Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Phantom for fun flying?

Reaction score
So I'd like to get another quad/drone to fly and use the Inspire for more productive uses. Since I'm assuming that most of the Inspire owners were previous Phantom owners, has anyone just use their Phantom to fly and play around with?

I have other quads but I really like the idea that I can slap a battery in my inspire and don't have to worry about charging, balancing, etc, etc. Though proprietary, DJI's system is very user friendly.

Point is, I'm thinking of buying a Phantom just to fly around. I don't care if it has the camera or not but anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about that? Has the "fly-away" problem been solved with the newer models? Is it necessary to get a newer model?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

I have the Phantom and the Phantom 2 Vision as well as an Inspire. I still enjoy flying the Phantoms around and will continue to do so since it's easy to transport and backpack.

I have the Phantom and the Phantom 2 Vision as well as an Inspire. I still enjoy flying the Phantoms around and will continue to do so since it's easy to transport and backpack.

Thanks Ted, that's what I was looking for. I figure if I play and ruin a 1200 phantom, it's better than trashing a 3K inspire.

Thanks,

Mark

Haven't taken my P2 + gimbal + GP3 out of the case since getting the Inspire honestly. But the weather in the northeast US is gong to warm up soon.

I can't bring myself to part with it.

I'll probably keep it just in case something catastrophic were to happen to the Inspire and I need a platform to make it to the point were I can afford a replacement.

Plus, it's a great little platform to teach my 8-year old son to fly in the park on weekends.

It's definitely fun, and much lighter to hike with. I sold mine and wish I hadn't. I will get another at some point.

I have 2 phantoms that I use for fun, and as backup. just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of them yet. Plus, I'd fly a phantom in lots of places that I wouldn't try to put my Inspire.

Reactions: damoncooper
i sold my 2 phantoms, to get the most $ value. they sold fast, and i got what i was asking. I have 2 inspires now, but sometimes i wish i had my p2. like on a boat, i could have used it recently, and getting close to things is easier with the p2, and when you get close to things the fish eye looks cool to me. i will wait and see if a new p3 comes out, i held on to my hero4 black. I noticed the price drop somewhere, seems to be an indicator of new stuff...

Reactions: jesmo5
I had a P2+ and sold it and bought the Inspire 1. SO FUN. SO STUPIDLY FUN! There is the videographer me who loves to get the perfect shot... then there is the little kid me who loves to just fly it around. It performs so well. I always find myself laughing when I come it to land. Such a great machine.

I have 2 phantoms that I use for fun, and as backup. just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of them yet. Plus, I'd fly a phantom in lots of places that I wouldn't try to put my Inspire.

That is actually the reason I purchased a Phantom. We ride sxs's and where we ride at some points are 2600 elevation with a plateau that I want a shot of. IF I ever had a problem and lost control, there is no way to recoup my Inspire off the side of that mountain.

If I lose a $1200 Phantom, it's not going to hurt so much…lol.

Mark

Kept both of my P2V+ and never looked back. I still use them as FPV racers in my yard. :D

Really glad I kept my Vision Plus.

I can send it to photo where I wouldn't dare risk my Inspire and where the Inspire doesn't have the range. Like recently to take photos of long deserted Island which involved nearly a mile flight over water.

I've kept my P2 with Gopro 4 for a couple of reasons. Firstly I have the Phantom fully kitted with GP4, H4-3D gimbal, 5 batteries, Pelican case, back pack, Ground Station, full FPV monitor and DVR set up etc.The actual Phantom is only about 30% of the cost of the kit. Secondly, it's much more convinient and easy to set up and use at short notice. I keep the P2 in the back of my truck at all times, you never know what you might come across. I've had several of my videos featured on the News here just by being in the right place etc. I told my accountant that the Inspire is only for paying work, he believed me.

Reactions: Eric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters