Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Remote warranty after antenna mod

Reaction score
Website
www.dronelink.us
Interesting to know if I remove stock antennas and install connectors for my own antennas, will that void the warranty on the RC?
For exsample of i do firmware update and RC crashes beyong recovery and I have to send it in.
Thanks all

Interesting to know if I remove stock antennas and install connectors for my own antennas, will that void the warranty on the RC?
For exsample of i do firmware update and RC crashes beyong recovery and I have to send it in.
Thanks all
Remove antennas = Remove warranty. Simples!

Reactions: Kilrah
Most likely. DJI states the following in their warranty:

"The following conditions must be met for warranty service... No unauthorized disassembling, modification or installation has been performed."

In addition it is against the law (in most civilised countries) to tamper or alter fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices since by doing so most likely you are fitting higher gain antennas which means you will be breaching the legal limits of EIRP for the certification of that device.

In addition it is against the law (in most civilised countries) to tamper or alter fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices since by doing so most likely you are fitting higher gain antennas which means you will be breaching the legal limits of EIRP for the certification of that device.

Unless you are a HAM. Then EIRP doesn't matter; if using a booster you are limited to a 1W TX power on the CONTROL portion only (only because this is considered an RC vehicle). For the Lightbridge video, you can go up to 4W. Just don't forget to announce!

- Mike
KD0GGT

Unless you are a HAM. Then EIRP doesn't matter; if using a booster you are limited to a 1W TX power on the CONTROL portion only (only because this is considered an RC vehicle). For the Lightbridge video, you can go up to 4W. Just don't forget to announce!

- Mike
KD0GGT
Yes but most hack it and glue merchants are not licenced amateurs and in any case even if you are you would not be able to transmit at 4w on the video link since how would you embed your call sign into the data stream at regular intervals? You would also need to modify the lightbridge on the AC itself or boost it since the video feed comes from the Inspire as a downlink to the RC. Or am I missing something?

Yes but most hack it and glue merchants are not licenced amateurs and in any case even if you are you would not be able to transmit at 4w on the video link since how would you embed your call sign into the data stream at regular intervals? Or am I missing something?

You don't have to embed it into the stream. You just have to show it on start, 10m and the end. So a simple piece of paper with your call sign written on it and placed in front of the camera would suffice. With the RX/TX side, you are supposed to hang or have a label on the remote with your call sign for that.

To your point though, it is unrealistic that someone is going to 1W / 4W (even though they could) the setup. Rather, they will buy the FPVLR (basic or advanced). The advanced one comes with 2.5w boosters - and I am sure most people are just going to slap them on there and go fly. Realistically, they will probably never get caught. Yet, some of the HAMs really like to do foxhunts - but a lot of that seems to have died off in recent years.

Thanks,
-Mike

You don't have to embed it into the stream. You just have to show it on start, 10m and the end. So a simple piece of paper with your call sign written on it and placed in front of the camera would suffice. With the RX/TX side, you are supposed to hang or have a label on the remote with your call sign for that.

To your point though, it is unrealistic that someone is going to 1W / 4W (even though they could) the setup. Rather, they will buy the FPVLR (basic or advanced). The advanced one comes with 2.5w boosters - and I am sure most people are just going to slap them on there and go fly. Realistically, they will probably never get caught. Yet, some of the HAMs really like to do foxhunts - but a lot of that seems to have died off in recent years.

Thanks,
-Mike
You would have a problem at 10m though (unless you limited all your flights to 9:59 :p)

How is fixed antenna legally defined? There is obviously a connector inside the controller, so its only fixed for those that don't open it. I think I remember reading that a fixed antenna is soldered to the board or something like that.

I remember reading up on it when I got merked on the Arduino forum for using a 433 radio to make a pair of morse text communicators......... I of course am not civilised, and so didnt pay too much attention. Neither did I get it to succesfully transmit aythign other than about 4 specific characters.

How is fixed antenna legally defined? There is obviously a connector inside the controller, so its only fixed for those that don't open it. I think I remember reading that a fixed antenna is soldered to the board or something like that.

I remember reading up on it when I got merked on the Arduino forum for using a 433 radio to make a pair of morse text communicators......... I of course am not civilised, and so didnt pay too much attention. Neither did I get it to succesfully transmit aythign other than about 4 specific characters.
You uncivilised Moose you :p
Well, my understanding of fixed antenna equipment is anything that doesn't have a user/consumer pluggable antenna on the outside casing of the equipment is deemed fixed antenna device.
What you describe would necessitate a Joe public to disassemble their equipment to get at the plug and of course, that invalidates the warranty since you have attempted 'service' yourself and there would be deemed 'no user serviceable parts inside'
Not sure how a court of (out)law would interpret it though your honor.

Correct, if you need to take it apart then it is "fixed". It isn't only if the connector is externally accessible.

Ok guys, done deal.
Here is my clean install and mind blowing "screamers" 12 dBi antennas, testing tonight....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Congratulations - you have no warranty!
And you are breaking the law - double wammy.

I wonder why you even bothered creating this thread if your were already decided you were going ahead no matter what?

Relax, antennas are 3dB, less than what stock antennas are.
Warranty is something I have to take my chances with, if anything it takes DJI weeks and months for turnaround on repairs.
I have one dead remote at home now after I flashed firmware it died, dji telling me 6 to 12 weeks turnaround, is that warranty? Lol
What you call that?

Anyway, thanks all for input...

so what is the final goal of the mod? I cant see those antennas working out too well .

You are the first guy I have seen that has put the SMA connectors in the holes for the original antennas though, I cant work out why people always drill the case and mount them on the top.

The editor is right though, your device is now illegal. I wonder if there is a way to boost up the stock antennas with a purely internal mod, so that it isnt "illegal" looking,

If you boost stock stock antennas to deliver more than what the entent was you making it illegal and covering up...

Anything that has to do with amp, antenna mods illigsl, but still lots of people doing it.

I am planing to keep 5dBi antennas on it for now to stay in the factory power spec.
Warranty of dji suck, so loosing it was not s big loss.

and not going to talk about it furthermore, this is wrong place for it.

Just wanted to share my clean install and that's about it...

I appreciate your clean install.......
I would consider a mod that lets me boost power when I need to, Ie if the amps just passthrough when off...... thatway if you dont need to break the law you dont, and if you find yourself about to lose a couple of grand then the law might not be quite so important to you and a boost might be :)
kind of like the LRS systems out there.

I agree though, talking about certain things online isnt a great idea.

Reactions: Kilrah
Between you and me :)

Here is how I managed to stick connectors in the exsisting antenna holes. I did grind off antenna head till it can fun tight inside, than you can epoxy it or hot glue to keep it in place. But if you get your grinding just right, it goes inside nice and tight.
Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters