Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reporting "commercial" UAV use

All of that sounds great but in a fly away situation it doesn't matter if you are commercial or private the risk is the same. If a pilots license it required for commercial it should be required for private as well. I'm just debating the people saying that just because they are doing commercial work that people should be licensed. It makes no sense in my opinion

You're wrong. It makes a great difference if you are a commercial pilot when you have a fly away. In you Operational Manual is clearly laid out the steps the Pilot and other crew need to take in case of any emergency. Also, emergency situations have been trained and tested before passing the exam. Commercial pilots have to be able to fly in manual (most fly aways are simply loss of GPS/Barometer assistance, and easy to recover flying manually).
On top of that, commercial pilots run a risk analysis and mitigation procedure before every flight operation. They brief their crew (min. 1 observer and sometimes a sensor operator) about the risks and the procedures prior to, during and after, the flight.
Only after all checklists are done, point by point, it is clear to take off. Everything is logged handwritten.
The commercial crafts all have to be officially certified for airworthiness and properly insured for professional work, exactly as mentioned in the OM. Anything outside the specifications will cancel insurance pay out. The pilot has to carry a medical attest with him at all times. The medical test is the same as for an air traffic controller (in my country).

Oh, and we all spent A LOT of time and even more money to get this far. Don't think that a professional RPAS pilot is likely to going to risk his investment and license by doing anything remotely stupid.

And yes, I am sick and tired to read how stupid and careless a lot of hobby pilots are.

To all those stupid lawbreakers I would say: Don't even bother to ever get a license please, don't get in my world. Please stay the ignorant hobby anarchists you are. Sooner or later your hobby will be made impossible by stricter regulations. And we will finally be freed from the daily drone bashing stories in the news. That's the moment people start to realise that drones are indeed a very serious technical enhancement to our lives,, in the hands of licensed, skilled, responsible (and insured) pilots.

And to all good willing and safe flying hobby pilots: I really hope it all turns out less dramatic for all of you. I would love to see more personal responsibility and less rules. The more rules the harder it becomes to follow them all at the same time.

pfffff, now I better have another dark roasted arabica and relax, before I start eating my company logo embroidered cap :)

I know this thread must be having a hard time today with the part 107 release. Just like I said a couple weeks ago. The pilots license is great for piloting a manned aircraft. Just not needed for VLOS operation. Now someone can commercially operate a UAS after taking a test and getting the remote pilot certificate. Total cost about $250-$300. There are some other small requirements that would normally come like insurance and other items but far from needing a full blown pilots license. Im glad the FAA released common sense rules regarding this. I think for the guys that have a pilots license your area that would be awesome to venture into is the flying out of VLOS.

Last edited:
I know this thread must be having a hard time today with the part 107 release. Just like I said a couple weeks ago. The pilots license is great for piloting a manned aircraft. Just not needed for VLOS operation. Now someone can commercially operate a UAS after taking a test and getting the remote pilot certificate. Total cost about $250-$300. There are some other small requirements that would normally come like insurance and other items but far from needing a full blown pilots license. Im glad the FAA released common sense rules regarding this. I think for the guys that have a pilots license your area that would be awesome to venture into is the flying out of VLOS.
A pilot licence will not give you 3d depth perception BVLOS...

A pilot licence will not give you 3d depth perception BVLOS...
No but a company local to me has bought a drone that flys 10 hours a day and the guys that are in charge of flying it have to be licensed pilots. They have the 333 and other items needed to fly that thing. We are in the USA. So yesterday what was suppose to be a 1 hour meeting for them ended up being a 6 hour meeting after the announcement that was made. I think there are like 2 companies in the US that has the stuff that can do it and they are on the list to be the 3rd I believe.

Totally understand all that and your in the US.
Point I was making was about you saying it would be awesome for pilots for pilots to bow venture into BVLOS. Hence my post.

Back to the topic of this thread, has anyone successfully filed a report of commercial UAV use to the FAA? Care to share your experience here or via PM?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool