Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reporting Pilot App crashes?

Reaction score
Hi all,

A brand new Inspire Pilot here. I've been monitoring the forums, reading the manuals, building extensive checklists (cloned and extended from several here), playing with the Pilot app (with the copter grounded in my living room), cringing at the fly-aways, and watching tons of FABULOUS footage on YouTube.

First off, thanks to all the excellent help here on the forums, in the FAQ's, posted videos, etc. LOTS of valuable information and responsive participants. I finished my second set of orientation flights this morning with no real problems, mostly due to the excellent information online. Really, really fun to fly. What a remarkable technology!

The one significant issue I had was the DJI Pilot app crashing. It happened three times yesterday during my first set of orientation flights (once in the air with no apparent loss of control, twice on the ground), and once this morning (on the ground). Each crash was accompanied by a Google app crashing, so I'm thinking it's the Google app that's at fault, and it's taking down the Pilot app with it. I'm running on a new Nvidia Shield with the most current Pilot app installed. All components (three batteries and the remote) have up-to-date firmware.

In all cases, the app restarted itself and was back up and running quickly, but it worries me what would happen if I was in a more challenging maneuver when it happened than my simplistic orientation flights.

So, my questions are: Is there a formal process for reporting Pilot app crashes? Does DJI want to know about them, and if so, how and what information should I include? I know the Shield isn't on their supported tablet list, but does that prevent me from reporting the issue?

Sorry if I missed this information somewhere in the forums, but repeatedly searching for a formal reporting method didn't turn up anything.

Thanks,
mTp

Last edited:
If you've got other strange things happening (Google app crashing is one) I'd suspect the tablet rather than the Pilot app. I.e. start by doing all system updates there might be for your tablet, then do a factory reset, and install nothing but the Pilot app.

Reactions: sirnikolas
As Kilrah mentions, this is going to be your tablet or conflict with an app on your tablet otherwise we would hear of crashes from numerous people.

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I'll do the system updates, re-install the Pilot app. It's a brand new tablet and the only things I've installed are the Pilot app and the ES File Explorer file manager for getting the app off the SD card. But, I haven't done the "system updates" (I'm also brand new to Android tablets as well...so much to learn!!).

The ONLY thing I plan to do with this tablet is operate the copter. So, I'll try to determine what of all the pre-installed apps I can get rid of to make it dedicated to the Pilot app.

Thanks again,
mTp

I have the same issues.. using a new Galaxy note 4... google crashes as well as the Pilot App... the only thing on my tablet is the app.. it happens 4 or 5 times during a 2 hour flight day... I've never lost control of the I1 but it is worrisome.

I have the same issues.. using a new Galaxy note 4... google crashes as well as the Pilot App... the only thing on my tablet is the app.. it happens 4 or 5 times during a 2 hour flight day... I've never lost control of the I1 but it is worrisome.

As recommended above, I did all the Android upgrades, and my Shield now seems to be running OK. Sadly, I haven't had the time to do any significant flying, but the flights I have done since the upgrades have had no Pilot app crashes. I hadn't realized that as soon as I complete an upgrade, another one may be immediately available, especially on a new device. I kept top swiping down the notifications and choosing the next upgrade until they were all completed (three in all). As I said, seems to be running fine now.

mTp

If it is anything like a nexus tablet, you can go into settings and turn off other apps, especially the google updates. I also put it in airplane mode. It is frustrating but I have always had control.

My app crashes nearly every trip out to fly and sometimes it causes my iPad air2 to restart as well. Nothing loaded onto the air2 other than the Pilot App.
As Kilrah mentions, this is going to be your tablet or conflict with an app on your tablet otherwise we would hear of crashes from numerous people.

My app crashes nearly every trip out to fly and sometimes it causes my iPad air2 to restart as well. Nothing loaded onto the air2 other than the Pilot App.
Not familiar with Apple stuff,but a factory reset and installing an old versions works well on my Android tablet.Maybe this helps for you also

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips