, then have at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamarisCia