Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ProRes Soft.

Reaction score
All ProRes versions are giving an image straight from the camera that are a lot softer, in terms of focus, than
I was Expecting.
So much so that the H 264 material Looks much better.

I presume that this is to allow sharpening in post.

Any body got any knowledge around
This

Cheers Jim

All ProRes versions are giving an image straight from the camera that are a lot softer, in terms of focus, than
I was Expecting.
So much so that the H 264 material Looks much better.

I presume that this is to allow sharpening in post.

Any body got any knowledge around
This

Cheers Jim
Correct.
The ProRes has all the definition there it just has not been over sharpened with edge enhancement like the H264 has been.
Properly graded in post, the ProRes footage will yield far better results.

You are correct on the lack of sharpness. I sharpen all ProRes log video in post.

In a similar manner, This is not all that different from using unsharp mask in photoshop for raw still images. The latest DSLRs produce sharper raw files that do not often require unsharp mask.

Reactions: Ray271
I´m sorry, but I have to revive this thread for a second.

So, I am aware that prores is soft because of this and that. But no matter how much or what kind of sharpening I add in post I can´t seem to reach the level of detail in raw footage, hell, even the h264 footage looks better (in terms of sharpness/details only). I also can´t see that there is any noticeable difference in the downsampled 4K prores versus the 5.2K prores.

So this begs the question, how do you sharpen the prores footage to get the best results? What am I missing?

I´m mostly used to shooting raw, but it just takes to much space, and is a real PITA when quick turnarounds are needed. (But it gives ridiculous IQ!)
I prefer to edit in Premiere, but also use Final Cut and Davinci depending on what I need to do. They all have their strengths

Why not try the FCPEffects.com plugin called Sharpener. I use it with very satisfactory results on FCP X. For 5k ProRes editing, I often set the overall sharpen to about 3.

I have no relationship to he company. Hope this helps.

Barry

Why not try the FCPEffects.com plugin called Sharpener. I use it with very satisfactory results on FCP X. For 5k ProRes editing, I often set the overall sharpen to about 3.

I have no relationship to he company. Hope this helps.

Barry

Even the built in preset in FCPX "Sharpen" works well.

Reactions: ed.matthews4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nylebrown77