Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Outside interference with flight of drone.

Reaction score
I am working on a project in my neighborhood which is going to be helpful to the city government in dealing with a current issue. One of my neighbors has been shining a laser at the drone to try to interfere with this project. My neighbor who has been shining the laser is knowing as a local whack job and the police have gone out and asked him to stop. On two separate occasions when I have flown directly over his house at about 100 feet and going about 30MPH the drone loses control and starts spinning clockwise. On both occasions I was able to get it home but it was quite difficult. Does anyone know if this individual could be causing this and if so what is he doing or using?

Reactions: AlR
On two separate occasions when I have flown directly over his house at about 100 feet and going about 30MPH the drone loses control and starts spinning clockwise.
Your actions are intrusive. If you're in the USA and even if your licensed your flying over buildings and private dwellings is in violation of part 107. No matter how well intended.

I am working on a project in my neighborhood which is going to be helpful to the city government in dealing with a current issue. One of my neighbors has been shining a laser at the drone to try to interfere with this project. My neighbor who has been shining the laser is knowing as a local whack job and the police have gone out and asked him to stop. On two separate occasions when I have flown directly over his house at about 100 feet and going about 30MPH the drone loses control and starts spinning clockwise. On both occasions I was able to get it home but it was quite difficult. Does anyone know if this individual could be causing this and if so what is he doing or using?
Stop flying over his house...are you flying over people in the neighborhood also?

Reactions: RMartin
hmm....
What about the VPS sensor? Would a laser bother it in flight?
Anything is possible but I think it unlikely that the laser was the cause. Again, as pointed out in a previous post and regardless of who you are providing the service to, if someone has an objection over you flying over their property, in some areas depending upon local and state law, you can be prosecuted for invading their right to privacy. Here, in my state, that is a $10,000.00 fine per image not including possible jail time.
If this person is a member of the tinfoil hat brigade, give him or her a wide berth.

Please direct me to the FAA regulation prohibiting part 107 flights over private property...Obviously the FAA recommends using good judgment and respecting private property...now local jurisdictions...that's a different story.

Please direct me to the FAA regulation prohibiting part 107 flights over private property...Obviously the FAA recommends using good judgment and respecting private property...now local jurisdictions...that's a different story.
And there are -0- persons on private homes in your neighborhood, nor moving cars? Your attitude is what gives us all a bad rep.

Any job you would perform for a City Government, even for free, would require a licensed operator. Any licensed operator would know the rules with respect to privacy, safety etc.
That's the way it is in my place but I assume in the US it is the same.

This brings a situation I had with a city government to mind:

We have had discussions with the the 4th largest city in our country, they asked us to fly over houses, traffic, even kindergarten, and preferably at a busy period so there would be a lot of traffic, which they needed to show the effect of a newly built bicycle route through the city. When we explained that we would need to have special permissions, extra observers and traffic marshals and that we preferred to do the job in the early morning (less traffic and no children in the kindergarten and playground), they threatened to give the job to someone else of who they knew he would just do it.

They showed us a drone video that was shot earlier in the project and told us that that was exactly how they wanted it. Man, this was insane, this guy did everything we would never be able to do legally. It looked like he had programmed a waypoint mission in his Mavic with the entire bicycle route through that part of the city, taking his bird far beyond any way of keeping VLOS, over traffic, ships, buildings, houses, schoolyards (with playing children) etc. Turned out that he was the regular photographer/filmer for the city, who just happend to have a 'flying camera'. They refused to accept the term 'aircraft'.

We kindly asked to get a meeting with the majors office (ultimately in charge of local law enforcement) to ask about how this could even be possible. That did it. No meeting was required. We got the job in the end, after much discussion, and did it completely within the rules. They still didn't like that we refused to fly directly over anything and it took us quite some effort to get our invoice paid. I'm pretty sure next time they ask their favourite photographer hobby pilot again.

This looks like a similar kind of situation, a city or other local government authority, asking a fellow citizen amateur to do something for them, regardless of the rules (because they aren't aware of any). We see it happening every day and everywhere.

Licensed pilot: Not sure what attitude your referring to..and my point exactly...i couldn't leave my yard if I wanted to avoid private property, let along complete my commercial work. Of course you use common sense, and don't do stupid stuff...Post number 2 states flights over private dwellings is in direct violation of part 107...I'm asking where is that stated? So what are you talking about?

Reactions: ProBowie
Licensed pilot...I'll assume you think my mission is to fly over people and private property for aggravation purposes...how you derived that from my post is beyond me. Before you make assumptions, please know the facts.

We ARE allowed to fly over private property the same way any aircraft is allowed to fly over private property. You're NOT allowed to LAUNCH from private property without permission, and I think if you are specifically filming a private property, you need property owners permission, but if you're not filming that property (up close), then you don't need permission.

Having said that, it is in our best interest to let neighbors know that you are doing it.

Shining a laser at ANY aircraft IS illegal. As long as he is not flying over anyone that is outside (not in there house, or stationary car), he is within the Part 107 rule. Not sure how it could interfere with flight of the drone unless it messed up opti.

Regarding privacy, there has been a lot of discussion around privacy concerns and the fact remains that when outside your house, you don't have any reasonable right to privacy. The FAA gives guidance on privacy concerns but there is no law.

Different story if he's flying at 20' and filming inside windows without permission. That would be covered under existing privacy laws though.

And, if a law IS made saying drones can't film someone's house, then I will IMMEDIATELY sue Google for filming my house and putting it on google maps. I was outside when they did it so I want some money!!

Reactions: LevitatedMedia
Understood...I was simply addressing the statement from post 2 above...there is no FAA regulation forbidding part 107 flights over private property...I do you like your cranky Judge statement![emoji23] It seems post 9 thinks I'm looking to fly around aggravating people...not the case. I'm a part 107 operator and follow the rules....

We ARE allowed to fly over private property the same way any aircraft is allowed to fly over private property. You're NOT allowed to LAUNCH from private property without permission, and I think if you are specifically filming a private property, you need property owners permission, but if you're not filming that property (up close), then you don't need permission.

Having said that, it is in our best interest to let neighbors know that you are doing it.

Shining a laser at ANY aircraft IS illegal. As long as he is not flying over anyone that is outside (not in there house, or stationary car), he is within the Part 107 rule. Not sure how it could interfere with flight of the drone unless it messed up opti.

Regarding privacy, there has been a lot of discussion around privacy concerns and the fact remains that when outside your house, you don't have any reasonable right to privacy. The FAA gives guidance on privacy concerns but there is no law.

Different story if he's flying at 20' and filming inside windows without permission. That would be covered under existing privacy laws though.

And, if a law IS made saying drones can't film someone's house, then I will IMMEDIATELY sue Google for filming my house and putting it on google maps. I was outside when they did it so I want some money!!
Again, that depends on state and local laws as well. Be aware of your area regulations and laws regarding privacy. Ignorance is no defense.

Licensed pilot...I'll assume you think my mission is to fly over people and private property for aggravation purposes...how you derived that from my post is beyond me. Before you make assumptions, please know the facts.
OK, here's a fact. When you fly over residential neighborhoods, do you first ensure there's no one in their back yards. no one on the sidewalks, no cars on the streets; or do you just launch and hope for the best? Part 107. 39 is quite clear.

"We ARE allowed to fly over private property the same way any aircraft is allowed to fly over private property" you are absolutely correct, except if there are people outside those houses, unlike a manned aircraft, we would be in violation of FARs.

Licensed pilot: Not sure what attitude your referring to..and my point exactly...i couldn't leave my yard if I wanted to avoid private property, let along complete my commercial work. Of course you use common sense, and don't do stupid stuff...Post number 2 states flights over private dwellings is in direct violation of part 107...I'm asking where is that stated? So what are you talking about?
If you can't leave your yard w/o flying over other homes, then perhaps your yard is not the proper place to fly a UAV.

Reactions: lake_flyer
"We ARE allowed to fly over private property the same way any aircraft is allowed to fly over private property" you are absolutely correct, except if there are people outside those houses, unlike a manned aircraft, we would be in violation of FARs.

Agree, but I would argue that it's not as clear as the FAR makes it seem. For example, say your hovering over a piece of land (not over anyone), then suddenly a dirt biker rides out of the woods and stops right under your drone, or crosses underneath it. Technically, you're in violation, but how is that avoidable? And where do you draw the line of incidentally and purposefully flying over people? If you can be dinged for an incidental, then we may as well hang up our Remote Certs.

Reactions: HarvestMoon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adidasCampusShoes