Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Recreational flights and photography

Reaction score
Curious about the legality of a few things in Canada.
I want to fly and capture some photo's of a boat launch for a fishing tournament. I am not using the UAV for hire, I dont currently plan to release any of these pictures. I plan to fly around a set of islands that the boats must pass near. The islands are about 300 ft off my front dock.
Would I need an SFOC for something like this?
The regulations are difficult to decipher as I am trying to understand.
As far as I understand, if I steer clear of being overhead of the boats themselves, steer clear by a horizontal distance of 100 feet, and maintain my VLOS I should be okay?

The Inspire 1 has previously been used for Forestry surveys. Several SFOC's are in the pipe for unrelated jobs.
Before it was used for Forestry work it was operating under an exemption, properly registered and all.
Should I be worried?
Should I not do this?
Is the release of the photo's a deal breaker?
Is the capture of the photo's a deal breaker?

Questions, queries, comments or suggestions?

If I'll have to worry every time about all issues you mention in regards to such scenario I'll sell my Inspire 1 Pro and quit this hobby immediately ... Fly high and far enough from boats or simply ask the boaters for permit to shot the video, stating the purpose.

If I'll have to worry every time about all issues you mention in regards to such scenario I'll sell my Inspire 1 Pro and quit this hobby immediately ... Fly high and far enough from boats or simply ask the boaters for permit to shot the video, stating the purpose.

Really??

The user explained that he wants to capture a boat launch event with a well known and stable DJI drone. All you have to offer is "you'll quit" if you see someone asking for advice on how to handle and fly such an event? You may treat this has a hobby for yourself but there are users that would like to get help with understanding what is possible and how to go about it.

As a recreational user as he states, he has the opportunity to capture this event as long as he flies in a safe and aware manner. Know your aircraft and know your abilities.

I have to agree w Dobmatt. That is akin to having to file a NOTAM every time you want to fly your drone in the park. Maintain safe respectable distance, LOS. Easy Peasy. I fly over inlets occasionally picking a moving boat to practice shots. I don't get too close, if circling rarely go as much as a revolution, then buzz off. No one getting harassed or pissed as long as the encounter is brief and not too intimate; akin to a couple of boats running in proximity.

Really?? All you have to offer is "you'll quit" if you see someone asking for advice on how to handle and fly such an event?
To my understanding RLTRMI know how to control the craft and how to achieve the goal in this particular case. Also, to my understanding the photography and/or video will be made for purely recreational reason and nowhere to be published. His doubts are about legal aspects of doing so in regards to Canadian regulations ... I was barely trying to explain my point of view, my personal opinion about the issue of being absurdly "law abiding citizen" when practicing our hobby with people in proximity. Flying with appropriate safety precautions and without annoyance to others is the only logic approach. I can't see any sense in being constantly worried by the possibility of somebody's privacy abuse. Said that, I'll gladly and kindly explain my business after the fact, when confronted. That's, however, is a matter of good manners only. Not the law, which is silent by far ...

Again, this is a hobby we're talking about.

Reactions: Cgland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela