Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Recent trip to Mexico "Customs & No Fly Zones"

Reaction score
Here I am concerned about traveling with batteries and they were never looked at. However, going into Mexico the customs officials never seen an IN 1 so here I stand as they rummage thru the hard case with all the accessories and can't figure what the IN 1 is. My answer is photo equipment and left it at that. After looking thru two cases and 15 minutes I was on my way. Thought all was clear. When flying in Mexico the people do not know the law or anything about NO FLY ZONES. On my third day of flying on beaches I just packed everything in the trunk and a minute later the Federalies Police came up 7 vehicles strong with anti- aircraft guns. Kidding about the AAG's but nevertheless they were all armed and LOOKING UP. I quickly disappeared. I did my homework before taking this trip and never was this place off limits. I found out on the 3rd day by a Canadian who has lived there for 20 years that knows city officials the area is off limits. I believe it's a recent law that was never really brought public. The long short of it all is if you do happen to encounter the same scenario be prepare to pay the police 3000 pesos or $200.00 and you'll most likely be ok. The equipment is not much good to them. Just be on your P & Q's and you should be okay and hopefully they won't take it for giggles. Hope this little experience is a help to others...

Flew in Mexco (Cacun and Cozumel) about 8 weeks ago, no issues whatsoever.

I've had the Mexican tourist board pick up my video and thank me for it.

You must have been near a sensitive area or something. Sounds bizarre.

Flew in Mexco (Cacun and Cozumel) about 8 weeks ago, no issues whatsoever.

I've had the Mexican tourist board pick up my video and thank me for it.

You must have been near a sensitive area or something. Sounds bizarre.
Cabo public beach, not even near the marina.

Anything in Mexico is a gamble. You need to be very careful down there. Definitely check out the U.S. State Department Website before you go down there and check into their recent threat conditions for that area or any other areas in the world you are planning on visiting.

Reactions: zackski
Anything in Mexico is a gamble. You need to be very careful down there. Definitely check out the U.S. State Department Website before you go down there and check into their recent threat conditions for that area or any other areas in the world you are planning on visiting.
Thanks Fang, checked YT - think I'll stay in the air:D

I just flew from SFO to PRV with my phantom 3p and pelican case. I was pulled aside as my case exited the customs scanner and asked to confirm that there was a drone inside. I was told that drone were not on the approved personal property list. Cost me $75 duty to get it released and me out the door.

Last edited:
Whoa, sorry to hear it. I must have been lucky in Cabos. I didn't declare the drone itself, just said it was photo equipment.
Customs didn't have a clue what they were looking at. Atmosphere must be changing in the past several months. Luckliy though, it could have cost you more - by hearing others stories.

Last edited:
I just flew from SFO to PRV with my phantom 3p and pelican case. I was pulled aside as my case exited the customs scanner and asked to confirm that there was a drone inside. I was told that drone were not on the approved personal property list. Cost me $75 duty to get it released and me out the door.

Mayer, any problems with no fly zones around the city? I previously wrote about my incident back in June in more detail. Just wondering if you encountered any PV off limit areas.

Last edited:
In PV you have the airport very close to the northern part or Marina area. I asked airport security a couple of weeks ago when I left from Mexico DF if they had noticed my drone and they said yes, no props, they see about 10 per day.
As for paying duty, only if you will leave the drone in Mexico. Better say it is a toy.
There are regs here in Mexico, 110m max height, licensing etc but poor communication between authorities means not really enforced if you behave yourself.

In PV you have the airport very close to the northern part or Marina area. I asked airport security a couple of weeks ago when I left from Mexico DF if they had noticed my drone and they said yes, no props, they see about 10 per day.
As for paying duty, only if you will leave the drone in Mexico. Better say it is a toy.
There are regs here in Mexico, 110m max height, licensing etc but poor communication between authorities means not really enforced if you behave yourself.
Golfo, thanks for the update, yes, I noticed few authorities and the majority of locals did not have any knowledge of UAV's and NFZ's. As you said, be professional and you should be okay, although still doesn't make you/bird bullet proof. It is interesting
they see nearly 10 a day coming in!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters