Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Quick Deploy Case

would you mind posting a link to the specific Plasti-Dip you are using?

I'm not familiar with the brand or how it works at all, but the setup you're working on seems great!

Matte Black Plasti Dip, available at your local big box hardware store. Also available on Amazon, but it's more expensive so I'd buy local. It dries to a rubbery skin. Typically used on cars as a paint that can be peeled off like vinyl, when you spray it on the pick/pluck foam it soaks in and bonds it all while retaining flexibility and cushion.

Rig

Do you know the total weight of the case including UAV, batteries, plasti dip foam and case. I assume it will be over 23kg ? I am toying with the idea of checked in luggage...

Rig

Do you know the total weight of the case including UAV, batteries, plasti dip foam and case. I assume it will be over 23kg ? I am toying with the idea of checked in luggage...

Check the dimensions, I'm not sure it would be accepted as checked luggage due to size. I'm still dipping the foam (weather has been forcing delays), but it should be done soon. I'll weigh it when it's all done and put back together.

Check the dimensions, I'm not sure it would be accepted as checked luggage due to size. I'm still dipping the foam (weather has been forcing delays), but it should be done soon. I'll weigh it when it's all done and put back together.

oh.. I would have thought this would be ok as the majority of airlines allow oversized bags, surf boards, golf bags and skiing equipment. There is however a weight restriction on european flights.

You're correct. The combined size of the 1690 is 79.48" (l+w+h), which means it would probably be accepted as oversized on most US airlines.

SWA Oversized: 62 - 80in
US Air Oversized: 62 - 126in

I'm not sure about Europe, you'd have to check your airline. My case's current weight with foam and case (nothing else inside) is 43.7lbs. It comes shipped as 43lbs. I removed a bunch of foam and added PD which is how it got to where it is.

You're correct. The combined size of the 1690 is 79.48" (l+w+h), which means it would probably be accepted as oversized on most US airlines.

SWA Oversized: 62 - 80in
US Air Oversized: 62 - 126in

I'm not sure about Europe, you'd have to check your airline. My case's current weight with foam and case (nothing else inside) is 43.7lbs. It comes shipped as 43lbs. I removed a bunch of foam and added PD which is how it got to where it is.

Thanks - very useful info. The rig and accessories should add another 10lb?

Thanks, Rig, for the Plasti-Dip tip. I hadn't heard that one before, and I have a ton of Pelican cases with the Pick and Pluck variety foam. Hopefully, this will help preserve those that I use often.

Thanks - very useful info. The rig and accessories should add another 10lb?

Everyone's loadout will be different, you'll have to weigh what you're putting in it. I'll weigh my all-up setup as soon as this is done. I haven't been able to spray PD for a week because of wind and rain.

Thanks, Rig, for the Plasti-Dip tip. I hadn't heard that one before, and I have a ton of Pelican cases with the Pick and Pluck variety foam. Hopefully, this will help preserve those that I use often.

It works, depending on how dense you spray. 1 coat gives it a rougher feel, but not much bonding strength. 2 coats starts to bond the outside. I'd use a minimum of 3 coats, and I'm applying 4 for this application specifically because I removed so much foam and want to makes sure it all stays together. Use 3m Super 77 spray adhesive on those pieces that have started breaking off already.

Two things to note, it will add weight and the dimensions will get 'tighter.' I did a test fit with everything last night and things are definitely more snug than when the foam was naked. I'm unsure if that's because the PD is allowing less movement in the foam or if it's because the PD has a lot more grip, but I'm sure it will find it's fit like a pair of jeans in time.

This is my first time doing this, risking over $200 of foam on this experiment, and I'm pleased with the results so far.

Reactions: CoastalBird
One other thing... The Plasti-Dip stinks. How long does it take to dissipate?

Yep, aerosol chemicals do that. I even used a gas mask to spray it on. I left the sprayed foam outside as long as weather permitted. Even if you can just let it sit out there a few hours, it won't stink nearly as bad when you bring it indoors. Indoors, I set them next to a fan and let the fan blow it out for a few days. I can now only smell it if I stick my nose right next to it. I'm sure it will be noticeable if it's been closed in the case for awhile as well, so I'll leave the lid open to ventilate when I can.

Happy with the results. The only issue I really had was after applying PD the props were grabbing the perimeter foam and bending, so I cut into the perimeter foam a bit in order to make it easier to put the bird in and take it out. If you plan on getting the E800 prop adapters in the future, just plan to store with props off. The new adapters make installing the props effortless. You could also get a smaller case if you wanted to travel with props off. The PD works great, but you need a lot of it to coat this amount of foam, especially with all the pockets I added. I went through about 10 cans of black to get 4 coats on everything and 2 cans of white (optional) to add some style and contrast to the bottom layer.

Full review on RigCast.

IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0438.JPG

Reactions: CoastalBird
I used a Pelican 1650 I had laying around and configured it to be just a more durable travel mode case. It survived my first checked baggage flight. I can see how the foam will loosen and crumble quickly.

Thanks for the plastic dip tip. When I get home, I will take it apart and coat it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423445920.989783.jpg

I used a Pelican 1650 I had laying around and configured it to be just a more durable travel mode case. It survived my first checked baggage flight. I can see how the foam will loosen and crumble quickly.

Thanks for the plastic dip tip. When I get home, I will take it apart and coat it.

Nice! Is that in travel mode?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop