Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reporting "commercial" UAV use

Yes it costs a small fortune here in Australia to get a licence so if an unlicensed pilot is taking money out of your pocket and also bringing the value down then it is they who should get the stitches.

I have to agree with this, I'm all for anarchy and sticking it to "the man", but there has to be a line.

Anarchy is the condition of a society, entity, group of people or a single person which does not recognize authority.[1] It originally meant leaderlessness, but in 1840, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon adopted the term in his treatise What Is Property? to refer to a newpolitical philosophy, anarchism, which advocates stateless societies based on voluntary associations.

So in terms of Anarchy, there isn't a line when it comes to the government, it simply doesn't recognise their authority.
You my man sound like you are an on the fence wannabe anarchist, not paying parking tickets can get you into a lot of trouble you know :)

(Don't take this seriously, I know someone will misunderstand a joke and go ape)

If you feel it is right thing to report it ,then do it with your signature attached. Be a person with character and don't act as snitch.
THAT is the way to do it, With a pair............
I have seen people who drive cars without road tax, have I reported them? Definitely not, I am all for tax evasion of any kind.
I have seen people who drive cars without insurance, have I reported them? Nope, They will find out the hard way one day.
I have seen people who cannot afford to pay insurance, but have to drive in order to feed their families. Once they could do, they did pay insurance. Guess if I reported that or not.
I have also seen people who have driven whilst under a driving ban for speeding offences, they had to in order to keep their job.

The bottom line here is that people sometimes do things out of necessity, that doesn't make them bad people. Sometimes people do things out of ignorance, the solution here is to educate them and give them a chance to show that they are not bad people.

Some people do things out of a sheer disregard for rules, safety and those around them.

I have seen people joy riding stolen cars, driving them dangerously and abandoning them in my local community, did I report them? You can bet your arse I did, I even ran them down so that the useless police that had lost them during the car chase could find them again.

Why were they reported and the others mentioned weren't? It was the intention of wilfully endangering peoples lives, potentially removing peoples freedom to live a peaceful life, and not the mention downright theft.

If you are a decent person, then go and talk to the person in question and find out why they do what they do, then if they know fully that they are in the wrong and they are a ****, report them with a pair and put your name on the form.....

THAT is the way to do it, With a pair............
I have seen people who drive cars without road tax, have I reported them? Definitely not, I am all for tax evasion of any kind.
I have seen people who drive cars without insurance, have I reported them? Nope, They will find out the hard way one day.
I have seen people who cannot afford to pay insurance, but have to drive in order to feed their families. Once they could do, they did pay insurance. Guess if I reported that or not.
I have also seen people who have driven whilst under a driving ban for speeding offences, they had to in order to keep their job.

The bottom line here is that people sometimes do things out of necessity, that doesn't make them bad people. Sometimes people do things out of ignorance, the solution here is to educate them and give them a chance to show that they are not bad people.

Some people do things out of a sheer disregard for rules, safety and those around them.

I have seen people joy riding stolen cars, driving them dangerously and abandoning them in my local community, did I report them? You can bet your arse I did, I even ran them down so that the useless police that had lost them during the car chase could find them again.

Why were they reported and the others mentioned weren't? It was the intention of wilfully endangering peoples lives, potentially removing peoples freedom to live a peaceful life, and not the mention downright theft.

If you are a decent person, then go and talk to the person in question and find out why they do what they do, then if they know fully that they are in the wrong and they are a ****, report them with a pair and put your name on the form.....
I absolutely agree with you. I have no fear of putting my name on the form. Infant. I would like them to know it was me that reported them. I agree with you in all you wrote but people know they have to have license and think them can get away with it. They cant. I will report who I know is playing with my business.. no matter what.

Personally, I wouldn't report it unless you feel that there is a potential danger to other human beings, not including the pilots themselves of course.
I concur, more people are flying commercial than you can imagine. But if they are threatening people report it to the local law enforcement. They are the ones to handle this. There are plenty of tort laws on the books to handle this. The FAA has no police department.

Personally, I wouldn't report it unless you feel that there is a potential danger to other human beings, not including the pilots themselves of course.

Go ahead and report...FAA is not doing anything anyways with them, and their a TON of them. However becareful doing it. Many are finding our who is reporting them by going abouts with a FOIA request. Even though the FAA are slow at responding they are responding. Some are just doing it on weekends for extra cash and not running insurance and any safety precautions that the FAA would require you to use with a 333.

Good points all. Makes me think. Here's a strange situation in our area. There is a large lake immediately south of our main airport. In fact, the lake runs right up to the end of the main runway. I believe the lake is the safe zone before the runway where planes could ditch if they had to and not hit anything except water. Well, it's lakefront property for the tons of people who live around it. Very valuable and heavily populated, with guys who have money. They are now buying quad copters and flying them regularly over the lake...in other words, directly in the flight path for aircraft from small, single engine planes to commercial passenger jets. Ours is a small airport. I don't think there is a large presence of FAA people there. They may not know. Should they? Should I be the one to notify them?

I would contact the client and tell them about the dangers of hiring pilots that do not have commercial aviation insurance. Hiring a hobbiest puts the client/company at tremendous liability risk. I researched and could not find a company that does general business liability and cover UAV. So in other words if someone gets hurt no one is properly insured and at massive liability risk. That should scare anyone/business who cares about their business, 401k and savings/house.

how about this .... mind your business and let other people do what they want to do I'm sure they are grown men/women and they know the risks for doing what they are doing and unless you actually see them put someones life or property in harms way why get involved in tier business ?? because they are getting jobs and your not? lmmfao...1.go and put hard work in and get your own jobs!!!
2.maybe they are getting more jobs because they are better pilots/photographers and that makes you jealous ??
3. just live your life and worry about what goes on in your life why would you want to make problems for someone else?? it could be possibly be that they are using that extra monies to support their family why would you tale that away from the (especially this time of year)

4. what if they found out it was you and decided to do some kind of harm to you or your property(do you need that in your life) ...(and i don't care how tough you are or how you can take stitches unless your superman stay out of it and LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW OTHERS LIVE THIERS!!

that is my 2 cents you can take it as knowledge.. were i grew up a tattle tale is the lowest form on eartho_O;);)

how about this .... mind your business and let other people do what they want to do I'm sure they are grown men/women and they know the risks for doing what they are doing and unless you actually see them put someones life or property in harms way why get involved in tier business ?? because they are getting jobs and your not? lmmfao...1.go and put hard work in and get your own jobs!!!
2.maybe they are getting more jobs because they are better pilots/photographers and that makes you jealous ??
3. just live your life and worry about what goes on in your life why would you want to make problems for someone else?? it could be possibly be that they are using that extra monies to support their family why would you tale that away from the (especially this time of year)

4. what if they found out it was you and decided to do some kind of harm to you or your property(do you need that in your life) ...(and i don't care how tough you are or how you can take stitches unless your superman stay out of it and LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW OTHERS LIVE THIERS!!

that is my 2 cents you can take it as knowledge.. were i grew up a tattle tale is the lowest form on eartho_O;);)
YES!!!!!!

Had a conference call with our attorney over the blanket FAA letter we received. EVERYONE is getting them, especially if you are turned in or posting and "seen". Mine was a godsend because now I know I can market my business as much as I want "WITHOUT" having my 333 yet, I have filed in October. I also can post and shoot video on youtube as much as I want. Yes there are restrictions and disclaimers that will be on it but having someone who knows the laws helping you will keep you safe and flying...:)

Had a conference call with our attorney over the blanket FAA letter we received. EVERYONE is getting them, especially if you are turned in or posting and "seen". Mine was a godsend because now I know I can market my business as much as I want "WITHOUT" having my 333 yet, I have filed in October. I also can post and shoot video on youtube as much as I want. Yes there are restrictions and disclaimers that will be on it but having someone who knows the laws helping you will keep you safe and flying...:)
Good job, get the attorneys involved! The FAA has over reached on this issue,,fly baby fly. Just follow the general rule4s and make gazillions

So I'm debating reporting a few companies i know of who fly Phantoms as "professionals" as part of their business. THese guys are idiots and shouldn't be flying commercially. I've got to the FAA site a few times to report them but every time get concerned that somehow they'll find out who reported them, and I don't need that in my life. It says anonymous, but it still requires an email, so I made a new email, but still worry.

Has anyone made a report on the FAA site, any issues?

And is this the proper page? Don't see a specific UAV hotline page.

it sounds like they are your competition and you are trying to stifle them????? This is happening ALOT in CANADA, False reporting s to get a company in "trouble" If this is not your reasoning then ok but hmmmm

Or maybe the fact that they didn't pay for insurance and the cost of a pilots license and therefore offer a service at a price that is undercutting you. We are still waiting for our exemption but you can bet that if I saw somebody that was skirting the rules I'd turn them in. I'll have 10s of thousands in this when it's all said and done. I'm supporting my family as well and I'll be damned if somebody is going to take the low road and undercut me because they don't have any skin in the game. I'll call them, sign my name to every **** thing I file. If they have a problem with it they can certainly come find me.

Reactions: DennisR
Snitches get stitches. Besides it's not an enforceable law anyway. Don't be that guy, nobody likes that guy.

Bah, beat me to it.
Yea I think it's pretty lame to report other people who really aren't affecting your livelihood or safety (or the safety of others). It's like driving, if I see some dude barreling down the road late at night clearly drunk then yes I will obviously report him right away. If I were to see a guy look both ways and run a red light late at night when there's nobody around, not like I'm going to pick up the phone and call the cops...
People get pretty up in arms if someone else is doing something wrong and getting away with it. It's human nature... But if they truly are operating blatantly dangerously then karma will catch up with them.

Reactions: SultanGris
Good points all. Makes me think. Here's a strange situation in our area. There is a large lake immediately south of our main airport. In fact, the lake runs right up to the end of the main runway. I believe the lake is the safe zone before the runway where planes could ditch if they had to and not hit anything except water. Well, it's lakefront property for the tons of people who live around it. Very valuable and heavily populated, with guys who have money. They are now buying quad copters and flying them regularly over the lake...in other words, directly in the flight path for aircraft from small, single engine planes to commercial passenger jets. Ours is a small airport. I don't think there is a large presence of FAA people there. They may not know. Should they? Should I be the one to notify them?
I would report them.Someone could end up getting killed.

... Be a person with character and don't act as snitch.

Your idea of character differs to mine. To me the person with character, is the one with the integrity to stand up and report wrong wherever it occurs. As the saying goes, "The only thing needed for evil to prosper, is for good people to do nothing"
The idea of a "snitch" is a stereotype promoted by those with a lot to gain from dissuading the reporting of illegal activities.
It takes true honour and integrity and character to stand against wrong, it takes cowardice to turn a blind eye.

If Karma was truly good at catching up with the people doing the wrong thing, then almost every CEO, Politician, and 75% of the general population, would constantly be in deep doo-doo.
Karma sucks at getting people that deserve it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido