Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Quick Deploy Case

Can anyone confirm that the I1 won't go into travel mode with the camera mounted?

Correct, when in travel mode there is not enough room for the camera assembly; it needs to be removed beforehand.

i wonder if it would easily damaged the gimbal when travelling (even in the case) with the cam and gimbal installed. i dont mind the size of the case as long as it has wheels. the whole point is to eliminate the install props and cam process.

where do u go have the foam cut?

i wonder if it would easily damaged the gimbal when travelling (even in the case) with the cam and gimbal installed. i dont mind the size of the case as long as it has wheels. the whole point is to eliminate the install props and cam process.

where do u go have the foam cut?
Same for me, as long as it is not considered as an oversize luggage for international travel. I see you are based in Hong Kong so let me know if you find a place that sells and can customize the foam.

Correct, it's Pick/Pluck foam. Very dense scoring, looks like 1/2", maybe less. Should allow for a lot of flexibility.

I would expect this to be considered oversized luggage by any airline's standards, it's huge. I didn't get it for air travel, just everyday convenience. I'll update after I have fitted it to the Inspire 1.

Reactions: kilowonghk
All these other hard case alternatives are huge. Nothing really works well due to the height of the inspire. Due to height, stock cases are wider and deeper than we need. I personally am waiting to see what tradecraft comes up with. Their P2V cases were a good balance of protection, size, and weight. Per my emails with them, they should be announcing something in the next several weeks.

Ideally, I'm still hoping that someone fabricates a wheeled hard case shell that simply accommodates the DJI Case foam insert. We can then simply move the insert from one case to the other depending on need.

Reactions: johnmont250
If your goal is like mine, fitting the Inspire gear-down with props on (17.75 x 29 x 12), the case will be inherently large. If your take the props off, you can save significant space. The Pelican I got fits the gear-down props-on requirement nicely, it just has to be big to fit it.

My OEM case chunks out pieces of foam every time I use it. I even saw some caught in a motor before a flight once. I don't think they are built for long term use, but YMMV. I'll only be using the OEM case for air travel going forward, it is very convenient for that.

Fitted to the Inspire 1 with gear down, props on, camera on. It's like the Pelican 1690 was made for this. It slides in like a glove. I had to pull foam all the way to the non-pick/pluck foam perimeter. Front prop tips barely touch the foam, back prop tips seem to have a very slight space between them and the foam perimeter. Camera assembly is hanging freely, but surrounded by foam on all sides. It took a lot of work to get this configuration fitted right, ~3 hours, but it was worth the time. Still have plenty of room for accessory slots and even another controller if I buy one later. Despite the massive cutouts, the bird sits firmly and is very stable.

After I finalize the cut-outs, I'm going to Plasti-Dip every layer of foam to add durability and rigidity. Afterwards, I will likely fuse all the foam blocks together with spray on adhesive to make it one solid unit.

unnamed.jpg

its awesome! still have room for 2 pads, 2 chargers, and even the hand held gimbal. how deep is the case, can u show another horizontal photo? or pix ?

Last edited:
Not a problem for me. It's modular, so you can design it how ever you want.

This is absolutely perfect Rig. Thanks for doing this. Seriously though...you saved me hours of research and time. Now I just need to find an i1 in stock...lol

I was always against a big case. But now that I'm using the Inspire more often, I think I'd like a case that doesn't require the travel mode process. The props are a bonus, especially now that we have deal with locks It's a setup and dismantle that's eliminated with your case. Appreciate the effort and contribution to the forum.

I think I'm done with the fitment for now.

unnamed.jpg

Room for bird (props on, gear down, camera on), spare props, tablet, 5 spare batteries, charger + all cords, 1 remote, and accessory pocket (gloves currently). Obviously there is still plenty of room in the bottom right for more "stuff" if I need it, and the pocket where the gloves are can be expanded to include another remote if I get one in the future. I'm going to Plasti-Dip it in this configuration for now. I did a couple test blocks with Plasti-Dip (the two dark blocks in the bottom left), and found that it doesn't add much for rigidity, but it greatly reduces wear and separation. One of the blocks was chunking apart in several areas and after 2 coats of PD it now feels like one solid squishy block. I plan on applying 4 coats of PD to the case foam, which should prevent it from separating during daily use. I may use some 3M Super 77 to weld the bottom two layers together as well for additional support.

It's coming together.

You would resemble a turtle if you wore this case on your back, and the CG would be a pain (literally). How about after I finish this project, you be the test monkey for the 1690 backpack. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips